63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Cloak & Dagger Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

February 24, 2012
A cute little kids spy film, about military secrets being smuggled out of the county in Atari Game Cartages. Funny to see how basic graphics were in 1983, not a great film but should keep those under 13 amused for more then 5 minutes. I saw it on Netflix Stream. 3 Stars
Ken S

April 9, 2007
An espionage obsessed 12 year old (Elliot from ET) fights some really under qualified bad guys who are trying to get there hands on an Atari game with top secret information embedded in it.

Fairly entertaining, I'd recommend it to kids under 13, but being they don't know what Atari is I'm not sure it'll fly. Definitely worth remaking.
AJ V

October 11, 2010
Amazing, this is kids action movie! I loved it, it's a lot of fun, and very suspenseful.
Adam M

October 4, 2010
It has good cinematography and Dabney Coleman is great in his double role, but the boy lead, Henry Thomas, seems a little autistic at times. This is a brave kids movie in that the hero is so wrapped up in his spy-videogame world that we know it's probably not healthy, even if the stuffy adult world tells him the same thing. Cloak & Dagger is fun because it is serious about murder, with cold Hitchcockian touches that don't suggest the kids will make it out alive. The movie gets bad whenever other little touches make it seem like a Disney TV movie.

The screenplay seems to suggest that these events could all be his fantasy taken too far, and then not follow through with this idea (which would have given us an ending like Total Recall's), because that might be too frightening a possibility for a younger audience.

Robert Rodriguez or M. Night S. should remake it or maybe that's too obvious.
skactopus
skactopus

January 23, 2009
The "Cloak and Dagger" expression refers to situations regarding secrecy, espionage, etc. "Cloak & Dagger" is also the name of a video game from the early 80s. Both of these are involved in this movie, which is titled, oddly enough, Cloak & Dagger.This picture pans out like an action adventure mystery. The "Cloak & Dagger" video game plays an intricate part in the story, but this is not necessarily a video game movie. There is a sense of realism throughout the picture, but there are times where things become unbelievable.There is a decent amount of action and violence that help this 100 minute production move by pretty quickly. In fact, all the violence puts the PG rating to question because I believe a PG-13 rating is a more suitable fit. Before leaving this subject, I will note that the car driving scene is nicely written, as it is realistic and highly entertaining.Henry Thomas, not too long off of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, puts on a respectable performance as Davey. Dabney Coleman does double duty as Jack Flack and Thomas' father. The Flack character is probably the most memorable of the film. William Forsythe has an interesting role as a video game nerd and Christina Nigra is an annoying Kim Gardener.Cloak & Dagger is an amusing family oriented film with a nice message to be conveyed. Feel free to check it out.
Chris G

September 15, 2008
Cloak and Dagger is the story of a young San Antonio boy (Henry Thomas) who becomes so wrapped up in his hero super spy Jack Flack (Dabney Coleman) he mixes the fantasy world of Flack with the reality of being a kid. Things begin to heat up when young Davey ends up in the middle of a game of cat and mouse over a video game cartridge containing government secrets.

Cloak and Dagger is a fun little film that delves into what would happen if those Indians we chased as kids were actually real. It's a great kids film, even though the violence is intense in some parts (this possibly could have been released before PG-13).

The main problem with the film viewing it 25 years later is seeing how dated it has become. Do kids today know what Atari or a game cartridge is? Why is Dabney Coleman wearing pleather? Is that really William Forsythe as the fat, game playing, slob Morris? Can you imagine a kid running around a building with a toy gun in 2008? We would be calling SWAT to clear is E.T. loving ass out of the building.

