The Champ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Champ Reviews

April 23, 2009
Effective tearjerker is peopled with fine talent, some like Joan Blondell underused, but will stop at nothing to wring those tears from the audience.
Good movie.
½ April 23, 2009
A great movie! Rick Schroder coming of age in this one. Good story plot.
½ April 23, 2009
Made me cry so hard I didn't want to go to school the next morning. Heartbreaking at the very least. Just an emotionally draining movie. Good, but geez, such a sad ending.
November 10, 2009
Completely unnecessary remake, way over sentimental, over acted, over produced, over everything. They should have left well enough alone. Jon Voight is no Wallace Beery, that's for sure.
½ April 23, 2009
Rick Schroder makes his film debut alongside Jon Voight and Faye Dunaway in this tear-jerker of a movie about a father-son relationship and the hardships they go through to stay strong and stay together. The Champ is certainly affecting, and all three leads take the film so earnestly that somehow it works. Voight is believable both as a boxer and as a well-intentioned screw-up of a dad, and Schroder is a fine young actor (and irresistibly adorable). The Champ will succeed in stealing your heart everytime.
April 23, 2009
Little Rick Schroder is adorable in this painful to watch drama. You want to sympathize with Voight, but that kid is just so damn cute you can't help but hate the guy for not giving him a better life....
½ April 23, 2009
Broke my heart. I cried and cried. Came out of the movie theater and went right to my dad and cried into his chest. I will never forget it. I was 11 years old.
April 23, 2009
Really good emotional movie! Have a hankie ready. This is one of my favorite movies. I cry everytime Rick Schroder does that scene where he is crying at the end. It's heartbreaking, but well worth seeing.
½ September 26, 2015
This extremely maudlin remake may seem acceptable to those who haven't seen the original 1931 Oscar Best Picture winner by King Vidor and starring Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper. It pales very badly by comparison; a remake that should NEVER have been made. Don't bother with this one. See the original which is much more compelling with the inherently melodramatic plot.
½ August 16, 2015
I thought the champ was fair jon voight played an alkie ,gambler ex boxer who is a horsetrainer and rick Schroder plays his son TJ there was one scene where voights character ends up using a racehorse which he got for his son but ends up later using it to pay a gambling debt I thought faye dunaway saved the movie some as voights ex wife who they bump into at a racetrack
July 12, 2014
A gripping melodrama and a truly tearjerker in cinematic sport.
½ May 21, 2014
Jesus Christ, this fuckin' movie. I cried when the kid got the horse, I cried when they almost took the horse away, I cried when the kid was swimming with his mom, I cried when the kid was sad. I cried at every goddamn thing in this movie. I don't really know what to say about it... Great cast. Amazing performance from that goddamn kid.
February 6, 2014
Take the good aspect of the story - leave the trivia out !
Thus the performances of the leading characters are awesome.
½ August 5, 2013
It really tells something and it resonate throughout our life.
February 3, 2013
An exceptional remake of King Vidor's 1931 piece of the same name, centred around the relationship between a washed-up has-been boxer and his well-mannered son. Superbly written by Walter Newman and directed by Franco Zeffirelli, the film engages with strong performances from the three central players. Jon Voight is excellent as our titular protagonist, Faye Dunaway is lovely as his ex-wife, and youngster Ricky Schroder, who out-shines them all, is an absolute gem, delivering a performance that is fueled with integrity. Don't miss this one.
January 16, 2013
A former boxing champion struggling with gambling and drinking problems still manages to bring up a loving kid. However, one day, his mother pops up, wanting the child back. This leads to an emotional showdown that takes The Champ back to the squared circle. Remake of a King Vidor classic, the roots of the storyline are planted in classic American cinema. But while this film is directed by a glamorous Zeffirelli, it is often too melodramatic and goes against the flow of the more updated and gritty American New wave of its time.
January 1, 2012
I recently revisited this movie to test my fond memories of when I had seen it as a child. Unlike many of my childhood favorites, this film has withstood the test of time and maturity. I remember crying then, and I cried my eyes out again. I will always enjoy this film. Ricky Schroeder did an awesome job in his debut.
December 11, 2011
I'm not fond of crying movies