• Unrated, 1 hr. 55 min.

The Corn is Green Reviews

February 22, 2014
Charming movie with an always outstanding performance by Bette Davis
July 10, 2013
Started out not liking Davis as a terribly correct English school mistress but the story develops into something really worth watching.
April 8, 2013
Strong film adaptation of changing the culture of a small mining village into a place where schooling is not only appreciated but expected. Strong performance by Bette Davis, playing older than she was. Also watch Nigel Bruce, playing a character nearly as bright as his Dr. Watson character. Nigel is reflects the town character - and what a character he is. Good plot twists that were likely common "back in the day".
April 4, 2013
Irving Rapper's screen version of Emlyn Williams semi-autobiographical play is well acted by Bette Davis as the spinster-teacher, but is too theatrical, sentimental and conventional.
starlett2005
March 7, 2012
The Corn is Green is an amazing film. It is about a schoolteacher who is dismayed with by conditions in a Welsh mining town. Bette Davis and Nigel Bruce give wonderful performances. The screenplay is well written. Irving Rapper did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. The Corn is Green is a must see.
July 16, 2011
I Love this Movie.Miss Moffet changes the literacy of a reluctant Miner Town, & even some of the some of the Elders (who once opposed her) come to her to read & write.She changes Lives, Stone Hearts, & makes a mark on this Welsh Towns thinking & customs, & in particular one exceptional student.
jam233
June 20, 2009
Typically outstanding Bette Davis performance. Joan Lorring is terrific in a supporting role. Very well produced drama, excellent art direction and very well produced. Good direction. But, it is Davis' film all the way.
IcyRoses
August 15, 2009
Could have been better.
March 2, 2009
For some reason I thought Kathryn Hepburn played this role... she should have anyway.
russ5892
August 12, 2008
My favorite black-and-white movie. I don't agree with the ending, but it was nontheless well-done.
rhp33
July 29, 2008
I think this version is better than the one with Kate.
mazydazy
June 2, 2008
~~~~~Bette Davis~~~~~

~~~~~At her best!~~~~
April 17, 2007
ok I just love bette davis.
jklmt95
July 25, 2007
that's not corn, hippie.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 4, 2007
the katharine hepburn version is better but this is still worth checking out
supernaturalkicksbutt
January 22, 2007
I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT
SarahJoyFrost
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this
jazza923