Other than being dated (which those of us who remember the summer of Gizmo and Mola Ran will not think it's dated) Cloak and Dagger is a great little spy adventure/kids flick.
deano
deano

March 8, 2007
This is the one of the best dangerously cat-and-mouse thriller movies that makes me exciting to see young actor Henry Thomas (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial) as a highly imaginative boy who often plays pretend games of espionage with his fantasy friend finds himself involved in a real-life-and-death situation when he stumbles onto the evil doings of a group of spies. It's suspenseful and fast-paced but not so scary and violent as to upset the kiddies - it's true when I was 10 years old.
Michael S

March 4, 2007
Loved it as a kid.
Beefy
Beefy

September 24, 2006
A cheesy project of its time, this was "that movie with the kid from E.T. in it". Interesting as a curio and for the good performance of the underappreciated Dabney Coleman.
Sean G

August 26, 2011
Great kids movie. It's a little dated, revolving around Atari games, but still good.
September 7, 2008
Best movie and those movie of my favorite film and good for the family movie but violence and some people creep you out! And also Dabney Coleman play double role of Jack Flack and the Davey's father.
E.T.-The Extra-Terrestrial star Henry Thomas as Davey Osborne, a young computer whiz kid plays Atari video game called Cloak & Dagger game in which he is a secret agent with his imaginary hero playmate Jack Flack (Dabney Coleman). However, one day Davey gets involved in a real-life spy drama and witnesses a real murder, but Davey's father (Dabney Coleman of course) having been fooled before, does not believe him and thinks that this is just another of the Davey's imaginary games. Davey can not get his father to believe that what he saw was real and is on his own. Suspenseful and fast-paced. Suitable for young people, but also of real interest to adults, too.
The80sExpert
September 20, 2008
What a fantastic movie! I loved it. This is a kid's action movie, but adults can enjoy it too because it isn't silly or fluffy like movies today, it's actually really exciting and suspenseful. I highly recommend this movie, it's one of the best kids movies of the decade.
jam233
December 7, 2009
Imaginative family adventure film, a bit dated but still enjoyable. Dabney Coleman does a great job in a dual role. Fun nonsense, the plot is way far fetched.
Ken D

December 3, 2009
This is one of the better kids action movie that has been made. What makes this much more different is that this movie isn't dumbed down to try and think they are pleasing children. The kid isn't a genius and the villains are not clumsy idiots. Dabney Coleman does a good job in dual roles as he is pretty funny as the imaginary playmate and does a good job as the father figure. Not as tense as most action movies, but was quite surprised to see people get killed and this still getting a PG.
September 5, 2009
Released in the same year as Temple of Doom, Karate Kid, and Gremlins, its no wonder that this one slipped by so many people. This is a great film for much the same target audience as those films. A 12 year old kid plays spy games all the time. His dad gets fed up with it and refuses to believe his son when his son claims to have witnessed a murder. The kid employs the help of a few others to outwit those who are now out to get him. Surprisingly the kid's imaginary friend talks him into killing a guy!
September 24, 2008
Set in San Antonio, it was fun since it is the first movie where I could recognize the places the people were going to.
firstamb
July 6, 2008
Based on the video game stories, not the ealier noir movie, this one pits a kid with a microchip in a game against some criminals.
squintywill
April 11, 2008
This movie is entertaining, mostly for the nostalgia. I only gave it 3 stars because I wouldnt necessarily watch it more than once. There are many parts that are unbelievable to adults that know better; for example the part where the boy is being shot at in broad daylight, in a very public area. But the basic story and acting make it a good movie to see if you haven't in the last 15 years.

Is it just me, or are some of the comments made about the boy playing too much video games on this site odd? The boy plays very little video games in this movie, his imagination comes with the role playing games he does in the beginning.
StaisilD
February 13, 2008
Who should a kid's hero be? In this underrated adventure-comedy, that's the central issue. Henry Thomas, fresh from E.T., plays a San Antonio kid whose father (Dabney Coleman) doesn't spend nea...( read more read more... )rly enough time with him. So the boy loses himself in video games--and even has an imaginary friend (also played by Coleman), a super-resourceful secret agent. When he accidentally comes into possession of a spy group's secret plans, and winds up on the run from them, he must learn to rely on himself (and his imaginary pal) to save his skin. But, in the end, Dad proves to be his real hero in this engaging and solid family film.
SaginTheWolf
July 8, 2007
I recall this movie with fond memories. I watched many times on weekends and thought how cool it would be to be in a situation of international mystery. Course I'd want Dabney as my spiritual spy to help me. Man, just looking at the cover I want to watch this again.