45% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
One of my favourite horror movies of the 40s. Great cast, classic story, it's exciting, dramatic, and somewhat romantic. I love it.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 31, 2008
Tracy is badly miscast here and it almost fatal hurts the film but the MGM gloss and beauty of both Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner compensate somewhat.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

September 5, 2009
Very very nice version of the classic tale.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

August 7, 2008
Spencer Tracy assays the schizophrenic Jekyll/Hyde role in this remake of the 1931 hit. A notch below its model, but it does feature the memorable image of Ingrid Bergman's head as a champagne bottle cork.
Byron B

February 21, 2008
This has a lot of good things going for it, but feels boring and a step below the 1931 version with Fredric Marsh. Lana Turner is a good supporting player. The character Ingrid Bergman gets to play in this movie was quite different from what I've seen her play before. It was impressive to see her be flirtatious and feminine and then terrified to hysterics. I'm a fan of Spencer Tracy's, but was not impressed by his portrayal of Dr. Jekyll. He didn't grab my attention, or develop the inner turmoil of the man who really has the good and evil together in him. The filmmakers should have made the transformation happen sooner. As Mr. Hyde, Tracy was a shocking surprise! At first he looked the same, I didn't think they put any prosthetics on him. This was definitely a more subtle evil face. But then his acting talent shined as he made Mr. Hyde a very different person than the "good doctor." I was also thrilled to see the bit of parkour or free running. Maybe it was a stunt man and not Tracy, but all the leaping over staircase banisters, gates, railings, and through glass made for some long awaited excitement after all the buttoned up tediousness of proper society.
September 4, 2012
I prefer Tracey's Jekyll to Frederic March (who won an Oscar for his performance). Here, Tracey's Mr. Hyde is more of a creppy looking man than a monster. This version is the same as the 1933 version, only with a better cast and better directing.

Grade: B+
February 27, 2011
The cast is terrific, but they seem a bit miscast and unsure of themselves. The sexual undertones in the 1932 version are terribly watered-down here and looses a lot of it's punch. I found my interest wandering too often.
September 6, 2009
Because of the Hays Code many movies made prior to its enforcement were no longer able to be shown. This bred a plethora of re-makes. Like re-makes to this day, they rarely capture what made the original great. This one is 'glossy,' typical of most MGM productions from this era. This takes away from the film in some respects as the grittiness of the earlier films aided the viewer in getting into Jekyll/Hyde's mind. Though much tamer in many senses than either of the preceding Jekyll adaptations (no super-slut prostitute like the 1931 version), it did feature an inexplicably 'rough' scene with a Hyde fantasy sequence. It shows him whipping both his fiancée and a prostitute while in the throes of passion. If you are going to see one Jekyll movie, stick with the 1931 version.
October 20, 2008
Well done and well acted especially Ingrid Bergman's role. Tracy does a good job but the film is almost an exact copy of the 1932 one that was nominated for several academy awards and won best actor. Still it is good and a worthy remake.
December 5, 2012
The is the best version of the famous story written by Robert Louis Stevenson. Spencer Tracy is the lead, and the movie has remarkable special effects showing his changes from Jekyll to Hyde. Lana Turner is Jekyll's love interest, and Ingrid Bergman, in an unforgettable role, is the dance hall woman who attracts Hyde. A thriller with a great musical score, including Ingrid singing "You Should See Me Dance the Polka".
September 6, 2013
Lame. Spencer Tracy is completely out of place in the title roles. Turner is boring. Bergman is excellent but TOTALLY miscast as a Cockney barmaid (!). The best version of this story yet committed to film is Rouben Mamoulian's 1931 take starring Fredric March.
Nik M.
August 21, 2013
It too often attempts to mimic much of the same artistic choices of the 1931 version and reorganizes unnecessary plot structures but the 1941 version benefits from Spencer Tracy's performance and some different yet odd visuals.
filmlover1994
July 15, 2013
I Like Horror Films.
Robyn M.
September 10, 2012
The best version!

This is a thoughtful interpretation of the Stevenson story but is very rarely emotionally engaging. The theme seems to be sexual repression, with Hyde coming from Jekyll's repressed lust. As Hyde takes over we witness some extraordinary and very graphic Freudian imagery such as Bergman and Turner, naked, pulling a chariot containing Tracy and his whip, and Bergman being screwed out of a bottle by a corkscrew! Amazing. But the horror of the story is never realized and there is too much philosophical chat.

Tracy is terrific in the lead, but his make-up for Hyde is too subtle to be effective. The transformations require him to stand completely still which makes them a bit dull. The final transformation is quite an achievement however. Bergman could have been great but her attempt at a cockney accent seriously detracts from her fine emotional interpretation. Lana Turner is awful as Tracy's true love. But the rest of the cast is very strong - especially Donald Crisp.

The film also contains some fine Fleming touches, including his beautiful slow pans over magnificent sets and crowd scenes. The cinematography is excellent - make sure you don't watch the colorised version - and foggy Victorian London is recreated stunningly. This film never rises to the horror of the 1920 or the 1932 versions but still has much to offer.
February 16, 2013
A film that is underrated just because of many things but it is a good film on its own. The film had to do with what it had to do considering it was a part of the ratings system that was in place during those times. The 1931 version did not have a good rating system so thats why it could do what it wanted to do but this is good as well. Spencer Tracy did a good job as both Jekyll and Hyde, but to be honest Hyde was a more crazy lunatic and thats not what I think Hyde would be. Other than that consider this as its own movie and you will be surprised how good it is
Kevin L.
January 5, 2013
Dr. Jekyll allows his dark side to run wild when he drinks a potion that turns him into the evil Mr. Hyde.
December 6, 2012
KevinRobbins
October 17, 2012
Pretty girls always cause trouble

Dr. Jekyll is fascinated by good and evil in people and he believes he is capable of separating the two. He believes he has discovered a potion to separate the two but can't gain the funding to test it on humans. He decides to test the potion on himself and unlocks his inner evil, Mr. Hyde. Once out, will Dr. Jekyll ever be able to get Mr. Hyde under control?

"The world is yours, my darling. The moment is mine."

Victor Fleming, director of Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Red Dust, A Guy Named Joe, Treasure Island, The Awakening, and Mama's Affair, delivers Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The storyline for this picture included more of a love interest than I had remembered. The action was okay and the acting was solid. The cast includes Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner, and Donald Crisp.

"We doctors can't experiment on human beings."

I caught this film when a recent Spencer Tracy marathon aired on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)and I decided I had to watch this horror classic. I will say this wasn't quite as good as I hoped and was a bit boring in spots but the story of the female character was fascinating. I don't particularly recommend this old school classic.

"The bull is leaving the china shop."

Grade: C+/B-
Mike L.
September 4, 2012
Solid cast with Tracey, Bergman, and Turner. For a film that is set in England and with all the supporting cast speaking with a British accent it just seems odd that none of the stars speak in one. Well Bergman tries in her first scene but it is quickly lost as she charms Tracey, I guess a Cockney accent is not as sexy as a Swedish one. Tracey plays the title roles, with minimal makeup for the second part. Turner plays his society girlfriend and Bergman is a barmaid who Tracey rescues from a street crime. In the end I never bought into Tracey's interpretation of Mr. Hyde nor his performance as the perception is we are basing it off of how the others overreact to him opening his eyes wide. He is fine as Jekyll an the rest of the cast is good as is the direction and camera work although some of the scenes during the transformation are just odd. The performance gets better toward the end but at that point it is to late.
March 24, 2012
doctor jekyll and mr hyde play movie