A Christmas Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Story Reviews

January 28, 2015
There's a reason I have to watch this every year.
January 17, 2015
My favorite Christmas movie of all time.
½ January 9, 2015
#245 - Although ok to watch it's definitely no Home Alone and in some way reminded me of xmas as a kid.
December 25, 2014
I never grew up with this movie, but my fiance is obsessed with it and he did. I get why little boys love it. It at times is slow, but it is relatable and cute with some classic scenes like the with the tongue on the pole. It's a charming, funny film that reminds you what its like to think like a kid again and feel around the magic of Xmas back then.
December 27, 2014
A must see Turner Christmas marathon!
December 27, 2014
The adored family holiday movie to rule them all. So Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) wants nothing more from Christmas than a Red Ryder B.B. gun. This movie is about his plight in trying to convince all of his teachers, parents and Santa that this is a smart gift choice. Looking to get in the Christmas spirit (and needing to get another movie checked of the 1,001 list), a group of friends and I decided to sit down and rewatch A Christmas Story. A number of holiday seasons have passed since I've watched this (I'm much more inclined to pop in Love Actually and/or Die Hard), and I'm pleased to say that this still holds up. It's as adorable as can be, and is chock full of one-liners and memorable moments that you likely still remember from years past. I feel that this time around watching this, I was able to view this in a much more objective light. I still think this very worthwhile, but I was able to see the structure a lot more this time around in that there really isn't that much of a story, it's more of a series of loosely related vignettes. It doesn't take away from any of the entertainment factor, but as an older individual who has now seen exponentially more movies, the seams showed more. Where A Christmas Story really wins you over is its irresistible goodwill; it really takes you back to a time of innocence where the only thing that mattered was getting the coolest toy on the block. While that may be a touch on the shallow side as an adult, this really presents its story to you from the point-of-view of a nine-year-old, and the fact that it is narrated by an adult really adds to the humor of how exaggerated and obsessive the perspective of a child can be. This movie is light and enjoyable at every turn. Because the structure is so fractured with all of these different anecdotes, it feels short and well-paced, which in turn really makes the 90 minutes just fly by. Whenever you watch this, you're going to have a great time, and while I wouldn't go so far to label this a bonafide classic, it does succeed in what it is trying to accomplish: it delivers a heartwarming story that the whole family can enjoy.
½ December 26, 2014
A sweet, realistic Christmas movie.

Not as profound, emotional or idealistic as It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street, or as enchanting as A Christmas Carol (especially the Muppet version), A Christmas Story reminds us all what it is like to be a kid at Christmas time. A very sincere, natural depiction of Christmas. No big moral at the end, just a sweet story.

A funny story too. There were many laugh-out-loud moments.

Solid performances by Melinda Dillon and Darren McGavin as the parents. Good performance by (then-11 years old) Peter Billingsley as Ralphie.

A movie for the whole family. Kids will relate, and adults will be fondly reminded of their own childhood.
December 25, 2014
Greatest Christmas Movie Ever
½ December 24, 2014
Classic Christmas movie with a well-structured story and the right amount of comedy and angst.

Grade = 7/10
½ December 24, 2013
Whoa, whoa hold up. I thought this movie was supposed to be good. After all the praise I've heard for this movie and it turns out to be crap? Am I the only one who didn't like this movie? I'm not crazy, there has to be someone out there who agrees with me. This movie was honestly just painful to watch. Everyone was annoying. Ralphie was annoying, his brother was annoying, his friends were annoying, and his parents were annoying. Throughout the entire film I wanted to punch Ralphie's brother right in the mouth. I didn't laugh once during the entire movie either. It just wasn't funny. If there was a funny moment, please, enlighten me. Once it was over I came to a conclusion: that the people who love this movie watched it as a kid and remember it fondly, or I'm completely insane. The latter, I think not.
October 23, 2012
Marvelous. A classic that never gets old. Superb film and script.
½ December 24, 2014
"You'll shoot your eye out".

The story is about a young boy is insistent on getting Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas while he puts up with his family during the holidays in the 1940's.

A Christmas Story is been known as a Christmas classic to everyone. The movie started off has a small budget film suddenly turning into a big hit years later, even got a squeal which I reviewed and yeah it wasn't pretty and I had a lot to say about that film, so anywhere I can clearly see why people are calling this a classic because in my heart it is.

I said this in my past reviews about annoying narrating in movies. I just don't like how a character can narrator though out the film, just freaking speak, but in this movie it didn't annoy me, it actually worked for the film, because Ralphie (Main character) put a mans voice in his head just to sound cool and that is just what a kid would do, oh and he also day dreams, just like a kid.

The good thing in this movie: The character's in this movie are so funny and so remember-able, the bully in this movie you know "You gonna cry?", yeah that kid, he was fun. The acting from everybody was really good, even the kid actors did good, nobody did a terrible performance. This movie celebrates Christmas like mad, just like Home Alone 2. And overall this movie ended on a pretty good note towards the end.

The movie is freaking amazing and a good Christmas movie, but it's not on level of oh my god this is a master peace, no it's a charming, and quirky little film with a little sprinkle of heart and joy to all out there.

Merry Christmas everyone.
December 24, 2014
best christmas movie ever!
December 23, 2014
"A Christmas Story" is hands down my favorite Christmas movie, because it is pure Christmas. I never get tired watching this movie during the Christmas holidays, because it will always keep making me laugh as I watch it. Bob Clark does an outstanding job on co-writing and directing this movie. The movie is always everyone's fantasy dream, and it is very identifiable and everyone can relate to on what they want for Christmas. I love "A Christmas Story," and it will always be my favorite.
½ December 22, 2014
Uniquely nostalgic, surprisingly wise, and consistently funny, A Christmas Story remains a holiday classic thanks to authentic performances and a smart screenplay.
½ December 21, 2014
Ah yes, sweet, sweet consumerism.
December 20, 2014
I just loved everything about this film, and now I have shared it with my kids and they love it also. It's a film that never seems to get old, and that's why it's so darn good year in year out!
December 20, 2014
10 out of 10:

A Christmas classic your family will love!
½ December 16, 2014
One of the better Christmas films out there. Has some great acting and nostalgia