The Lady Vanishes Reviews

October 8, 2015
The Lady Vanishes is both suspenseful and comedic. The film has a liveliness to it that is refreshing. The first act is a bit weak and then the plot picks up. Also the sound is often poor, it is particularly difficult to make out the dialogue in some places (though I wonder if it was not done intentionally to create a sense of bewilderment). At any rate, if you have enjoyed Hitchcock's other films then you will likely enjoy The Lady Vanishes as well.
½ August 10, 2015
The master of suspense had to start somewhere and although it would be some of his later work, that would be heralded as his best, the building blocks for his entire career are all in The Lady Vanishes. The plot starts of as simple, After being held up in the Balkans for the night, due to an impractical avalanche, a group of passengers eventually board a train, bound for England. Among these passengers is Iris and an older woman called Miss Froy, bonding after Iris has encountered a head injury, Iris soon falls asleep. However when Iris comes to, Miss Froy has vanished from the train and nobody seems to believe she was even there at all. You know for its time, The Lady Vanishes does a whole host of things right, one of the most stand out is without a doubt having extremely stand out characters. In a wonderfully crafted opening, Hitchcock introduces you to the passengers as they stay the night, you get a sense of who they are, where they are going and everyone actually feels unique and extremely human. Also the films script is littered with charm and whit, meaning that this so called serious affair, actually has time to inject some light hearted and well crafted moments. The script is cookie enough, with the right dose of suspense, however for me, the plot spirals way out of control. Maybe it all has something to do with its pacing, it plods along for a huge duration of the movie, back and forth, back and forth, then back again and you never really feel that the film is going anywhere, the film is for lack of a better word slow and not in a good way. Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave both give tremendous leading performances as the 2 would be detectives, however it takes until the half way mark to really find its footing and get going. I understand that building character, mystery and suspense is what Hitchcock is known for and here although he does manage to create a sense of intrigue, there doesnt ever feel like a sense of urgency is really implicated until the final act, which is handled in quite a slap stick and ham fisted way. Hitchcock still makes a better film than most people, so to say The Lady Vanishes isnt that good would be a massive lie, its chalk full of character, it can be intriguing and at points the mystery is of course confounding. But with a pacing that stumbles until the half way mark and a conclusion that is extremely over blown, or at least handled in such a way, its hard to truly fall in love with this film. It has so much to offer from brilliant cinematography, wonderful characters, stunning model work and a wealth of tightly crafted dialogue, but none of that really saves it from being reasonably mediocre. It's a nice installment to his roster and I am intrigued to watch the more modern day remake to see how it handles the subject matter, but I can only really recommend this for either Hitchcock purists or period drama purists. For anyone else it may come across as quirky with a limp.
½ August 15, 2008
A Hitchcock classic in every sense of the word, this one about a sweet old woman (the wonderful Dame May Whitty) who goes missing on a train traveling from London to the Swiss Alps. The only person who has any memory of her is the lovely Margaret Lockwood, everyone else, including a charming and excellent Michael Redgrave as a traveling music student, can't recall ever seeing her at all. Hitchcock was still building his rep as the Master of Suspense with this delightful cocktail of mirth and menace. Lots and lots of cheap DVD copies of this classic exist, but the real beauty comes from Criterion, who do the master proud in terms of restoring image and sound. It's a beauty.
July 30, 2015
I know my opinion goes against the general grain of Film Theory, but this comic thriller just doesn't hold up to it's reputation. It is not without merit. It is entertaining in the way "old" movies often are - very dated, antiquated and passively amusing. It's a good movie. It's just not that good.

I would hate to use this movie to introduce a viewer to the art of Alfred Hitchcock.
½ July 26, 2015
An intriguing story, an amusing cast, and a superb direction by Alfred Hitchcock, The Lady Vanishes is a memorable classic thriller and a perfect mix of humor and suspense!
½ June 9, 2015
Fun, stylish (for the time), and entertaining thriller/mystery. While the twists certainly are inventive for such an early film, it plays a bit too clean cut and innocent for a Hitchcock film. You can tell that the great auteur and visionary had yet to find his groove as a storyteller, and yet he still manages to produce here a film that can stand head and shoulders above many movies given 99 minutes to work worth that are created these days. If you're a film nut or an amateur Hitchcock historian, it's a virtual must see. As a stand alone film though, you won't be persecuted if you decide to pass on this one.
June 8, 2015
Right now, Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese are the masters of cinema. Back in the day, I'd say Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock were the masters of cinema. Admittedly, I've not seen any of Hitchcock's films, which is shameful as I am a lover of cinema. Well, now that's been remedied; I saw one. "The Lady Vanishes" is directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It stars Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lucas, and Dame May Whitty.

