Wiseman Will Escape from New York

Now how about that Gears of War adaptation?

Just about two weeks ago, we discussed the rumor that Live Free or Die Hard director Len Wiseman was in line to helm the Escape from New York remake -- and it looks like the rumormongers were onto something, because Variety is now reporting that Wiseman is indeed in final negotiations with New Line for the project.

According to the report, the script is being written by Ken Nolan, who wrote Black Hawk Down, and the executive producers include Ori Marmur, Ron Halpern, Frederic Sichler, and -- surprise! -- John Carpenter himself. As we've known all along, 300's Gerard Butler will be taking over for Kurt Russell in the lead role.

The article doesn't mention a release date or share any details about how Nolan will be tweaking the original's script, but we can safely expect a bigger effects budget, not to mention a more futuristic setting, as the first Escape was set in 1998.

Source: Variety

Comments

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

As long as Kurt Russel is in it somewhere, I'm OK.

Aug 15 - 06:03 AM

crom

alex ledesma

In my mind, Kurt Russell will always be Snake Plissken!!!
It's like replacing Arnold from 'Conan' with whoever or Sly from 'Rocky'.

Bob Hauk: You go in, find the President, bring him out in less than 24 hours, and your're a free man.
Snake Plissken: Bull****!
Bob Hauk: I'm making you an offer.
Snake Plissken: Get a new president.
Bob Hauk: Is that your answer?
Snake Plissken: I'm thinking about it.
Bob Hauk: Think hard. We're still at war. We need him alive.
Snake Plissken: I don't give a **** about your war... or your president.

Aug 15 - 06:33 AM

gratefuldawg

Byron Sauer

again, i must ask how guys like Weisman continue to make films. Rather than floundering in DTV market he's making multi-million dollar films; and they've all sucked. Despite what critics and others have said DH4 was given a major pass compared to similar films of a different title. Like Ratner, Levy, Roth everything these guys make seem hallow, its their own amusement at the studios expense and audiences buy into the hype. Where's the new Donner, Speilberg, Scott Brothers or Scorsese ? It seems all we have are Jerry Bruckheimer undergrads earning a PHD in the art Michael Bay. Quite sad, really.

Aug 15 - 06:51 AM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

I will be the next great director, buy the rights to movie remakes and make sure they never see light.

Aug 15 - 03:03 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I wouldn't be one to say that Escape from New York is a classic.....but I still think re-making it is a little odd. But since they are arrogant enough to re-make Hitchcock movies, it doesn't suprise me that they'd re-make this one.

Aug 15 - 06:52 AM

Jasonsnak

Jason Smith

aaaaaaaaah! perfect. sounds real good to me. Good choice for writing, since black hawk down was a real amazing film in so many ways. I realy dont get why so many people are bitching about this remake. its in DIRE NEED, of a cresh coat of paint. sure its a classic, but if is being tweaked and brought up to date so its actually based in the future! not like how ENY everyone was dressed in 70's style clothes and makeup and its based in 1998 and with such ****ty military techknowledgy. what a farse! You people need to get over yourselves and let this one go. this is going to be amazing, nothing i like better than knowing that studios and film makers, at least recognize a great film and paying homage to remaking it.

Aug 15 - 09:18 AM

InfinityCorp

A A

This is one of the worst movies for a remake. The film had the "Highlander" 80's camp going on that eventually made it a cult-classic, and I loved it. Truth be told, it is a mediocre film that Kurt Russell made entertaining because he literally became his character, Snake.
These remakes are certainly getting out of hand. Get some original ideas guys?...

Aug 15 - 11:00 AM

Sabathian

Mauro Fonseca

Why ever remake a John Carpenter movie?! Haven't seen one remake of his movies worth doing... The originals are far better, but it's just me...

Aug 15 - 11:15 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Pointless remake. The film will surely lose that action/horror dichotomy without Carpenter directing.

Idiots.

Aug 15 - 11:23 AM

Jasonsnak

Jason Smith

yes its a classic, no idea is orginal these days. its just another artits depiction of the same idea. ever hear of a cover song anyone?

Aug 15 - 11:59 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

No idea is original these days? How about "Pan's Labyrinth" or "Inland Empire?" Or "Oldboy"? "Save the Green Planet"? "The Fountain"? "The Proposition"? These films and more prove that there's no excuse for not coming up with a good idea.

Aug 15 - 12:23 PM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

Aug 15 - 03:03 PM

moviemonkey2

J P

Yet another unnecessary remake. Wa-frickin-hoo

Aug 15 - 03:21 PM

Crhualsees

Chase Kahn

why remake a boring movie?

Aug 15 - 05:59 PM

Exode

? ?

I found it entertaining, but by today's standards I can see why you describe it as boring. I think those responsible for this remake thought the same thing which is probably why they chose Wiseman. I imagine that this version will incorporate much more action this time considering that the remake won't be limited by its budget, which last time was incredibly low.

Aug 15 - 07:05 PM

Exode

? ?

Aug 15 - 07:05 PM

Jasonsnak

Jason Smith

great thought u really hit the head on this nail. i am definatly behind that perspective. a good concept for a film just with such horrible funding it never got a chance to really come out clear and in depth detail as it probably could have been.

Aug 16 - 06:04 AM

Mary_Utah

Mary Brennan

Wow, this is a movie i'd hope they would not feel the need to remake. But, if they are going to do it, Gerry will be great!

Oct 21 - 12:39 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships