Destiny (Der mude Tod) (The Weary Death) (Between Two Worlds) Reviews

January 11, 2011
A beautifully spooky and adventurous movie about death. It is sort of an anthology horror movie with three different stories of love and death told by the grim reaper. I really liked it, it's cool.
rubystevens
½ June 4, 2008
a wonderful gothic romance like something from grimm's fairy tales. in his autobiography bu˝uel wrote that this inspired him to make films. there's an homage to it in un chien andalou. it was one of alfred hitchcock's favorites and a big influence on the thief of baghdad (both versions) and murnau's faust among many, many others
January 7, 2011
A well told story with great effects, especially for that time. I'm a big fan of Fritz Lang and have enjoyed M and Metropolis and I thoroughly enjoyes this well crafter story as well.This is a movie I wouldn't mind watching again.
½ July 1, 2009
Without the romance story and its attached shenanigans, the focus would've been on the cool premise, which would've enabled me to like it more. Cool effects for its time.
September 15, 2008
now that's good storytelling. rich in symbolism, gothic imagery, and imaginative fantasy & special effects, Lang's tale of the destiny of love transcends time and cinematic era. moving, enduring, and a truly beautiful silent film. the one thing that bothered me were the captions--the various fonts were challenging to read at times. but that varies from translation to translation, so it doesn't affect my overall judgment of the film.
October 24, 2013
Following Intolerance's lead, Lang provides a triptych of stories -- but this time love is challenged to overcome death itself. In the framing story, two lovers are parted by Death (personified) but he is willing to make a deal: if she can save one of three people from him, then he will bring her lover back to life. The challenges takes place in Persia, Venice, and China with great sets (and suspenseful action) in all three -- it is said that this film was very influential on Hitchcock (by him to Truffaut, in fact). Of course, viewers are advised that this is Lang (and not Griffith) and to note the title when pondering the question of whether love truly conquers all. Still, there appears to be life after death, so no worries!
May 20, 2013
Like it. Very good plot
March 25, 2012
Destiny filled my body and soul with awe...The use of special effects amongst other things was indeed stunning and for many this might be an over-exaggeration but the movie has become my favourite silent film.....
½ June 4, 2011
Just finished watching this movie and for a silent forgien it was amazing. Early movies always blow me away. Fritz Lang is a true cinematic genius.
November 17, 2009
Fritz Lang's Destiniy is a timeless Expressionist Masterpiece about the Death and how inescapable it is shown in 3 grandious Episodes in 3 different Times and Places it shows that you can't ran away from your Destiniy, how much the People hang on their Lifes and how unfair the Death can be old People live one Painful Day after another while little Babys die before they have the Chance to grown up
½ October 25, 2007
Fritz Lang's Destiny is a nice film that combines elements from both German Expressionism and the historical spectacle. Although I've never seen Intolerance I would guess that it too influenced Destiny, much like it influenced a variety of other German films. Lang provides some excellent visuals while offering an assortment of special effects. I found the three sub stories less interesting and I really disliked the last one. Despite its flaws, I would still recommend giving Destiny a watch.