43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fire and Ice Reviews

Phil H

May 25, 2010
Haven't seen this for along time but really enjoyed seeing it again. Another brilliant Bakshi rotoscope animation which looks even better and more fluid than his famous 'LOTR' film. The plot is basic and the whole thing plays out a little too quickly (1h 18min) but the direct and simple fairytale approach really seems to work well despite being silly.

The look of the film is like 'LOTR' in design and colour schemes, its vibrant in places, eerie in others and shows nice clear details throughout. It does feel like there could be much more to see in this world, you just wanna see it expand further with more creatures and adventures. As said the film is kinda limited and short, a sequel would of been just the ticket.

Really this could easily be a chapter from the 'LOTR' franchise with names like 'Fire Keep', 'Nekron', 'Darkwolf', 'Teegra', 'Larn' etc...Bakshi having done 'LOTR' prior obviously helped a lot here. His approach has been refined as has the animators skills and techniques. There is also a clear 'Conan' feeling running through this too thanks to writers from 'Marvel', its pure 80's fantasy to a tee with great graphic novel visuals, a living comic way back before the likes of 'Sin City'.

Again like 'LOTR' the voice work is great and really makes the whole thing more than just a cartoon. The rotoscoping is much better and looks more realistic (quite eerie actually), the film is much more adult in style and action, plenty of blood and killing. A pre-runner to modern adaptations if you ask me, not at all for kids, more along the lines of 'The Beastmaster' perhaps.

This is great fun and could really be a decent adult fantasy live action film if made correctly, but I stress ADULT only. 'Teegra' must be running around in her skimpy thong and straddling a Pterodactyl if this is gonna work for live action haha.

A real sense of many barbarian fantasy films from back in the day including a taste of 'He-Man', of course 'Conan' rings true over everything else. That doesn't detract from this what so ever, as an original creation Bakshi has done an amazing job to bring this together with much quality and style. A true cult classic that is probably Bakshi's finest hour in animation.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

May 1, 2007
I think I've stated this before, but I'm not an enormous fan of Ralph Bakshi's work. I'm more fascinated than anything. I consider him the Stanley Kubrick of animated films. What I mean by that is the supposed freedom he had to make pretty much whatever he wanted containing whatever content he felt was necessary for it, AND that the studios supported it. So yeah, I find it fascinating. Fire and Ice is probably a bit more tame compared to films like Heavy Traffic and Coonskin. It's a fantasy film in the sort of same vein as The Lord of the Rings, even though it doesn't feel all that fresh or different. It's not a bad film, but it doesn't really bring much new to the table. It's not socially-conscious, it contains mostly the same animated techniques as his other films and it feels stale story-wise. Having said all that, it still works. The backgrounds are beautifully-drawn, the voice acting is quite excellent and the designs are pretty well-executed. I dig it, I must say. It's definitely not for everyone, but then again, Ralph Bakshi's work never is.
AJ V

December 5, 2010
I wanted more from this movie, being a fan of Bakshi's I expected something really cool looking, modern, edgy, and controversial. This is a more traditional fantasy adventure, and while it has some scary characters and a bit of nudity, it's not that good. It's not bad, the animation is good, but the story is bad.
Conner R

July 1, 2010
Very cool movie, for pure entertainment it's amazing. Sure it's not loaded with intelligence, but it's a lot more refreshing than a Disney adventure with singing and morals. This is more in the reign of Heavy Metal in that there's a ton of sexuality and violence. The Frank Frazetta backdrops are utterly breath-taking, no wonder Conan is one of my favorites. Darkwolf is the best, the guy sure knows how to cut people up.
_kelly .

February 2, 2008
bakshi's most disappointing work
Mike T

September 8, 2006
Thematically, this is very dull work for Bakshi, and it's dull in terms of most of its execution too. The animation is interesting and often quite stunning, but that is the extent of this film's appeal. The dialogue is too cliche-ridden to work, the character designs are ridiculous and the story contains nothing that couldn't be found in a superior fantasy movie.
Marion R

July 30, 2007
It was a fun watch, simple to follow. Interesting animation, sorta set in like the stone age. Same director as Wizards Ralph Bakshi.
March 2, 2012
This is just like He-Man: Masters of the Universe, only slower. Also a mix of Conan the Barbarian in there. The plot was fairly lacking with not a very good job on character building, but it does seem to be a cult favorite.
The80sExpert
March 23, 2010
Not Bakshi's best movie, actually it's kind of disappointing compared to his other films. I was expecting more in the way of blood and guts and sex and stuff like that, but it didn't happen. Sure the characters are all scantily clad, but there's no reason for it, and they look cold. Sometimes this movie got on my nerves because the princess kept getting captured and freed and captured and freed, enough's enough! Other than those problems, the story is pretty good for a fantasy movie, and the animation looks just as good as his other movies. Overall, it's okay, but disappointing after seeing his better known films.
Moxi
November 30, 2010
Visuals are ahead of their time, the story is simple but it's still an enjoyable ride reminiscent of Conan the Barbarian.
August 19, 2007
Ralph Bakshi and Frank Frazetta teamed up and created an entirely original animated fantasy, and I love it. It's ridicolous, to be certain, but the animation is some of Bakshi's best, and the story, while typical, is told well and clear. The action is good.
21rclemente
November 10, 2009
Wow. this movie has pieces of LotR, Conan, and Heavy Metal. Mind blowing imo. It has insane slow-mo fight sequences, scantily clad females, and a crazy eighties fantacy plot....What else do you want!? Bakshi's second best... at least this one had bearable voice overs and proportional illustrations.
dcrees
September 23, 2009
All kinds of 80s fun! Dungeons and Dragons style fantasy, combined with beautiful animation and unabashedly nearly-naked characters. It's just a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind owning it.
jjb3332003
March 25, 2009
One of my favorites as a kid, I had not seen this movie in many years. I'm surprised by the PG rating as it is actually graphically violent at many points. The animation is quite cool, especially the slow-mo scenes. Darkwolf is the shit - right up there with Aragorn.
May 26, 2008
Great animation, cool fight scenes in an okay fantasy adventure. Teegra wins at everything in my book. Larn is such a fox; she looked so sexy pole-vaulting over the wolves! Nekron reminded me of Billy Drago.
Johnlindsey289
March 4, 2008
Simply one of the coolest animated fantasy epics around! This is Ralph Bakshi's second finest movie besides "American Pop", it's got action, hot animated chicks and stylish visual animation.

I adored this since i was a kid, a must see for fantasy lovers and animation fans alike.
joyouskiss
July 15, 2007
It's a cool, old style cartoon. Strange, really. Likeable and the story is not too shabby, kind of like He-Man.
June 19, 2007
It doesn't always work, but it gets supreme cred for the visual look alone. Definitely worth checking out if you dug Heavy Metal or any other "bad-ass animated flick"
gawaindragon
May 5, 2007
When the rotoscoping is this tight, you wonder why they even bothered making it an animated film to begin with, and long, overblown sequences make for a boring movie.