Laura Reviews

October 26, 2014
Laura is the film that has everything that you can look for in a film noir, intrigue, a tortuous plot, a bad mannered cop but clever at the same time, a precious lady called "dame" by the cop, and some exquisite dialogues especially when Mr. Waldo Lydecker is involved.
½ March 21, 2015
a very good mystery noir with an interesting plot great actors and Gene Tierney a very pretty and talented actress.
June 25, 2008
On my short list of greatest film noirs with a twist, the leads (Andrews and Tierney) make this crazy love story work. Have you ever fallen in love with someone based on a painted picture? Probably not, but you'll be hard pressed not fall in love with Gene Tierney viewing this picture.
November 13, 2011
- Just watched on blu-ray and it looked outstanding. I have now seen the film several times and enjoy it each time just as much. It's funny, clever, and moves along nicely. Great cinematography which won an Oscar. This is a MUST for film lovers!

- Such a great film! I recommend everyone see this. Vincent Price is great in it, actually the whole film is superb. The DVD has the Biography episode on Price as well which I watched.
½ February 4, 2015
An eccentric film noir which I didn't quite get. Definitely off-beat, though, and love that tune.
January 4, 2015
timeless classic, greatly well written and directed
½ May 19, 2014
The men here are all flawed and only Laura flourishes.
November 28, 2014
One of my favorite movies of all time. There is something fascinating about a plot that involves a detective investigating a murder and falling in love with the victim. Dana Andrews is introduced as a no-nonsense detective just doing his job, but he turns out to be a psychologically fascinating person, using his insights about people and a handheld game to put suspects on edge to hep him solve the crime, It is when he realizes that he has fallen in love with the victim and nearly has a break down trying to deal with it that Andrews performance truly becomes extraordinary.

Gene Tierney as the murder victim Laura seen in a painting in her apartment and in flashbacks convincingly demonstrates why everyone who knew who came to love or envy her. The terrific cast of supporting actors including Clifton Webb and Vincent Price are incredible, helping to keep the mystery of who shot Laura suspenseful, complex and confusing.

The film is a masterful example of film noir lighting and use of shadow. The music is, of course, on of the loveliest pieces ever composed. Laura is truly a masterpiece.
½ November 10, 2014
Polished Film Noir that hits all the right notes despite the absurd plot twists!
October 4, 2014
Fake death of a woman while another is killed and who is the real murderer; "Laura" is an early American version of "The Third Man" but not much suspenseful as the last.
½ August 24, 2014
A good movie, but why oh why does anyone place a portrait of themselves over their fireplace???? WHY?
July 29, 2014
The film centers on a murder mystery, a brutal murder of a young woman named Laura. A police detective is tasked with finding out the killer and interviews all the people in her life and soon finds himself falling in love with her. This is another one of those major films which I haven't gotten around to seeing. So many films, so little time! I finally got the chance to see it and I'm kind of glad I managed to stay away from spoilers because the third act is a twisty doozy and the last 10 minutes was a real nail-biter. The moody cinematography helps along with the great cast which includes Vincent Price in the most "normal", least creepy role I've ever seen him in. This is truly one of the best film noirs out there.
½ May 26, 2010
(First and only viewing - 5/31/2010)
½ July 8, 2014
It's a little dated, but it's fun watching people in the 40's trying to figure out a murder. I could look at Gene Tierney all day though.
June 30, 2014
MUCHO SUSPENSO OTRA BUENA PELICULA DE PREMINGER
½ March 5, 2007
I read The Maltese Falcon, Laura, and The Big Sleep, three books that led to film-noir classics, before watching the films. The conceit of the book, having the three men in Laura's life each tell a section of the story, is lost in the medium of film. The plot in the film is, of course, streamlined for the hour and a half run time. Laura (Gene Tierney) isn't such a deep character. Detective McPherson (Dana Andrews) is one of the least hard-boiled detectives in film-noir. Vincent Price has his least hammy role in the character of Shelby. Clifton Webb, as gossip columnist Waldo Lydecker, doesn't fit the physical description of the character in the book, but he emotes the right attitude throughout. Because the story takes place in high-society in brightly lit high-class locations it never really felt like a film-noir to me. It saves the darker psychological motivations of the murderer for the end, and, yet, the film is not shot or edited to capitalize on the thrills in the best manner.
½ April 30, 2009
A detective investigates the murder of the beautiful titular character of Laura Hunt. While investigating the suspects, he slowly begins to fall in love with the idea of this dead woman, and it slowly sucks him in. Much like the plot, the back stories and suspect interrogations slowly engross the viewer, until the fateful suspense dripping climax. This is definitely one of the better noir films.
April 19, 2014
"I shall never forget the weekend Laura died. "

