Joan of Arc Reviews

November 15, 2014
Ingrid Bergman as Joan gives a strong performance in an otherwise, average film. A compelling story of Joan of Arc, made me understand Joan's motives more than I did before, but film is too long for what it had. Didn't hold my interest and could of done more justice to Joan than it did.
½ February 13, 2014
Captivating movie filled with drama. Inspirational, religiously enriching, heart wrenching throughout for the viewer already knows, from history. the ultimate outcome.
Emotionally draining. Five Stars! Mofak
½ November 15, 2013
Bergman's Joan is good but not great. I actually thought the earlier silent Passion of Joan of Arc was far more effective in helping us understand the range of emotions that Joan went through following her calling from God.
½ October 17, 2013
Far too short to do the story any justice but Bergman was magnificent and beautiful.
½ August 5, 2013
The story of Joan of Arc is never an easy story to tell as her fate is almost like common sense. What many people may be uncertain is the road to her tragedy. Unfortunately, Fleming didn't put much effort in that and would rather depict the trial in detail in an attempt to move viewers through the injustice she received. However, given her well-informed fate, the persecution doesn't make much sympathetic resonance but tiredness instead. The film would have been even more terrible without the gorgeous Ingrid Bergman.
October 16, 2011
Very theatrical film to be taken seriously and too disconnected to be kept in mind. Ingrid Bergman is pretty overacted as Joan of Arc and, unfortunately, the film hasn't aged well. I was waiting to watch something better and more inspiring, because the real Joan of Arc story is really inspiring.
October 17, 2010
A masterful film chronicling the life of St. Joan...with Ingrid illuminating the woman who has captured the hearts and souls of the French for centuries, and Victor Fleming at his best as director. Finally restored after being drastically altered in length, this version is how it was originally intended. A truly inspirational tale of a young woman, a desperate nation, and a faith that defied even the spectre of death.....too bad I cannot give it six stars.
September 22, 2010
Brilliant Film About A True Christian Saint.
½ November 19, 2009
**1/2 (out of four)

Disappointing and version of the story of Joan of Arc with Ingrid Bergman doing her best to own the role and only being somewaht successful.

The main problem may be that the film doesn't date very well. It doesn't seem like a timeless tale, but rather is caught up in 1940's over sentimentality.
February 20, 2009
it has been years since i have seen this movie I'm going to have to see it again because i believe it was a great movie
October 21, 2007
Great movie! it is such an inspirational movie!!!!
January 8, 2008
This is a great movie
March 5, 2007
nominated for best picture by NBR
March 16, 2007
My favorite version of St. Joan of Arc! Ingrid Bergman is perfect for the role!
½ September 22, 2006
I didn't like this film.
October 1, 2006
Classified as a classic = Interested.
July 21, 2007
it made me shed tears
½ June 29, 2007
Victor Fleming succeeds in the battle sequences but fail in the talking scenes where he made clowns of of the characters and made them appear like mere fools. The technical work was very good specially the cinematography. But for my surprise Ingrid Bergman's performance wasn't as high as expectations. And come on Joan of Arc's dialogue must be one of the silliest most stupid ones i've ever heard. Even religious people will get bored from listening over and over again to the word God.
April 19, 2007
A very good movie.Ingrid B. was Joan and she did a great job.
January 9, 2007
Another 'golden era' surprise - Ingrid Bergman in the role of Joan of Arc? Too bad it didn't get the best reviews...