Paramount Confirms Peter Berg as New Dune Director

Summary

It's official: Peter Berg is headed into the desert to take a crack at getting filmgoers excited about Frank Herbert's Dune. Back to Article

Comments

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I'll be interested in seeing Hancock.

I'll be interested to see how Dune is handled also. Berg's resume has some interesting pieces in The Kingdom and Very Bad Things, but Dune is a horse of a different color.

Mar 19 - 05:41 AM

Typhoon20

Tyrone Jackson

Have you guys checked out the review of Hancock on AICN ?
It was horrible, got a pretty bad review. Will Smith gave a great performance but it was Berg who messed up the 2nd half of the movie.

And this news isn't a happy one either, Berg will ruin this one too.

Mar 19 - 06:27 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

Wow! a third crappy version of Dune. That's really great. Meanwhile some hack of a college university professor can teach a whole "Pop Culture" class on these movies. Then they get to compare which one sucks the most. Meanwhile you and I get stuck with paying taxes to support this garbage, so philosophy and media arts majors can keep working at Mcdonalds and pay for their parent's social security. Cool!

Mar 19 - 09:08 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Is that what happened to you?

Mar 19 - 09:34 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

Uh no.

Mar 19 - 09:40 AM

odionevol

Thomas Umphres

That's dumb largely, the film hasn't even been made yet. Let's not just go saying a film is crappy before it's been made. That's just not logical at all.

Mar 19 - 10:15 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I'm getting really tired of this 'you can't predict if a movie is going to be good or bad until it comes out' argument.

Watch this: "The Dark Knight" and "Iron Man" will be extremely good, because their creative teams have the passion, resources, and skill to make them so and we have a precedent for TDK. The remake of "Robocop" will be extremely bad, at least in comparison to the original because there is no discernable motivation to re-create this recognized sci-fi classic other than greed (I.e., lack of passion and/or skill). The JLA movie will almost certainly be bad.. for reasons too numerous to go into here. "Speed Racer" will be cool to watch, if perhaps a little vapid of script. Wanna guess why I think that?

Wow. Craziest thing- I just predicted how a couple of movies are going to be! I hid under my desk for an hour to dodge the bolts of lightning from the movie gods, and they DIDN'T COME!

The only consequence of my predicting is that I might be [gasp] WRONG. Surely THEN the gods will be strike me down... or maybe I'll just get flamed on when posting on RT. To conclude, it is *ENTIRELY* logical to predict how a movie will be.

On the other hand, if you attack someone's logic BEHIND their prediction, then I might even whole-heartedly agree with you, depending on your point.

Mar 19 - 12:58 PM

dsence

Daryl martin

good for you, I'm sick of people supporting this crap hollywood is throwing at us by arguing that it "hasn't come out yet." That is one of the stupidest things someone can say because the progression of time is on their side. Debate the logic

Mar 19 - 09:10 PM

thesimulacra

Gabriel Kabik

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Seriously though, if you're going to go after liberal arts majors, why stop there? Maybe next you can riff on Michael Jackson, or airline food, or Scientology. I mean, what's up with THAT? Am I right? I mean, am I right?

Okay so, a new Dune movie - there is one reason why Dune will never be made into a movie worthy of the book. 90% of the the best parts of the book happens inside of the character's minds. Without endless first-cut Blade Runner-style voiceovers, putting this into film form is impossible. All this will be is another excuse to "re-imagine" the look of a sandworm and fellate the audience with mad crazy special effects. Hey wait, that actually sounds pretty good.

Mar 19 - 08:46 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I actually really liked the Sci-Fi versions especially Children of Dune.

Mar 19 - 09:13 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

I'll give you "Children of Dune" it was well acted and directed. Dune on the other hand, you need to go back and watch that one again it sucked.

Mar 19 - 09:30 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Is that what happened to you?

Mar 19 - 09:34 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

Uh no.

Mar 19 - 09:40 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

Uh no.

Mar 19 - 09:40 AM

MarkusCominToGETCHA

mark mckinley

Hancock had a great trailer and I thought The Rundown was way under-appreciated, so far I dig this guy.

