King Kong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kong Reviews

May 5, 2016
The classic adventure film that set the bar for all films that followed.keep Kong alive!
Antonius Block
½ March 31, 2016
There are several things that could be ridiculed about this movie - the stop-motion special effects of course, though they were state of the art for their day, the stereotypical natives (and Chinese cook), and besides all that, Fay Wray's goofy reaction when she's told by a sailor he loves her (my goodness on the acting, take a look at it someday).

There are also definite racial overtones to the movie. It's as if Kong is just a giant version of one of the 'black savages' on the island. He has a forbidden love for a white woman. Captured, he is taken back to America, where he'll make the white men rich, so long as he is in chains. Set loose, he rampages through New York violently. Clearly, he would have been better off left back in the jungle where he belongs.

However, forgiving the movie a bit, it's still quite compelling because of its action sequences. Cooper and Schoedsack tell a taut story with the right blend of build-up and action, and make the island far more interesting by having it full of dangers besides Kong himself. The pursuers are attacked by a stegosaurus (which they somewhat comically shoot the hell out of), and later a sauropod in the sea, which overturns their raft and chomps a couple of them (apparently the filmmakers were unaware of these dinosaurs being herbivores). Kong himself has to battle a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a giant snake (which fantastically wraps around his neck), and a pterodactyl trying to make off with Fay Wray. Who can forget him killing the T-Rex by bending its jaw and neck back until their broken? Or turning the log bridge around to shake men off, sending them plummeting to their death? Or reaching his paw down into the cave, trying to catch a guy who has made his way down there? (the guy, by the way, has to cut a rope to save himself from a lizard creeping up from below at the same time).

There is plenty of violence that must have been shocking in its day. Kong literally stomps on natives and crushes a few people in his mouth. He also drops a woman out of a skyscraper after determining she's not Fay Wray and discards her. As for some sex to go with that violence, Fay Wray provides it with a braless scene on the boat, her legs wriggling after Kong has partially undressed her, and a split-second wardrobe malfunction after she plummets into the water while escaping him. I'm not sure I buy the Empire State Building being a giant phallic symbol though.

This is a movie that stands the test of time, despite how dated the effects are. They have campy appeal, and are still somehow cool. We feel Kong's pain as he's chained, and empathize with him as the airplanes swoop in at the end. This is a beauty and the beast type film, but I don't think it was beauty that truly killed the beast, as the movie's last line states, I think it was all those guys with their guns and greed.
July 6, 2015
The is a monster movie classic. It is a most see. See all the sequels and remakes. This is the most of the King Kong movie. And there are all great movies. This movie is very scary. It is a classic
March 7, 2016
The best of all the King Kong movies. All these years later, this still holds up as high caliber and still entertaining movie.
February 13, 2016
Tremendous movie and a true classic of the cinema.
½ January 20, 2016
Big ape, little disappointments.

I can forgive the dated graphics, but I can't forgive the mediocre dialogue, the overuse of stock screams, the mediocre acting, or the ignorance of basic dinosaur knowledge (namely, the preferred diet of the Brontosaurus). Also, is Ann Darrow the most useless character to ever grace the screen? Does she do anything other than faint and scream? While it isn't completely unenjoyable, it has nothing special going for it either.
July 3, 2015
The one, the only, the best, ageless perfection.made in 1932. Simply great.
December 31, 2015
A Masterpiece that's a treasure and a true wonder to the world
December 7, 2015
A terrific masterpiece of cinema, one of the best giant monster movies ever !! The special effects by Willis O Brien are, for today's standards, pretty cluncky, but back then it must have been amazingly good. The film actors are all very good and likeable and the movie itself is very intrestesting and entertaining. Recommended !!
Steve Grady
½ November 16, 2015
"King Kong" is an very entertaining action and adventure film. "King Kong" has pretty good acting mostly from "Fay Wray", "Robert Armstrong" and "Frank Reicher". "King Kong" has some of cinema's best thrilling music of all time. Finally "King Kong" does not have the best special effects, but the special effects of this movie are still okay to today's standards. "King Kong" will always remain a classic action/adventure film. And I will recommend this to anyone who likes classics. I give "King Kong" a 8.5/10.
October 9, 2015
Let me just say... there is a reason this is a classic. I love this film.
½ February 22, 2012
The special effects of King Kong run the risk of seeming quaint today, but under the film's sensationalist exterior beats the heart of a true pioneer.
September 18, 2015
This is by far my favorite film of all time. Truly amazing special effects, great sets, and wonderful acting.
August 9, 2015
It's f*cking awesome 30's movie!
½ August 5, 2015
I don't like to say this about movies but I think this movie is very overrated. However, there are some things I like about this movie such as: the scenes in New York, Kong fighting monsters, the log scene and the amazing stop motion effects, so it gets a positive review and rating from me.
July 26, 2015
This is a very early meta-film, meaning it is a film about film. I feel like this is what gets it a lot of attention - aside from the groundbreaking special effects that won audiences over back in the day. The theme of Carl Denham's film within the film is about Beauty and the Beast, which happens to be the theme of King Kong itself.

Carl Denham is portrayed as a man who stops at nothing in order to get his shots right, a very devoted director. He comes across as hot- headed and funnier than Jack Black's portrayal in Jackson's version. His character progression reaches its climax with the delivery of the line "we've got something worth more than all the movies in the world!" Brilliant writing in my opinion.

This may seem strange, but what turns me off from this movie a bit is specifically what it is known for - its special effects. I know its effects were groundbreaking for the time the film was released, but I still found them to be distracting, or not very well done. While it is cool that this film portrays giant monsters fighting - a great deal of spectacle - the stop-motion effects take away a lot from whatever reality is portrayed in the film.

It also bothers me how this movie is heavily focused on the Beauty and the Beast theme, but there seems to be no sympathy for Kong once "beauty killed the beast." So where is there a progression? Character-wise or Kong-wise? Denham realizes that beauty killed the beast, but he does not seem changed at all by this observation. As for Kong, we see him go on a rampage and take the leading lady up to the top of the Empire State Building, but we don't really identify with him at all. While Jackson's version may be too long, at least it portrays a connection between beauty and the beast, and we actually see a motivation for what Kong's actions are.

This is still a good movie, but I am not sure whether it should hold such a high spot on American Film Institute's 100 list. It is groundbreaking, yes, but I don't find the effects to be compelling and I don't really identify with any characters in this film.
July 15, 2015
Good Movie Good Classic My All Time Favorite Classic
½ July 14, 2015
Carl Denham: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, before I tell you any more, I'm going to show you the greatest thing your eyes have ever beheld. He was a king and a god in the world he knew, but now he comes to civilization merely a captive - a show to gratify your curiosity. Ladies and gentlemen, look at Kong, the Eighth Wonder of the World".

King Kong was a true cinema classic that inspired and amazed film lovers out there. The effect's in the movie may be dated to some and I do admit they have aged, but I got to say it's better damn impressive even around the 30's the stop motion animation looks pretty good in some scenes as this movie is 82 years old as I speck.

The movie dose have flaws but the flaws are nothing really big to ruin or stain the movie experience. Like my flaws with the movie is that sometimes I can see some little mistakes with the effect's and yes I know they were just starting on the effect's at the time and it was a good start, but I did notice at little mistakes that a lot of people can easily notice and it was a bit laughable. But all that aside what else can I say that's already been said about this movie go check it out, it's a great movie.
May 19, 2014
One of the greatest films ever made.