Harvey Reviews

½ October 16, 2014
A sweet movie that is adorable like James Stewart's character, who charms us distributing business cards and being nice to everyone that he meets, while Josephine Hull deserved the Oscar she won for her hilarious, on-the-edge-of-hysteria performance.
½ November 17, 2011
Jimmy Stewart is brilliant as Elwood P. Dowd in this great moral tale that will leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy.
½ November 15, 2011
An infectiously nice/insane main character played brilliantly by James Stewart, a great skeptical reflection of the audience portrayed by Josephine Hull, and a great story make this movie one of a kind. It is funny, nice and has a wonderful moral.
TomBowler
½ October 3, 2011
Amazing performance by Jimmy Stewart. Full review later.
½ September 7, 2011
Whimsical, old fashioned and extremely likable. The film doesn't seem dated but some of the acting does, James Stewart is wonderful as Elwood P. Dowd, one of cinema's best loved characters but the supporting casts performances can grate a little. That though is my only criticism. The story is brilliant and James Stewart is at his best, a real slice of cinematic magic.
½ July 16, 2007
Now there's a perfectly rational explanation for everything, you've got to agree . Science has overcome time and space ... well Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections. The nature of faith explained ... by a 6 foot 3 white rabbit.
May 2, 2011
James Stewart just kills me dead. I could watch him read the phonebook for hours. However, I hated every other actor in this movie.
September 5, 2010
This comedy/drama is hilarious, but with a bit of sadness in the background, I think, which makes it a uniquely fantastic film. Stewart is terrific as the main character, if you're a fan of his you should really see his performance in this movie.
April 4, 2010
James Stewart is unflappable as ever, even with an imaginary rabbit at his side.
December 27, 2008
An absolutely charming and wonderful film. It is very lighthearted, in it's depiction of mental illness and alcoholism, but it is so good natured that it becomes a very moving film. Stewart plays the role of a lifetime. He is sweet and most of all hilarious. It's amazing that a film over 50 years old can stand up against the comedies of today in pure hilarity. It's a film that makes you smile while genuinely making you a happier person. It has some excellent morals and is never disgustingly sweet or naive. For lovers of Capra and the recent Lars and the Real Girl.
Mr Awesome
December 16, 2008
Jimmy Stewart stars as Elwood P. Dowd, a man who's friends with a 6 foot invisible rabbit in this light-hearted look at the victims of mental health facilities who suffer from acute psychosis. Dowd shares his home with (besides the giant rabbit) a nervous older sister and her equally unbalanced, man-hungry 20-something daughter. Dowd has inherited a great fortune you see, and like all others who inherit large sums of money, he seems to have a screw loose. His sister, while somewhat crazy (she only sees the rabbit SOME of the time), still feels it's her brother who's holding back their climb up the social ladder, and because of this, she decides she must commit her brother to the local mental institution. From this point, the hijinks ensue. It's implied throughout the movie that the giant rabbit might actually exist, and is something called a "pooka". In fact, I may have to quote wikipedia here: "There is a humorous scene in which Mr. Wilson, the asylum orderly, reads the definition of pooka in the encyclopedia: 'Pooka. From old Celtic mythology. A fairy spirit in animal form. Always very large. The pooka appears here and there, now and then, to this one and that one at his own caprice. A wise[2] but mischievous creature. Very fond of rum-pots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?' This provides the notion that Harvey is real." The thing that separates Harvey from other mentally disturbed pictures, like say, "12 Monkeys", is that Elwood P. Dowd is such an affable character. While his sister is running around throwing hysterical fits over the tiniest thing, Elwood spends his time hanging out in the local bars, introducing himself to strangers and inviting them over for dinner. It's his goofy charm that carries the weight of the movie. When his sister takes him for a drive up to the sanitarium, he goes along just as affably as you please. When Mr Wilson gets rough and drags him up to the scrub-down area, he's still trying to introduce himself to everyone and invite them over for dinner as he's being pushed along. To quote Dowd: "I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with". It's a wondefully well-written script, delivered in memorable performances.
October 5, 2008
What a touching movie! James Stewart is at his best as the naive and ultra-nice Elwood P. Dowd. He's already my favorite actor, but I think this film made me appreciate him even more. HARVEY is funny, but with a little bit of drama and lots of heart. Josephine Hull is great; solid performances by Peggy Dowd and Jesse White.
April 23, 2008
I had never seen this one until recently and Jimmy Stewart is flawless. I wish my wife was this way when she was drunk.
½ April 26, 2007
Arguably Jimmy Stewart's finest performance
garyX
March 1, 2007
Likeable feelgood movie that promotes individuality and tolerance in an amusingly surreal way. I found Stewarts performance a little too compliant and "Aw Gee shucks" for my tastes, but an enjoyable lightly comic piece.
October 25, 2006
Another reason why Jimmy Stewart was and will always be amazing.
½ October 21, 2006
Excellent work! This feel-good comedy conerns one Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart), local drunk and best friends to an imaginary six-foot rabbit, the titular Harvey. Stewart is fantastic in this, and makes for a hilarious film. The picture is not only comical, but also a paen to tolerance, a much-ignored facet of the burgeoning decade, as Harvey seems to have a positive effect on the townsfolk, most notably the psychiatrist assigned to 'fix' Elwood, who ends up seeing Harvey as well! The film's underlying moral is that one can only be truly happy by throwing caution to the wind, and abandoning social constraints. This has of course granted the film its critics, but no heart should be left untouched by the ending. Watch it and see.
½ May 28, 2006
Comedy Classic
neumdaddy
½ May 4, 2007
The "u" really makes the word "beautiful" beautiful. Aesthetically and phonetically, without it it's almost infantile, sounding fairly hideous and encumbering any original meaning, instead resulting in what reminds me of a bad vegetable. Beatifl. Just...no.

So, here's to you, "u"!

[This entry brought to you by Friday's Most Glaring Work Typo, and the letter "U"]

[size=1][This entry was definitely not edited.][/size]
½ October 27, 2014
A pleasant, whimsical, charming, warm-hearted comedy.