Darling Reviews

April 28, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks Julie Christie is alarmingly obnoxious in this role? Her voice is sometimes grating on the ears. But the mod 60s fashion is always one that attracts me, and this movie's style is really what's working for it.
February 18, 2011
Had never heard of this 60's film, but I have to say it was pretty good. I loved the stylish black and white film, the 60's fashions and hairstyles and I found the story and character of Diana interesting, although the film was very long, and a bit repetitive at times (not to mention confusing, trying to keep straight which man was which!).
Julie Christie plays social climbing Diana Scott, very beautiful and spoiled and used to getting her own way. Not the most likeable character, she goes through the film using and manipulating men to further her career and get her standing in life. Well, it makes a change from men using women, I guess. I would imagine this film would have been controversial in it's time.
There's a lot of sex in this, though none of it graphic, or particularly shocking, although I guess the swingers parties are meant to be. (Tame by todays standards!).
By the time the movie ends, she has increased her status no end, but she is miserable, and I guess you could say got what she deserved, although I did feel some sympathy for her, then felt like a mug for feeling so, as she was obviously just putting on the crocodile tears.
½ May 17, 2010
'All lies are truth at a time.' This film has been unfairly criticized for the amorality and avarice of its main character, the heavy-handedness of direction, and datedness. These 'faults' are actually the film's strengths. The glass motif emphasizes the transparency, impenetrability, separateness and emptiness of the sweet life in sixties London. Decadence is never unfashionable; Image is character.
jjnxn
½ March 29, 2007
julie's wonderful but the film is dated
December 11, 2012
Okay, so my interest in Julie Christie is what drew me to this one and I have to say that her unhappy character, who refuses to find any happiness in any level of success just made me throw up my hands in exasperation after about an hour of her jumping from relationship to relationship looking for the bigger, better life.

Fuck this broad and her assholish inability to just be content with having everything that would make a normal person happy.

Pass, unless you're an amoral opportunist, in which case this is like a masterclass on how to get ahead in life.
½ January 25, 2010
Julie Christie gives a knock out performance as the title character, and she makes the film work. Great casting. Good direction and a fine screenplay.
October 11, 2009
Julie Christie showcases a satirical look at mid-sixties London life. Nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director (John Schleshinger), and Best Actress winner! Many of the social behaviors that this film takes on is quite remarkable for it's time. This is definitely a movie that should get more play than it has. Saying that - Julie Christie shines here almost as much as my all time favorite film of her's, Doctor Zhivago (also in 1965).
August 20, 2015
An interesting portrait of celebrities with a strong performance from Julie Christie but not entirely worthy of her Oscar. Beautiful cinematography and great writing
February 8, 2015
I was very young when I saw it, and really wouldn't "get" it for years afterward. I did know I loved looking at Julie Christie, Laurence Harvey and , especially, Dirk Bogarde and I did know that John Schlesinger made me want to continue looking at them. Therefore, I love it, and loved it years before I could put my finger on WHY I loved it.
Hal
March 7, 2013
Fine 1965 film featuring gorgeous Julie Christie in an Oscar-winning Best Actress performance. She plays a 20ish model married to an earnest young man she soon dumps for a feature writer for radio/telly. Next she beds a more high-powered guy (Laurence Harvey) who uses his influence to supercharge her modeling career. Their relationship doesn't amount to much though, and she runs off with a gay photographer to Italy. and so forth: she's always moving on to the next guy, the next situation, the next stage, without much rhyme or reason to it. She "goes with the flow." Incidentally IGNORE RT's "movie info" blurb on this one, it's a mistake, referencing the wrong film. (There is no "Prabhas" or any such person in this movie).
½ December 24, 2012
Dated movie in which a model (Julie Christie) moves up in the world of fashion by fooling around with every slimy man she comes across. This includes Laurence Harvey, who looks like he is still in his role from "The Manchurian Candidate." The movie is dreary, uninteresting, slow and extremely forgettable. There is nothing really special about this picture, one which netted an Oscar, for some reason, for Julie Christie. She has been in better performances in other films ("Doctor Zhivago" from that year, and as well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" and "Don't Look Now" from the 1970's) for which a nomination for an Oscar was never acknowledged. Apparently ground breaking for its time; undeniably bland by today's standards.
May 16, 2012
Julie Christie‚(TM)s Oscar-winning motion picture, at the helm of UK‚(TM)s soon-to-be Academy winning director John Schlesinger (for MIDNIGHT COWBOY 1969), anchored by two top-billing male co-stars Bogarde and Harvey, explores a young woman‚(TM)s uncertainty of pursuing her happiness, therefore comes into being a remarkable expedition and a vigorously incisive piece of work.

