Far From the Madding Crowd Reviews

August 2, 2015
filmed "true" to the book, with only the hairstyles giving away when it was filmed. the film caught the humor, and the pastoral background that was such an important part of the book.
July 24, 2015
John Schlesinger's 1967 adaptation may be a bit dated and long-winded, but it does a far superior job of translating Thomas Hardy to the screen than this the 2015 Thomas Vinterberg version.

Something is captured here by Alan Bates, Peter Finch and the unforgettable Julie Christie that seems impossible to match much less beat.

It is both majestic and clearly executed. Nicolas Roeg's cinematography is amazing.
June 2, 2015
A very good adaptation which really brings out the personalities and roles of some of the humbler farmhand characters quite effectively. Very well-done and quite faithful to the Hardy novel while presenting a beautiful and cinematic vision of the English countryside of Hardy's Wessex. The herds of sheep, the storms, the barns, markets, country churches and coastline of England, it's all here.
May 10, 2015
As someone that really isn't a fan of period piece costume dramas, this is a pretty good one. Though overlong, Christie, Stamp, and Finch give wonderful performances. Beautiful cinematography, costumes, and production design and a wonderful score.
April 8, 2015
wonderful film - never tire of it
March 18, 2015
Need to see this again
jjnxn
June 20, 2007
Absolutely gorgeous version of the Hardy classic, with some captivating scenes particularly the storm sequence. Some of the top talent of the acting world of the 60's is on hand making this an entertaining epic. A livelier pace would have made it more compelling however. All the leads acquit themselves well but top honors go to Alan Bates, an actor of great skill.
January 20, 2015
Cuando John Schlesinger hacia buenas peliculas...Julie Christie una diosa.
March 3, 2014
Unlike Nastassja Kinski, the Julie Christie here creates for herself under Thomas Hardy's narrative. Peter Finch and Alan Bates, as a result, draws sympathy easier with great performances.
flixsterman
½ July 4, 2009
Hardy's novel is brought to life with passion and flair.
February 6, 2012
Beautiful scenery, nice music, but NO character development, NO development of the relationships, male actors fine, but Julie Christie just pouts and simpers and looks 1960s Mod. Very disappointing. Thomas Hardy must have been turning in his grave.
January 29, 2012
I was only a little girl when I saw this movie. Terrence Stamp became my crush. I wanted to grow up and find a boyfriend like him. Of course when I grew up and watched it again, I knew that might not be the best choice. Julie Christie was magnificent.
Bill D 2007
½ December 14, 2011
John Schlesinger's surprisingly dull three-hour epic "Far From the Madding Crowd" is not so much a movie as a TV mini-series. It is grandly majestic in its look but puny in its content and perspective.

Just because something is filmed in wide-screen Cinemascope and covers a long chronological period doesn't mean it is broad in perspective. "Madding" has the look of a grand epic but the content of a soap opera. The Thomas Hardy novel upon which it is based must have some depth. But Schlesinger ends up providing the appearance of depth more than the real thing. His actors, who are almost absurdly talented, give a lot of meaningful looks, but they have little to say that is interesting.

Almost everyone from England's 1960s acting royalty is represented here, including Julie Christie, Terence Stamp, Alan Bates and Peter Finch. But great actors cannot do much more than look regal when all they have is soap opera to play. This is the downfall of British television in general: almost without fail it puts aristocratic actors into petit-bourgeois soap opera.

The film Schlesinger made after this, "Midnight Cowboy" (1969), is so much better than "Madding" that it's almost surreal. How could the same person direct these two films in the span of a few years? Amazing.

(Incidentally, I still don't know what the hell "madding" means. Also incidentally, if you haven't seen "Midnight Cowboy," you are missing out on something extraordinary.)
November 22, 2011
Not my boy Schles's finest hour. Stamp illustrating his swordsmanship in three minute dream sequence reminiscent of "heffalumps and woozles" sequence in Winnie The Pooh
September 11, 2009
This is not the version I saw but they don't have it listed. The one I saw starred Nathaniel Parker and Paloma Baeza. This is the best I've ever seen of Mr. Parker however, what a freaking mess of a story. Bathsheba is selfish and "a player" in her own time. She didn't deserve Gabriel Oak who was a good man and truly loved her in spite of her flaws. Poor guy. God help him later on. And yet AGAIN I was robbed of seeing a kiss or even a hug. Damn I hate that!!!
jimbotender
October 5, 2008
The English can do no wrong.A rising star sitting in the director's chair having 4 future giants in front of the camera,deliberately tarnished cinematography for the social depiction of a counter-cultural status on Hardy's book.3 decades later Winterbottom would explore another Hardy book in perfection,nevertheless,Schlesinger gives us a magnitude of a film.
May 18, 2007
want to see this because it won best picture with the NBR and was nominated for best picture at the golden globes