Dead End

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Dead End Reviews

October 8, 2012
Bogart is Bogart so worth watching just for that. The boys are a bit over the top but the story is a good one.
July 24, 2012
A suspenseful and dark story about a few no-goodnicks, coming back home and interacting with a New York neighborhood through one day and one night. It shows how big of an influence a place where one grows up has on a kid's mind and manners. Bogart as a hard gangster is proper as always, McRea shines as a dreamer, who wants to escape the harsh reality, and Sylvia Sidney is great as the overprotective sister.
Adrian B.
June 30, 2012
Title refers to an area of what I believe is New York City where there the poor really have no way moving up in class in life. They include a group of hopeless kids who only succeed through acts of hurting others. One situation of cruelty occurs when a rich kid is lured into a warehouse, severely beaten and robbed and then his father is stabbed by one of the delinquents when they try and arrest. There are further complications with the adults who hang around there, including a criminal (Humphrey Bogart), who finally loses it toward the middle part of the film with another, kinder individual (Joel McCrea). It has nice photography and direction, but it is just not all that memorable for me. The acting is okay by the grownups, but the kids can get really annoying after awhile. Like "Dodsworth," this ranks among William Wyler's decent films. His best ones start with "Wuthering Heights" in 1939.
February 17, 2012
The beautiful cinematography and a few nice performances (especially Bogart and Trevor) make up for the film's lack of narrative structure.
December 10, 2011
Great film from legendary filmmaker William Wyler. Bogart plays a hoodlum visiting his old neighborhood. He has recently been having nostalgia, so after ten years away he wants to see his mother and old girlfriend. He may not like what he finds. Having a price on his head does not make things easier. Recommended for all who like old time cinema.
July 26, 2011
If anyone can be in a bigger role than Humphrey Bogart, they must be great.
hobo1964
February 17, 2011
A Samuel Goldwyn classic!
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 16, 2008
Dated but excellently acted drama.
Cassandra M

March 1, 2010
I recently picked up a copy of Dead End from a market stall and was pleased I did.

A gangster, "Baby Face" returns to New York's Lower East Side, where he grew up. He goes to visit his mum and ex girlfriend, but they are not pleased to see him. He then gets involved in a shootout which claims his life. We also see what the Dead End Kids get up to and they course plenty of trouble. Two of the residents also fall in love with each other.

This movie gives you an idea on what life was like in this period in New York's poorer Lower East Side and the rich peoples' apartments are overlooking this slum area.

The cast includes an excellent performance from Humphrey Bogart as Baby Face and is joined by Sylvia Sydney (Sabotage), western star Joel McCrea, Claire Trevor (Key Largo, which also starred Bogie), Wendy Barrie and a brief appearance by Ward Bond.

Dead End is worth watching, a good way to spend 90 minutes one afternoon or evening.
rubystevens
rubystevens

December 13, 2007
pretty melodramatic. supporting characters are much better than the main story here. ma kettle is one cold hearted bitch, the punk kids are fun and an extra half star for claire trevor :)
sumodaemon
October 19, 2009
An interesting film which attempts to grapple with the depths of despair and desperation that the poor must continuously battle juxtapozed with the conflicts and views that the very wealthy have towards them and their place in society. This film was also a bit of a landmark as it basically calls out the reform school and prison systems and squarely blames their inadequate systems on creating the modern hardened criminal played by Humphrey Bogart. It might not seem like a big deal these days but back then it caused quite a stir.

This film was also a landmark in that it introduced the gang of smart aleck gang of kids known in this film as the Dead End Kids and whom would later go on to make literally dozens of films in various incarnations probably the most famous of which is the Bowery Boys (which is where I first encountered them). Even with this knowledge I was fairly taken aback by the overall dark and depressing nature of the film as it draws a very bleak picture of the poor and their hopes and dreams or lack thereof.