‚Being happy should be the easiest thing in the world, isn‚(TM)t it?‚?, the central line underlies the tenor of the film, which starts as a commonplace love affair, after a struggle of hunger for fame and dismay of boredom, the girl eventually becomes the wife of a Italian prince, but the lush life doesn‚(TM)t complete her emptiness inside, her rueful aftermath has been a role model example of modern relationship-disillusion symptom.

The original score from John Dankworth is additionally excellent, balances the rollercoaster adventures and is captivating alongside Christie‚(TM)s gallant performance, who is the sole nucleus of the film and consistently sterling in every scene and literally she is in every scene, Bogarde and Harvey are two prisms reflecting two vastly different desirabilities of men, both mesmerizing and realistic (as my first encounter with Laurence Harvey, his amoral womanizer representative is so dazzling and charismatic).

There is a self-destruction undercurrent influences the entire film, maybe the specie of woman is notable for her instability and bewilderment of what her wants, while men are more predominantly clear about their limitations and their preys, which sounds plausible for me, and one cannot help feeling sympathy towards our leading lady‚(TM)s quandary, which could be tons of women peers‚(TM) pipe dream, a princess in Italy, what a killing temptation, plus Jos√ (C) Luis de Vilallonga is a decent and young-looking widower in the film, so one might wonder how many white flags will he receive facing all the female viewers, who might grudgingly slam Christie‚(TM)s fickle nature, but the truth is one cannot literally live in other person‚(TM)s shoes, especially if she is a woman. So the film renders us a marvelous answer, she has only herself to thank for her predicament.
March 7, 2012
Christie shines in this character driven film.
½ December 10, 2010
The original Pretty Woman. Julie Christie won the Best Actress Oscar for her work here. Great film.
½ December 4, 2010
Loved this swinging 60's tale with Julie Christie riding the wave of the new Sexual Revolution in England. Not a particularly happy film about a gal that can't seem to find what she wants and sleeps with everyone including Dirk Borgarde and Laurence Harvey (who is just the most awesome smarmy playboy). The direction by Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy) is marvelous and very human and real. DEEEEElightful!
March 16, 2010
This 1965 multi-award winning film is a riveting portrait of a woman who deviously claws her way to the top, in search of "happiness and completion". Julie Christe won an Oscar for her portrayal of Diana Scott, and manages to make this "trivial and shallow" woman interesting.
Frederick Raphael, who also won an Oscar for his work, wrote a story and script that is the basis of what makes this a riveting film to watch. Every scene makes sense, and every phrase has a purpose; there is not a single word that does not belong, or is unnecessary.
It is wonderfully photographed in a very crisp black and white by Ken Higgins, and has an unobtrusive but lovely score by John Dankworth.

Director John Schlesinger brings out the best in even the bit players, and most of all, from Dirk Bogarde, who gives a heartbreaking, brilliant performance as one of Diana's stepping stones. Laurence Harvey plays a vain and vile character with the snakelike coldness he is so good at, and of course, Christie is in her prime, and her beauty and talent shine bright.
Though the atmoshpere of the film is caught in the '60s, the story and characters are timeless; this film deserves to be viewed, for its tremendous performances, and as a portrait of how times change, but much of humanity stays the same, and selfish desires, even when satisfied, are but clanging brass.
September 12, 2005
Feels more like a French-European movie than an American. Which is a good thing. Not spectacular, but worth watching. You might like it more than I do.