—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Hit Reviews

Pierluigi P

April 22, 2013
Antagonizing conceptions of life and death among criminals. An stylish and multi-layered examination of that moment of truth, of coming to terms with the vague but terrifying notion of parting this world. Fantastic performances by the leading triad. Probably Frears' best and most underrated cinematic venture.
Alec B

July 6, 2010
Some of the major plot points don't make a lot of sense, the inclusion of the young Spanish girl and subsequent failed attempts to kill her, in particular is rather silly. But the performances of John Hurt, Tim Roth, and Terence Stamp are all great, but not enough to save the film from its narrative shortcomings.
mattsigur1
mattsigur1

March 27, 2011
Pretty good little film. A sparse script and an amazing Terence Stamp performance kept my eyes peeled to this slow-moving snail of a film. I can't say that I didn't enjoy every bit of it though. The way Stamp works everyone in a little chess game is reason enough to see it, but Fernando Rey was completely invisible in this film!
Shrewlord
Shrewlord

December 16, 2010
It's a hit !

A little gem of a picure this one. Great casting, great performances and strong and complex characters give this fairly low budget movie a punch that hits (groan) above its weight and keeps the viewer thoroughly involved from start to finish.
magicstars1
October 24, 2013
A good look into important matters, but without the ending some might want. It could have ended more happily, but it also could have ended in a much more dismal manner.
April 13, 2011
another winner from spears stamp gives an amazing performance this movie like a mash-up of sexy beast crossed with zorba the greek
GabrielKnight
March 28, 2011
I was expecting a crime drama, but this is really a road movie. Very well acted, with a clever script that keeps the viewer wondering what's coming next. Even though it's from mid-80's, it has a '70's movie feel to it.
TonyPolito
August 16, 2010
A road-tripping quartet deliver reasonably brainy dialogue/plot as they trek through lush views of Pyrenees towns and mountains toward the eventual execution of one - or perhaps all - of them. A Criterion resto (short on extras).

Act 1?s little more than a vehicle to load the vehicle (first a 1970ish Peugeot, then a 1970ish Mercedes) with its passengers. Ex-hoodlum Stamp?s been hiding in Spain since he ratted-out his Cockney gang/partners a decade ago. Savvy, experienced errand-boy Hurt and his brand-spankin?-new protégé Roth chauffeur the long-overdue cab ride home. Laura DelSol, a witness not left behind, being far too sexy to whack, saddles up in the remaining empty seat.

Act 2?s a slow-reveal of each quite subtly playing the others for position. Stamp?s rather blasé. An escape strategy - or peace already made with his eventual day of reckoning? Instead, it's Hurt and Roth?s sweating their pressed bets: They?re barely ahead of the cops, incompetent Roth?s clearly shaping up as excess baggage, and Hurt?s going to earn an end-of-the-line ticket-punch if he screws up. DelSol, at first blush merely cinematic eye-candy, starts working hard to end up ?the keeper? instead of simply road-kill.

The lush cinematographic admiration of Spanish villages, roadways and greenery notwithstanding, the film?s really a stage play with four folding chairs as set design, being all about the headgames between the four. Who?ll live, who not? With four paying passengers, each head squarely under the guillotine blade, there?s plenty of possible permutations.

The viewer?s invited to sympathize with any protagonist of choice. The best choice is Hurt, who?s slowly realizing that, in allowing this straightforward job to deteriorate into disaster, his own career-choice and life-expectancy are justly and quite rapidly closing in on him.

RECOMMENDATION: Reasonably smart and one-spin worthy.
thereverendtholomewplague
February 22, 2010
Great film. Very entertaining and quite amusing. Awesome performances all around. Some parts I still don't really pick up, But it was good in all. Well worth the watch!
July 22, 2009
Methodically paced and filled with clever writing, this tale of two hit men escorting their target to Paris is surprisingly engaging considering the small amount of action that happens during the hour and forty minute run-time.

Terence Stamp is awesome as the aloof gangster turned informant set to be killed, and Tim Roth gives a good performance as a novice killer along for the ride with a more experienced mentor.

Well worth a rental if you have the chance.
January 7, 2009
Strange film to say the least. Very amuzing though. I also have to say that it made me lose the little respect I still had for Tarentino. It is basically the same kind of senseless story with a lot of violence and a self-confessed quest for cult sequences.
Although I must say I quite enjoyed seeing: 1. the rarely mentioned subject of the English supergrasses of the early 80s 2. the way the English imagined Spain at the time (about the way most Americans see Mexico now: violent, corrupted, underdeveloped and romantic).
filmlover1994
April 13, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
Mike L.
December 1, 2013
8/10 Meta-noire. Both archetypical and realistic. Visually perfect with some sequences knocking you down. Dialogs are something to be surprised (style of speech and the reason for this). Every detail has it's own meaning - think about it.
October 2, 2007
Superb acting from Hurt and Stamp is enough to smooth over any rough patches.
Pierluigi P

April 22, 2013
March 22, 2013
A thriller that does not overuse any cliche (if there is any), and has a good emphasis in dialogue. Great cinematography; the darker theme in contrast with the sunny weather (although I think it was a bit detrimental at times), one of my favourite directors and three of my favourite actors; what's not to love? Ohh yes, the completely unpredictable ending. I was blown away!
October 25, 2012
A philosophical mob story, with remarkable performances from John Hurt, Tim Roth, and most of all, Terrence Stamp.
October 27, 2012
"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" slow paced road movie. Hurt excels as the ruthless boss of the kidnapp gang assigned to bring supergrass Parker back to his former associates, for some gangland justice. Roth gives good support and a serious twitch from Laura del Sol.
March 22, 2012
Really beautifully shot and with a very good soundtrack by Eric Clapton (and Roger Waters!), The Hit gives an interesting and artistic twist to classic gangster and assassination films. The three lead men perform very well as well and make this, although it is a bit strange and has some questionable plot points, a very good movie.
Luke W.
December 13, 2011
A quiet thriller that is low on plot while heavy on long glances. The ending isn't really explained, leaving us to infer why the characters made their decisions, but so little is revealed about them over the course of the movie that I just stopped trying to guess altogether.