Mar 19 - 09:42 AM

salsafish

halibut halibut

I was just telling my ~24 year old friend about Dune, he's the sort of guy who loves cinematography but is too lazy to actually read books. I always hope for authenticity in these adaptations so that we can talk about the stories. LOTR was a good example, Hitchhiker's Guide was not. I think capturing the almost paranoid theme of the religious/technological/espionage story elements is more important than the actual sandworms/fremen/spice. A strong nod to the religious significance of water, for example.

Mar 19 - 10:04 AM

odionevol

Thomas Umphres

Mar 19 - 10:15 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Mar 19 - 12:58 PM

dsence

Daryl martin

Mar 19 - 09:10 PM

jacketman

Brian Thatcher

I love how someone read 1 review from some website about Hancock and echoes the opinion of said review as their own opinion.

You joking right??? Then you amp it up and claim this movies is going to be ruined as well. Ruined like the movie you or no one you know or anyone they know has ever seen.

Do people really enjoy just saying negative things? Thats ODD. So american though.

Mar 19 - 10:27 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Great more geeky movies for fanboys to jerk off to at the Dune convention in Reno or some ****. That blowjob monster thing looks cool

Mar 19 - 10:28 AM

thereign

lance berry

Why another version of Dune? The sci-fi channel's version was actually pretty good. Why can't Hollywood just leave s.hit alone? Robocop, Rosemary's Baby, Dune, Enter the Dragon, and whatever the hell else. The day's coming when there will be NO original films released--everything will be a remake. And on that day, the sky will split open and the Apocalypse will arrive.

Sheesh.

Mar 19 - 11:53 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Mar 19 - 12:58 PM

dsence

Daryl martin

Mar 19 - 09:10 PM

Shompy

Sean Thompson

what was wrong with the sci-fi adaption? it certainly isn't possible for a movie to be more faithful to the book than that whole mini-series was. and i thought children of dune was the worse of the two, too boring and confusing. and yes i did read the book.

Mar 19 - 01:22 PM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

I was a media arts major (film studies)...now I sell software

Mar 19 - 01:27 PM

largely

Dean Peteet

Well said Tombstone. Yeah you watch movies and movie trailers long enough it becomes like shooting fish in a barrel. Things start to follow a pattern, hmmm kind of like logic. I do apologize if I offended you zgberg, but this occurance does seem to be more of a frequent trend these days.

Mar 19 - 03:21 PM

thesimulacra

Gabriel Kabik

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Mar 19 - 08:46 PM

dsence

Daryl martin

Mar 19 - 09:10 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Wasn't gonna post on this one, but between being bored on a planning period at work and wondering why the Prince of Persia article disappeared, I thought I'd drop in a say somethin'.

First off, let me say that Hurbert's Dune is the greatest straight laced sci fi I've ever read. With an intricate, honest, and strikingly realistic combination of ecology, religion, science, sociology, great characters, evocative writing, and epic storytelling, Dune has to be the ONLY science fiction/fantasy series that I've come anywhere near enjoying more than Lian Hearn's Tales of The Otori. And that, for me, is saying a lot...

Anyways, as much as I appreciate David Lynch's work, I wasn't a fan of his crammed attemp at Dune. The sci fi channel's take, like Shompy said, is probably the most faithful adapation of a novel, so far, on this side of the universe. I did, however, also like their take on Children of Dune and absolutely did not find it boring.

Given the quality of these series, this new idea strikes me at first as yet another unnecessary and gratuitous greed inspired remake. However, done well (and over the course of several chapters, if Paramount is serious about making this a tentpole franchise) it could not only exceed the Sci fi channel effort, but wind up being superior even to the Lord of the Rings movies. (the story, anyway, deserves to be).

But, that brings me full circle to the source of my original interest; an incredibly deep, serious, and evocative series of books. Hollywood, as we all know, has an unfortunate knack for diluting great stories (and with them the possibility of great films) in a misguided effort to sell more tickets.

Quite frankly, it would be a shame if yet another classic work of literature be subjected to that $hit.

'The Kingdom' makes it easy to believe in Berg's ability as a director. Let's hope he channels that same energy this time around. Let's hope, also, that the suits stay the hell out of his way.

Mar 20 - 11:34 AM