21% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Cocktail Reviews

Phil H

September 21, 2012
What has Mr Cruise done to blokes over the years huh. He made us all wanna join the military so we could play with fighter jets and have a cool nickname, play/hustle nine-ball for a living, be a NASCAR driver...but at one point he also made all men wanna become bartenders. The image...behind a slick neon lit bar, fast money and easy sex, who would say no?.

Well the plot in this ever so 80's flick is a cocktail of drama in itself!. Kicks off as a loose dumb story about a young guy who learns to be a bartender and throws bottles around awful looking swanky yuppie/suit type bars. From there we get cheating, backstabbing and escapism to Jamaica where a soppy love story breaks out.
More backstabbing follows as we proceed to more heartbreak and the involvement with older rich women, much more fun then. Yet more breakup, death of a friend and eventual makeup leading to the obvious happy ending.

A veritable rollercoaster of a plot which is totally uninteresting and rather cringeworthy. Watching Cruise pose and strut around with his wide toothy grin and hair that can't decide to be straight or curly is somewhat painful at times. The bar scenes are really quite crap looking back, I remember how people thought this stuff was sooooo cool (laugh out loud!).

The cast is also another odd cocktail of choice. Aussie Bryan Brown who never really made much of a splash in Hollywood is a bizarre choice. Whilst Shue was never very attractive in my book and hardly sells her character, so dreadfully vanilla and dull!! geez!!. Brown is just totally uncool and annoying whilst Shue is a wet fish. Add to that the constant flow of hyped over acting and mugging by Cruise...oh god it makes you wanna vomit in your Singapore Sling!.

A film for the ladies I think as the only things that interested me was a few female arse shots and the thought of what life would be like as a sex toyboy for a rich middle aged business woman (I would of stuck it out). In places this film is very awkward to watch, bordering on embarrassing. So completely and utterly dated (in a bad way) and serves no purpose other than a history lesson on 80's social gatherings and what people thought was cool employment at the time.

A time when Cruise's ego was sky high alongside his over acting, mind you what's new.
Spencer S

July 29, 2010
It's always an eye opening experience when you enjoy a film that you know you should hate. Such is the self hatred roller coaster of Cocktail, a very basic and uninspiring premise, also poorly executed, but way too much fun with its camp and cast of characters to incite the usual villagers with torches effect. Yes, the eighties were an especially grotesque time for cinema, including sex fueled debauchery, consumerism going hand in hand with Reagan economics, and some mind altering soundtracks and scores, all synth, all the time. Cocktail gravitates towards these pitfalls with great ease, but never quite makes it into awful, mostly because of the intriguing cast. The plot itself is nauseating, starting off as a great story of a bartender following his dream of wealth and power. Instead of climbing the ladder, or at least cultivating a "there's more to life than money" mentality, our protagonist becomes ever more unlikable, a lady's man so in your face it's an ugly portrayal. Somehow we bounce between New York City and Jamaica, but not in a timeline that makes any sense, including a romance with Elisabeth Shue's character. It's because Tom Cruise can pull off cocky in almost all roles, and Shue is the obliged girl next door, that this is a cult success. Even though the story, with all the rags to riches mentality, but none of the follow through, is based on Cruise's character, it just isn't juicy enough for the audience. There's so much materialistic buildup from our hero, that his subsequent behavior and that of the other characters is sickening, especially Shue's. Still, anything with Cruise in the eighties includes an eyeful of neon and that quirky grin, which is enough for any woman with an open mind.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
One of the best romantic films ever made. I'm in love with this film and Tom Cruise was exceptional.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 16, 2011
What a waste of talent, I hated it.
Conner R

December 3, 2009
It's bizarre that this movie is actually as good as it is. A movie about the life of a bartender just seems stupid, but this was extremely well done. The acting, filming and plot was very well done. It's also really fun and enjoyable, a light hearted masterpiece if you ask me. Tom Cruise and Elisabeth Shue are its main attraction, delivering completely. It's hard to explain in words, but this movie just needs to be seen and enjoyed by all.
Lady D

March 26, 2007
A romantic Drama set in the late 80's. A nostalgic classic of it's time, whilst many fans were enjoying Tom Cruise, it was always Bryan Brown who stole the show in this film for me.

Very corny and cheesy in parts, but completely watchable and one of my favourites of that era, hence the rating, very quoteable too.
movieguru12
movieguru12

March 2, 2008
This movie didn't fail to amaze me,considering Tom Cruise was in it. LOVE IT!!! The story is just awesome :)
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
This is so awful it makes me shudder. Love that Shue though!
Jason O

September 10, 2009
Flanagan (Tom Cruise) is a student studying business and who takes up a new job being a bartender. Flanagan proves to be a great bartender, but he doesn't want to be a bartender all his life, especially after his co-worker betrays him and after he drops out of college. Flanagan isn't really satisfied with anything in his life until he meets an attractive girl named Jordan (Elisabeth Shue) and falls in love with her. But even then everything doesn't go as planned after he takes up a bet with his betraying former co-worker.
"Cocktail" is a pretty good movie. It was one of the best of Tom Cruise's older movies. It has a good plot and the soundtrack isn't bad either. I recommend anybody to at least watch "Cocktail." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
Roy G

May 26, 2009
Overall, it's ridiculous, but Cocktail is a real classic of the late-80s self-help moviemaking genre.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
One of my fave movies from my teens. Love the musci. Good story.
Lafe F

June 30, 2007
A light-hearted formulaic comedy with a fun bartending plotline to fit Tom Cruise into. There are some nice locations, good soundtrack and romance to keep it all nice. I liked the scenes of Tom trying to mix drinks at first. Later, when he becomes more experienced, he puts on a good bar show.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 9, 2007
love elisabeth shue but this is junk.
deano
deano

March 13, 2007
Fantastic drama and entertaining of Tom Cruise learning about life and bartending from the droll, laid-back Aussie Bryan Brown. You can see how many chicks he can get to lie back.
garyX
garyX

March 5, 2007
Garish and usympathetic 80s drama that's all ugly flash and no substance.
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Good times.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
What a waste of talent, I hated it.
Beth M

October 12, 2013
This is actually one of my favourite Tom Cruise films.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

March 19, 2011
Tom Cruise plays the earnest and eager Brian Flanagan fresh out of the army and in NYC looking for a job. After failing to land a white collar job due to his lack of credentials, he hooks up withCoughlin (played by an excellent Bryan Brown) who hires him in his bar as a bartender showing him all the ropes of the business. Together they team up and become the city's most sought-after bartenders having a string of sexy and exotic girlfriends until Coughlin betrays Flanagan.

Flanagan decides to head over to Jamaica to tend bar on the beach. There, he meets and has a torrid Harlequin Romance Novel-cover affair with Jordan Mooney, played by the beautiful Elisabeth Shue. In fact, one of my personal favorite aspects of this film is the exotic location of Jamaica.
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 15, 2010
A talented young man moves to New York in hopes to become a millionaire. After several job interviews and taking classes in school he gets a part time job working as a bartender. His bartending skills are astonishing and he decides to pursue a career in bartending and then he meets a girl who he falls in love with. This is a typical 80's movie, not bad.