I really enjoyed this picture although I do think some of its points and issues are a tad dated so its not quite as powerful as it was during its debut. With the properties of the very rich literally towering right over the ramshackle tenements of the poor it painted a very real line between the poor and the rich. A large and very clean door opens right into the tenement and acts as a beacon of hope for some, a sign of safety for some, and a temptation of violence for others.

In a particularly telling moment the new love of Joel McCrea (for whom he has recently fallen at the disappointment of an old flame) attempts to visit him in his worn down apartment complex. Leaving the safety of her expensive dwelling she starts to make her way up the stairs and bit by bit she is worn down by the filth and degradation until she finally breaks down and flees the filthy abode in utter fear and immediately runs through the clean doorway to take up safety in the comfort of the rich.

You see, she used to be poor just like them and although her love for Joel is strong, she can't overcome her fear of being that desperately poor again and so she must put aside her feelings and stay with her rich fiance'. Unknown to her Joel as seen her approach and escape and immediately realizes that it's just not to be.

The film features an interlocking array of characters all of whom dramatically affect the fate of one another with their actions bit by bit throughout the film. It all fits together very well and is fairly unflinching in its presentation of these characters. Bogart's gangster character comes back hoping to reconnect with his mother and old flame but the reunion of both is the worst possible outcome. Drina tries to save her brother from becoming more and more of a hardened street thug but she is almost helpless to watch as he becomes caught up in the nightmare of their situation.

In the end it's a very satisfying movie but then I felt something was a little off. For such a rough movie it somewhat tries to back-peddle a bit and soften the blow of the inevitable conflicts and the two main characters are given a somewhat hopeful outlook. Then I saw those giant words plastered on the ending board "Approved by the Movie Board Association" and I realised the date of the film and it all became clear.

Even though it's is a fairly dark film and I admired at how much of a statement they were allowed to make, I realized the Hays Code was in full effect at this point and I had to laugh. Apparently the writers did soften up the remaining main characters a little bit from the stage production and created a more hopeful outlook for them in the end.

Ah well...

Still, I did really enjoy this film and that way in which it immerses the viewer right into the run down Dead End neighborhood and made you live there was really magical and very well done.
IcyRoses
August 13, 2009
Not as good as it should be.
cody f

June 29, 2009
Very enjoyable film about the Lower East Side in the 30's.The rich are starting to move into the slums in high rise apartments,and a change is staring to take place.The film is about Bogie,a wanted Gangster, going back to his old neighborhood to see is Mom and a old girlfriend.Bogart has had surgery and no one recognizes him except for a old childhood friend(McCrea) who don't see eye to eye. The movie is also about The Dead End Kids, a gang of toughs who keep getting into trouble,but their ways are becoming out of date. Everyone is great in this and the subject matter is harsh and very adult oriented. This is based on a stage play and it must have been great to see back in the day.The only problem I had was I wanted a more McCrea and Bogie and a little less Dead End Kids. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this and it goes to show you what a great actor Bogart was.The scene between him and Claire Trevor(his old squeeze) and Marjorie Main (his mother) is extremely powerful and really holds up. William Wyler in the 30's couldn't be stopped and this is another great one from him.
Ken S

May 20, 2007
Depression Era Melodrame is boring at best. Bogart, when he's actually on the screen, chews the scenery a bit.
August 23, 2007
This is a good movie

You can view it on Flixster
Anthony V

June 30, 2008
Nice bit of New York life from the 30's. Bogart gives a powerhouse performance, and the kids do good work.
Virus
September 26, 2008
The kid's acting style gets really irritating at first and it takes time to get used to it. But once I did I saw a fantastic film. Early Bogart when his name wasn't even the marque name. William Wyler directs and he would go off and do bigger and better things, but this was one of his better films. Pretty gruesome and risque for it's time too.
BigMacAttack
July 10, 2008
Even a lesser Bogart film is better than average.
Byron B

February 19, 2007
want to see this because it was nominated for best picture at the oscars