The Goodbye Girl Reviews

movieguru12
December 1, 2008
July 13, 2010
This is not your average love hate relationship. Dreyfuss deserved his Oscar, and everyone deserves to see this film.
June 25, 2008
Winning love story, written by Neil Simon, has great chemistry between its leads. Scenes where Dreyfuss is a flamboyant Richard III are side-splitting.
July 29, 2007
I quite enjoyed this film. Elliot (Richard Dreyfuss) and Paula (Marsha Mason) are forced to share a New York apartment. They grow from hating to appreciating each other.

Dreyfuss won an Academy award for his part, but Quinn Cummings as Paula's daughter does wonderfully in her role. The gay Richard III is a lark too.
garyX
½ March 29, 2007
Neil Simon scripted rom com that has the kind of affectionate wit Woody Allen used to be so good at. Dreyfuss has never been more likeable, and Richard III in drag is hilarious!
September 11, 2013
Not entirely my kettle of fish although I appreciate Dreyfuss and Mason's performances. I prefer other depictions of Broadway but this is nonetheless a well polished film.
½ October 12, 2012
Parts of "The Goodbye Girl" feel a little contrived and there's almost no explanation for the unexpected romance that develops between the two protagonists, which makes their relationship feel awkward and paper thin, but the cast is so good and the screenplay is so funny and sweet that these issues become irrelevant. Richard Dreyfuss is excellent.
June 14, 2007
Maybe its slightly dated, and a bit stagy, but still has some hilarious and touching moments. Dreyfuss steals the show as the upcoming actor Elliott Garfield in a star making performance. Quinn Cummings is fantastic as the daughter, who seems more mature than her mother at times. However, I'm not a big Marsha Mason fan, and her performance did nothing to win me over. Herbert Ross proves to be a better than competent director, perhaps having a certain affinity to the material.
lizzardb72688
May 30, 2008
This is a total chick flick... but guys can definitely appreciate Richard Dreyfus's smoothness and wit in this classic love/hate/adore romantic comedy.
½ February 26, 2008
Cute little love story back when Dreyfuss was passionate about acting.Good date movie.
February 20, 2013
One of the better romantic comedies that isn't often mentioned. Richard Dreyfuss won a Best Actor Oscar for his eccentric and funny turn as a struggling actor living with a single mother and her daughter. This is pretty much a three person movie and Dreyfuss, Marsha Mason, and Quinn Cummings are all great together thanks to the sharp script by Neil Simon.

Grade: A-
December 4, 2011
A woman, Paula (Marsha Mason) & a man, Elliott Garfield (Richard Dreyfuss) are forced to share an apartment after Tony DeForrest, an actor who took care of Paula & her 10 year old daughter Lucy (Quinn Cummings in her first role) left & Elliott was next to sublet the apartment. Elliott acts as Richard lll in an off-off broadway play. Paula & Elliott fight through the duration of the film until they learn to appreciate one & another fall in love. The chemistry between Dreyfuss & Mason is wonderful & Quinn Cummings shines in the role of Mason's daughter Lucy. Another part that is funny is when Dreyfuss is acting as Richard lll :) Richard Dreyfuss's best film :) Everyone needs to see this movie :) It's just ahhhhhmazing! :) :) :) :) Love it!
March 15, 2012
funny as this movie is in places, I just really didn't care for it. Quinn Cummings is pretty awesome as Lucy, and Dreyfuss enjoyably animated as well. I didn't really like Marsha Mason at all, but that's mostly due to her character. that was my biggest problem--neither Elliott nor Paula are especially likable people, but this is supposed to be an endearing romantic comedy. much as I like Neil Simon, the only things I liked about this movie were the actors and the words he had them say. the characters and the story they were in just really irritated me.
June 6, 2011
A wonderful love story between actors. maybe that's why I loved it so much? Richard Dreyfuss is excellent
½ August 25, 2008
Say hello to Neil Simon's finest love story The Goodbye Girl. I liked how two mismatched roommates live together as they take their chance in a new relationship, and it's all romantic, dramatic, and comedic into one. When Paula McFadden's actor boyfriend split today for a movie role, struggling actor Elliot Garfield moves into their Manhattan apartment as its new tenant's name. As Elliot doesn't have the heart to enforce his lease he plays Richard III on an off-off-Broadway play. Directed by Herbert Ross and starring the very excellent performances of the Oscar-winning Richard Dreyfuss, Marsha Mason, and introducing Quinn Cummings as the adorable Lucy.
August 28, 2008
First movie I saw Richard D in. He won the Oscar. I knew he would. A character said he "had charisma" & he did, & still does.
June 12, 2008
A sweet a wonderful film. Haven't seen it in a while, a review from a friend sparked my memory of it! I would highly recommend this film.
February 15, 2008
Richard Dreyfuss strumming his guitar naked in the middle of the night is one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen!
November 17, 2007
one of my all time favorites.....richard dreyfuss and marsha mason are wonderful together in this movie!
July 22, 2007
I liked the remake of this movie, and I liked the musical, and I like Neil Simon... it makes sense I'd like this as well. And I did. I always warm immediately to these characters, no matter what their flaws may be. Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason did a good job of bringing that likeability to the screen. And Neil Simon's dialogue is just always charming... witty without being too obviously scripted. This is a fun one.