The Champ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Champ Reviews

jjnxn
April 23, 2009
Effective tearjerker is peopled with fine talent, some like Joan Blondell underused, but will stop at nothing to wring those tears from the audience.
Good movie.
iLeo
½ April 23, 2009
A great movie! Rick Schroder coming of age in this one. Good story plot.
½ September 26, 2015
This extremely maudlin remake may seem acceptable to those who haven't seen the original 1931 Oscar Best Picture winner by King Vidor and starring Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper. It pales very badly by comparison; a remake that should NEVER have been made. Don't bother with this one. See the original which is much more compelling with the inherently melodramatic plot.
½ October 13, 2014
The Champ is a powerful and emotionally resonant film that has heart, soul, and one of the saddest endings in film history. (God, that kid is a great actor!)
½ May 21, 2014
Jesus Christ, this fuckin' movie. I cried when the kid got the horse, I cried when they almost took the horse away, I cried when the kid was swimming with his mom, I cried when the kid was sad. I cried at every goddamn thing in this movie. I don't really know what to say about it... Great cast. Amazing performance from that goddamn kid.
May 27, 2010
I love this movie, I couldn't stop crying when I saw this movie there are so many part on the movie that are so touching that you can't help me pour your tears put.
½ April 23, 2009
Made me cry so hard I didn't want to go to school the next morning. Heartbreaking at the very least. Just an emotionally draining movie. Good, but geez, such a sad ending.
November 10, 2009
Completely unnecessary remake, way over sentimental, over acted, over produced, over everything. They should have left well enough alone. Jon Voight is no Wallace Beery, that's for sure.
October 23, 2009
*1/2 (out of four)

Dreadful remake of the 1931 classic about a washed up boxer (Jon Voight) who bonds with his son (Ricky Schroder). But, things change when the boy's mother (Faye Dunaway) arrives on the scene and wants custody. This cause the father to step back into the ring.

Overly sentimental and just plain obvious. It seems every moment is set up to make the audience burst into tears as the music swells.
April 23, 2009
The strong acting just wasn't enough for me to really like this film. All of the standard stops are pulled out to play with your emotions.
½ November 7, 2015
Such a sad movie. But amazing.
½ September 26, 2015
½ August 16, 2015
I thought the champ was fair jon voight played an alkie ,gambler ex boxer who is a horsetrainer and rick Schroder plays his son TJ there was one scene where voights character ends up using a racehorse which he got for his son but ends up later using it to pay a gambling debt I thought faye dunaway saved the movie some as voights ex wife who they bump into at a racetrack
½ October 13, 2014
July 12, 2014
A gripping melodrama and a truly tearjerker in cinematic sport.
½ May 21, 2014
February 6, 2014
Take the good aspect of the story - leave the trivia out !
Thus the performances of the leading characters are awesome.
September 2, 2013