When watching TCM's The Essentials, I never know what to expect. I've seen classic films that are either worth the acclaim or those I believe to be overrated garbage. So when I found out about this murder mystery titled Laura, one that I had never heard of until this year, I had no idea how it would turn out, especially when hearing the difficulties the film had behind the scenes, such as changes in direction, casting, and its ending. I was unfamiliar with the work of director Otto Preminger, but after hearing that his films challenged the Hay's Code, it sounds like he was a pretty good filmmaker in his day. As for Laura, what could have been a cheesy, forgettable B-Movie ended up being a well-made film noir, and one that I would call an essential.

From the opening quote, it is established that the well-respected Laura Hunt (Gene Tierney) has been murdered. With that set up, an investigation is called out, led upon by detective Mark McPherson (Dan Andrews). Off the bat, the case has quite a few suspects, such as columnist/mentor Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb), Laura's suspicious fiancée Shelby Carpenter (Vincent Price), the wealthy Ann Treadwell (Judith Anderson), and Laura's hysterical maid Bessie (Dorothy Adams). But the more Mark gets into the case, the more complex the issue is, and obsession starts to play in, and then... if I told you, then it wouldn't be a mystery.

Robert Osborne, TCM host and film historian that I deeply respect, stated on his show The Essentials that Laura is in his list of the Top 10 films of all-time, revealing that it's the heavy suspense and twists that always draws him in every time. And I admit, there's some very strong uses of plot twists scattered throughout the movie. But the film's weakness to me is the fact that, for me at least, figuring out who the murderer is is quite predictable, and I felt it weakened some of the twists, cause I was able to figure it out in the first 10 seconds of the picture when I first saw the actor's face. However, it doesn't mean that I was disappointed in the film. No, in reality, for a film that I had only heard of in a small amount of time, I was actually impressed with how well-made the film was.

What makes the film work for me are its acting performances. I knew that both Vincent Price and Judith Anderson were great performers, and while both aren't really the highlights of the movie, their appearances were still enjoyable to watch. Gene Tierney, an actress I had never heard of until watching this movie, is great in the role of Laura, considering she didn't have that much screen time, as her character gets murdered. But what I saw really impressed me, and I'm surprised I had never heard of her until now. Dana Andrews impressed in his role as the detective. But the true standout is Clifton Webb as the mentor. An old man obsessing over an attractive young woman is something very complex to discuss in a movie, and Webb does it brilliantly. He has the most memorable dialogue, and I strongly believe that if Webb was not involved in the film, the film wouldn't have been that engaging. Nuff said.

Considering how the film was only intended to be a B-Movie, the film could have been a whole lot worse. With filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock arriving on the scene, Laura could have been a very cheap imitation of what Hitch did best. But with some compelling cinematography, David Raskin's haunting score, and some enjoyable twists along the way, Laura, while nowhere as strong as other film noirs, such as Sunset Boulevard or The Bad and the Beautiful, is still a film I would consider an essential. Plus the ending is flat-out brilliant. Otto Preminger, I think you have gained another young movie fan.

"Goodbye, Laura. Goodbye... my Love."
½ March 7, 2014
Great old-fashioned murder-mystery. Not at all predictable or even linear in its approach. There are twists galore, but not to the extent that they seem gratuitous. You are kept guessing until the end.

Otto Preminger is at his directing best here: building the suspense, keeping the story flowing, all while developing characters.

Good performances by Gene Tierney as the potential murder victim and Dana Andrews as the cool, aloof detective. Clifton Webb got the only acting Oscar nomination in the cast, but I thought he was weaker than Tierney or Andrews. Maybe it is just that I found the character he played quite irritating.

Only negative is that the relationship between Laura and Waldo Lydecker just doesn't seem to make sense entirely. That may be down to the social mores of the time, more than anything else.