Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) Reviews

April 20, 2015
One of the greatest films ever made. One of the few that can actually be enjoyed by most people today. Timeless.
March 22, 2015
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a 1920 German film directed by Robert Wiene, written by Carl Mayer and Hans Janowitz, and starring Werner Krauss, Conrad Veidt, and Friedrich Feher - about a creepy old man and his freaky fair sideshow and the mysterious murders taking place during their presence.

Direction: 2/2
Very strong direction. The director was very in control and thorough with his actors performances and setting the mood for the story. The sets are absolutely amazing, in a bizarre way. The colors, the shapes of the doors, buildings, windows, etc., the make-up, the behavior, was all so peculiar and well done. It definitely kept my attention.

Acting: 2/2
Extremely dramatic. I would consider it too dramatic but I don't want to knock points off for different styles in different eras. It worked for this film, for sure. It was laughable at some points but it's a silent film so I understand that they had to be creative with communicating through their bodies. Dr. Caligari and Cesare were acted perfectly. They were so creepy and weird. They did a great job.

Screenwriting: 1/2
It's a silent film so really all I can do is comment on the story, rather than the dialogue. The story itself was a trip. Creative, different, interesting. I really enjoyed this film. I was glad to find that it still spooked me despite being from a different time, from a different country, and honestly, because I just don't get spooked too easily. Definitely a fan of the story. I have to say though that if a movie constantly makes me think "Why did you do that?? You should have --" then in my opinion, it could have been better. There were many times where the characters did things that were straight up stupid or just completely puzzling.

Cinematography: 2/2
Good!! Gotta keep in mind that this was made during the very early years of cinema and the cinematography was either of their own invention or a technique borrowed from fellow film pioneers.

Bechdel test: 0/1
Did not pass. The only female character was Francis's romantic interest and her only role was to be the prize and the dame in distress.

Did I enjoy it? 1/1
I sure did! Definitely recommend it!

Do I ever want or need to see it again? Yes, I would want to watch again.
Do I ever want or need to include it in my own collection? Yes, I own it happily.

Bye love you
-jessie carlson
March 19, 2015
The reason why this 1920 German film is so important is because of the impact it had on horror and art design for decades to come. The sinister Dr. Caligari arrives in a small town and obtains a license for his sideshow spectacle, the cabinet which holds a sleepwalker under his hypnotic control. As the murders pile up, a local resident attempts to track down the truth about Dr. Caligari and his show.

The pacing is somewhat glacial, even for a movie that is only a little over an hour long, but the shots are full of inventive expressionistic imagery. The movie is so visually stunning, and watching it in high definition I loved noticing details like fabrics and even clearer views of the art. Both Dr. Caligari and the sleepwalker reflect this art design in their clothing, makeup, and movements. The actors do some truly wonderful things with their expressions.

I really liked the twist at the end, though it has been suggested that the framing story was added to undermine the film's critique of German authority after World War I. Either reading works, but modern audiences may relate more to the framing story because we have seen this twist so many times since then and it fits with our own fears and apprehensions. I think the movie works with or without the framing story.

Why not 5-stars? As I mentioned before, I find the movie a little slow. The plot is also pretty simple, and there are some moments in the film, especially involving Jane, that seem a little out of place, mostly because the art design is so different from the rest of the film. I would have liked to have seen more of her character, but in this respect, the movie rushes past her.

Many horror films in the decades that followed emulated certain elements of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," such as the use of strong lights and shadows in particular scenes, the way the setting amplifies the atmosphere and mood, and the twists and turns the plot takes.
March 10, 2012
Best score and art direction ever.
August 27, 2014
An amazing film full of astonishing imagery. Kino's release with the restored tinting and a new modern score is a must-have.
½ February 17, 2015
Ok, so this movie was voted number 1 on the list of the best horror movies of all time? Come on!! Better than "The Exorcist"? This movie is boring and ridiculous.
November 13, 2011
- Watched a new 4k restoration on blu-ray and the film looked amazing, to think that this movie is over 95yrs old! One of the first horror films, this movie stills influences directors today which it's unique style. The is an absolute MUST for any serious film fan!

- A very influential film...you can see the influence on guys like Tim Burton and Rob Zombie...
January 23, 2015
Absolutely freaking brilliant! For a early silent horror movies; this reaches the apex of expectations. The set designs, the music and the expressions; absolutely loved it
January 29, 2015
No Caligari, no Tim Burton. Full review later.
½ January 27, 2015
A creepy, surreal, and very interesting oddity that could be argued marks the very beginning of the slasher horror sub genre; although this was made nearly one hundred years ago so don't expect any blood, frisky naked "teenagers", or detailed death scenes. This, truth be told, is something that really needs to be broken down and debated to get the most out of the more subtle and abstract themes and ideas. Throughout there are clear modern influences, most notably in many examples of Tim Burton's work, with its crooked trees, deathly pale characters, and warped buildings. Everyone with a fondness of classic cinema should watch this as it is brilliantly unique as it is weird.
January 20, 2015
Clà sico del cine mudo y del expresionismo alemà n , tiene momentos aterradores.
March 27, 2008
Remastered and a running time of 77min, this is the best version ever of Dr.Caligari. I was impressed by how clean the picture was compared to earlier versions.
October 18, 2011
While not particularly entertaining, the film that began the period of German Expressionism is deserving of its reputation, as it presents some truly beautiful aesthetics, remarkable even by today's standards. Worth a look.
December 18, 2014
A classic! The expressionist set is incredible!
December 2, 2014
Its set designs are still incredibly unique to this day, and its atmosphere and use of storytelling still holds up on the suspense. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a textbook classic that ages extremely well
½ November 29, 2014
The German expressionist masterpiece is a nightmare, in a good way, that's definitely worth watching for its special setting and visuals, and a plot twist way ahead of its time.
½ November 2, 2014
Can't believe the reviews for this piece of sh*t.
October 23, 2014
One of the most important motion pictures ever made. One of the most original motion pictures ever made.
October 22, 2014
Arguably the first true horror film, this is a total masterpiece of German Expressionism. The amazing thing is how well it still holds up today. It's a tense and exciting 52 minutes, complete with fantastic, distorted visuals and a downright eerie vibe. Although it's almost a century old, it remains a genuine horror experience. A truly masterful film.
½ July 10, 2013
Apart from the oddly designed sets I really don't see the appeal of this film or why it is so highly rated. Yes, the story is spooky and the Somnambulist is a pretty freaky looking bloke but the whole film is padded with pointless scenes. The full movie could have been made into a 20 minute short film without losing anything.