50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fire and Ice Reviews

June 5, 2014
It's not one of Ralph Bakshi's best works, but as an animated fantasy feature, I'd say it's worth watching, if mainly because of the occasional moments that are weird and wonderful. The film itself follows in the footsteps of the more successful Schwarzenegger film known as "Conan the Barbarian", which made heroic fantasy very popular in the 1980's. Naturally, there isn't that much depth, which at a length of only 81 minutes is something you should probably expect in this film. The voice acting isn't bad, but isn't really great either. In fact, there are times when I think that Teegra's lines become unbelievable. However, if the film has one thing going for it, it's the overall art style. Although the animation isn't as polished as his previous works, Ralph Bakshi's collaboration with fantasy illustrator Frank Frazetta pays off in a different way, with a nice art style that makes up for the film's shoddier areas.
March 11, 2013
Joya subestimada de la animación de los 80's. Ciertas partes parecen copias de Star Wars pero su estética le da personalidad propia.
ToDandy
February 27, 2014
Bakshi gives one final attempt at a fantasy epic and this one is without a doubt his best looking animated film. Too bad it's plot mostly consists of the main characters getting chased around in circles for an hour and a half.
June 28, 2013
Fun,and entertaining for every 20 year old living with his parents. Classic Ralph Bakshi film and desires cult status
May 18, 2013
I'm not overly fond of Bakshi's work, especially his LotR and Hobbit attempts and while this is not the greatest film what I love is the old school fantasy style they achieve in it. While Larn is reminiscent of He-Man and Teegra is so scantily clad for sex appeal reasons, the story is what makes this so good for me.
May 11, 2013
If you're gonna kill the ice lord, boy, you better learn to live with pain
KevinRobbins
March 2, 2013
I spit on peace. I spit on you.

On a mystical planet there are two primary clans, those that worship fire and those that worship ice. There are also a host of creatures and beings on the planet with no particular allegiance to anyone. The evil lord of the ice clan, Nekron, destroys a small fire village and kidnaps a half naked woman. The half naked woman will be pursued by a He-Man like hero from the fire clan. Can our hero save the half naked woman?

"A pig you are; and like a pig, you will die."

Ralph Bakshi, director of The Lord of the Rings (1978), Cool World, Fritz the Cat, Wizards, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin, delivers Fire and Ice. This 80 minute animated film had high hopes of being an epic. The story was okay but the action scenes were awesome. The animation style was a bit clunky. The voices were okay and included Cynthia Leake, Randy Norton, Steve Sandor, and Sean Hannon.

"You can come along...if you behave yourself."

Fire and Ice is a movie that I always thought had a cool cover. I came across it while flicking through Netflix and decided to give it a shot. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this picture at times and other times I thought it was trying too hard. The animation style was a bit disappointing but I did adore most of the action scenes. This is just okay and worth seeing once.

"We have to start over."

Grade: C+
January 10, 2013
I've seen this soooo very long ago... all I can remember is that, it was pretty cool
December 29, 2012
The plot lacks originality and the animation is one of the worst I have ever seen. Although there are a few okay things in the film, especially the character Darkwolf, these things never make up for the general Q-level of the film.
December 14, 2012
A beautiful but generic animated fantasy who's only draw back is the distraction created by differing art styles when comparing character desgins and back drops.
December 11, 2012
This is just a plain awesome film. It's one of best fantasy sorcery films that I have seen, liked it even more than Heavy Metal. I love the look of the animation, it's very similar to Heavy Metal. It's all just pure fantasy, pure fun and I just love these kinds of movies. This is my idea of what a fantasy movie should be like.
November 17, 2012
Seeing a Frazetta inspired world in motion is a sight to behold despite the heavy dependance on rotoscoping. There is very little plot and even that is excessively drawn out and padded with repetitive chase scene after chase scene.
davefischer
September 10, 2012
I love Bakshi, and hate Frazetta. So... interesting, but not for me.
March 30, 2012
Some great animation but the story just doesn't hold up to Bakshi's other films. Plus the PG rating really makes it feel like he's holding back so much; this movie seems like it wants to be really sexy and violent, but just can't be, which makes some of it a bit frustrating.
August 31, 2012
Good animation with a simple, but decent story. Lonewolf is pretty cool, too. The downsides being the characters aren't too memorable and there's a lot of very distracting fanservice.
Phil H

May 25, 2010
Haven't seen this for along time but really enjoyed seeing it again. Another brilliant Bakshi rotoscope animation which looks even better and more fluid than his famous 'LOTR' film. The plot is basic and the whole thing plays out a little too quickly (1h 18min) but the direct and simple fairytale approach really seems to work well despite being silly.

The look of the film is like 'LOTR' in design and colour schemes, its vibrant in places, eerie in others and shows nice clear details throughout. It does feel like there could be much more to see in this world, you just wanna see it expand further with more creatures and adventures. As said the film is kinda limited and short, a sequel would of been just the ticket.

Really this could easily be a chapter from the 'LOTR' franchise with names like 'Fire Keep', 'Nekron', 'Darkwolf', 'Teegra', 'Larn' etc...Bakshi having done 'LOTR' prior obviously helped a lot here. His approach has been refined as has the animators skills and techniques. There is also a clear 'Conan' feeling running through this too thanks to writers from 'Marvel', its pure 80's fantasy to a tee with great graphic novel visuals, a living comic way back before the likes of 'Sin City'.

Again like 'LOTR' the voice work is great and really makes the whole thing more than just a cartoon. The rotoscoping is much better and looks more realistic (quite eerie actually), the film is much more adult in style and action, plenty of blood and killing. A pre-runner to modern adaptations if you ask me, not at all for kids, more along the lines of 'The Beastmaster' perhaps.

This is great fun and could really be a decent adult fantasy live action film if made correctly, but I stress ADULT only. 'Teegra' must be running around in her skimpy thong and straddling a Pterodactyl if this is gonna work for live action haha.

A real sense of many barbarian fantasy films from back in the day including a taste of 'He-Man', of course 'Conan' rings true over everything else. That doesn't detract from this what so ever, as an original creation Bakshi has done an amazing job to bring this together with much quality and style. A true cult classic that is probably Bakshi's finest hour in animation.
Cthulhu B.
July 29, 2012
An hour and a half of Frazetta drawing's coming to life is really not that bad, even if it has been described as an overly long He-Man episode.
July 4, 2012
same old bakshi, slow at times and very odd but always looks cool
May 13, 2012
It was a fun watch, simple to follow. Interesting animation, sorta set in like the stone age.
January 27, 2012
Excellent movie. One of my favorite movies as a kid. This isn't a Disney type cartoon by any means. There's a lot of action. The characters and the art are very interesting.