The film takes place in , where two Englishmen are on their way back home. Also on her way home is a young women (Lockwood), who intends to marry her suitor when she arrives. On the night before the trip, she meets a young man and an elderly women named Mrs. Froyd. Whilst on the train the following day, her elderly companion disappears, and no one acknowledges she ever existed.

While the plot is quite simple, this was a very good film. Hitchcock does a brilliant job directing this little film. What I found most impressive were the miniatures and set pieces. I think back to a film last year. The Grand Budapest Hotel-directed by Wes Anderson-is similar to this classic in some respects. I can definitely see where Anderson possibly got some inspiration. The wonderful sets, costumes, and beautiful black and white cinematography make this a superb movie. Also, the script was delightful! It's full of fantastic dialogue and witty humor.
March 25, 2015
Really, no complaints. Great balance of comedy and action. For a 1930s film, the set is absolutely spectacular and as the film went on I found myself more and more impressed. This is a classic AH film for a reason!
½ April 28, 2012
In his best comedy, Hitchcock demonstrates that the line between humour and horror is very thin and that he can manipulate an audience in both directions in rapid succession with ease.
March 7, 2015
Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. An early hidden gem for Hitchcock fans.
January 29, 2015
The Lady Vanishes is an excellent. It is about a rich young playgirl realizes that an elderly lady seems to have disappeared from the train while traveling in continental Europe. Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Alfred Hitchcock did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the mystery. The Lady Vanishes is a must see.
½ January 20, 2015
Absolutamente genial , entre suspense y comedia y unos dialogos inteligentes y divertidos para muestra ino de ellos : Posee Ud 2 grandes cualidades que yo admiraba de mi padre, no tiene ni la màs mìnima educaciòn y siempre està distraida cuando le hablo.
August 20, 2009
Great movie, one of the best directed by Hitchcock. Magnificent script and direction!
January 11, 2015
Well that cured my appetite for an old movie. A good Hitchcock movie of old fashioned intrigue.
½ January 9, 2015
The opening scenes set in an alpine hotel are like the lines on an old man's face. They really do highlight how old this film is. Not to say that they are bad, they are just of a time long gone. But once this gets going it's as thrilling as any well made modern production of the past twenty-five or so years. As like most Hitchcock movies the female lead character is painfully pretty; but the tone here is a touch lighter than most, which if anything works better than it it had overly serious one. The exciting and well handled shoot-out action towards the end is not something you get too often in movies of this age; and really if it's a classic entertaining mystery flick you're after then this is pretty much a perfect target.
December 21, 2014
Probably the best of Hitchcock's earlier works. Highly entertaining, fun, good old fashion mystery. An almost perfect cast and great story, with just a little amount of humour. A classic not to be missed.
December 20, 2014
'The Lady Vanishes' dares to unsettle the viewers as much as enamor them in a romanticized and humorous take on the classic thriller. Director Alfred Hitchcock's skill in captivating audiences makes itself evident in this film from the opening scene, a swoop down from the clouds into a humble, miniature village. The two leads, played by Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave, give authentic performances and are delicate in their approach. The genuine emotion displayed by all of the actors and fair exposition that their characters receive make it impossible to not invest fully into the action at all times. Pacing, perhaps the most make-or-break quality in the thriller genre, is executed to perfection. Hitchcock masterfully shifts the tone between comfortable and eerily claustrophobic thanks to the editing, framing, and set design. Beneath the surface and aside the jokes, 'The Lady Vanishes' still provides an interesting analysis on honesty and trust. Exploration of these themes complements the social commentary towards pre-WWII Europe in an imaginative way. 'The Lady Vanishes' has aged extremely well, and keeps the audience charmed by the humor and beguiled by intrigue.
½ October 28, 2014
The Lady Vanishes is a classic suspense movie. This film is a bit ridiculous in parts, but the story is compelling. It preys on some very common fears. I consider this a "tier 2" Hitchcock film, alongside the likes of Rope and Lifeboat. It's definitely worth a watch.
October 23, 2014
Double Thumbs Up
Viewed this on 22/10/14
The Lady Vanishes is one of the most unusual and surprising films of Hitchcock that I have ever seen. It looks like after Psyco(1960), Strangers on a Train(1951) and Rope(1948), I have finally liked a Hitchcock film that I could call it one of my favourites. This film is really unique and it has a lots of plot twists, comedy, action, thrills and a huge amount of mystery. The film leaves a hefty view on how the films were made during those times, for example the opening scene itself, showing a miniature town model which is set up to shoot on as a real town and the effects that are used then to make it mobile one.