100 Rifles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

100 Rifles Reviews

March 16, 2010
This is a somewhat underrated action film set during the Mexican Revolution with James Brown as a deputy who crosses the border to bring back Burt Reynolds for the stolen 100 rifles. Eventually Brown and Reynolds get involved in the Revolution through Raquel Welch . Brown and Reynolds play well off each other as they go up against Fernando Lamas and his Federal army. Director Tom Gries put together some great action sequences. That combined with Jerry Goldsmith's score makes for a film that really delivers. Hans Gudegast (Eric Braeden) brilliantly underplays his part as a German military advisor to Lamas. This film helped launch Burt Reynolds into stardom.
February 21, 2010
Not a great western, but not a bad one either.
August 26, 2009
Moderately entertaining. Memorable to me because it was the first movie I watched on my big screen!
½ June 23, 2009
If you like to see men Hanging, Loose Women, Firing Squad Executions, and nice pictures of Burt Reynolds, this is your movie.
½ April 11, 2009
Solid enough Western
February 25, 2009
Disappointing is the word I would use to describe my reaction to this film. Perhaps it was because I'd been wanting to see it for some time and had high expectations.

The direction of this film was quite terrible. The pacing was way too slow and in many scenes I felt the camera wasn't on the actor's face when it should have been in order to capture emotional moments. Moreover, the action sequences were really dull.

The only bright spot was Raquel Welch. She was lovely, as usual, but even in the infamous interracial love scene with Jim Brown there were moments when the camera went in and out of focus -- and I'm sure it wasn't for "artistic" reasons.

Even the otherwise charismatic Burt Reynolds was really under utilized here, which is indicative of the film overall.
½ January 27, 2008
Interracial Sex? First H.Wood movie to exploit it w/Gorgeous Raquel "Tejada" Welch & Big Jim "Dirty Dozen" Brown doing the deed as star-crossed lovers during the hellish times of the Mexican Revolution era, this movie has it all: Outstanding Music by genius Gerry Goldsmith so awesome it was nicked and used in another above-average western ("The Last Hard Men" w/Coburn, Heston, Rivero). Hans "Eric Braeden" Gudast and Fernando "Father of Lorenzo" Lamas turn in excellent villainous performances here, but the real heroes other than Goldsmith are the 2nd Unit, cinematographers and editors, who take max use of the beautiful panoramic vistas handed them and director Gries always shows interesting camera angles to tell the story. Tons of well-staged action ensues which shows the cruelty of the Mexican Revolutionary era without the Peckinpahish' realism. You will love the scenes regarding the Priestly dilemma with death. One of the few films of its genre that deals with the now exterminated Mexican Yaqui Indians, which are integral to the plotline. This historically accurate fiction yarn is pleasing on so many levels, yet deals with a heavy subject "lightly"...Enough good points to merit watching, and after all, it's got Rocky Welch in her prime (Hell, she still is lookin' pretty damn good these days, she ages quite well and stays in shape, probably on HGH...Just kidding!(Not! /;-)...Rugged all the way, between Burt Reynolds clowning and Brown's serious ex-10th Cavalry Pony-Soldier/Lawman persona, plus the incomparable face & awesome physique of warrior princess Rocky to drool over, you can't miss here: a definite testosterone man's type of flick, (unless you are offended by Interracial sex scenes, and this is very tame and sanitized, after all it was the first one shown in a big Hollywood production)...100 Rifles stands proudly in the "Badass MoFo" genre of hard ridin' western films, with memorable scenes, lines, visuals, and violent action. Grab a big tub of the 30 weight & salted popcorn and enjoy the ride!...
May 1, 2008
This is a good movie
½ December 1, 2008
This movie is noted for it's first-of-a-kind interacial sex scene between Raquel and Jim Brown.
January 13, 2008
i saw this movie as a kid, and as an adult i still loved it.
May 23, 2008
RAQUEL RAQUEL RAQUEL!!!
May 4, 2008
One of Raquel's best...
April 19, 2008
This is Reynolds finest film, a fantastic western.
April 8, 2008
Raquel Welch has the worst Spanish accent you will ever hear. Seriously, her hotness almost doesn't make up for it. Jim Brown is fun but it does drag a bit. Lots of Burt Reynolds being Burt Reynolds.
½ March 18, 2008
Jim Brown fucks Raquel Welsh
March 13, 2008
I love the trinity of Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, and Raquel Welch (NUTTY!) but the film drags a bit in the middle.
March 2, 2008
Loved it when I saw it in 1977. It was boring seeing it again in 2008.
December 29, 2007
fairly interesting setting, decent action and story. nothin too special, but entertaining and different enough.
December 1, 2007
This was my first english movie which I enjoyed in cinema hall for the first time.