The Little Drummer Boy Reviews

½ December 14, 2010
Even if you're not into all that Jesus malarkey, you have to at least respect the story for giving us such a wonderful time of year. The Little Drummer Boy focuses on a boy filled with hate, and a man filled with greed. Their stories intertwine until they eventually cross paths with the song of God. Loved the songs and the animation has that old-fashioned quality that just doesn't date. The voice-work varied, sometimes being annoyingly slimy. It's a sweet tale that captures the meaning of Christmas, without ramming the religious aspects down the viewers throat. This should be an enjoyable watch for all.
September 28, 2011
Though it won't be recognized as much as the others, it is my favorite of all Rankin Bass specials. Not only does it have a strong biblical message that does not give any room for pop culture, there is a lot of honest emotion in it that you don't get in other Christmas films.
December 24, 2013
It was a very enjoyable, very beautiful and very special stop-motion animated Christmas special classic. It had very great animation, really fun songs, really great characters, really great narration, very great voice cast, great adventure, really great visuals, and a great story. It's one of the best Rankin/Bass animated specials of the 60s. I will recommend this movie to animation lovers of all ages.
½ December 11, 2012
The Little Drummer Boy has been one of my favorite of the animated Christmas movies since I was a little kid. I love the story and music, but just wish that the movie is a little longer and more fleshed out in some parts. That would be my only complaint (and it isn't much) in an otherwise enjoyable and near-perfect animated movie.
December 21, 2014
i just watched this and i was surprised, it is very touching (especially the ending) and i'd say is worth the watch even if one is atheist.
September 28, 2011
December 28, 2010
Rankin/Bass stop motion films rules!
December 19, 2010
Best of the clamation Christmas shows.
December 24, 2009
Ever since I was little I've had this weird obsession with the Nativity. It all stems from a really awesome porcelain Nativity scene that my mother had that she would display each Christmas season. I can still remember sitting there for long periods of time just staring at this thing. At the moment I own ten Nativity scenes, though none of them compare to the one from my youth. And when it comes to films, I've seen a handful of them that dealt with the Nativity but none that stack up to Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass' The Little Drummer Boy.

The Little Drummer Boy isn't particularly the best looking of all the Rankin and Bass stop motion shorts. The character designs aren't as well detailed as most of their films, and the film's animation is a bit rough. Many times the characters don't seem to move smoothly, and the majority of the background characters move in limited and very stiff fashions that can get distracting at times.

But I enjoy this film a lot, mainly because I like the way it handles the character of Aaron (voice of Teddy Eccles), an orphaned drummer boy who holds a grudge against mankind after a couple of bandits killed his parents and destroyed his home. His path is crossed with that of the three Wise-Men on their way to Bethlehem, where he learns a lesson about love and the true good that humanity can bring.

The movie ends with the Vienna Boys' Choir version of "The Little Drummer Boy," which for some reason gives me chills each time I hear it. There isn't much to this film, but it manages to get me a little misty eyed towards the end each time I watch it. Again, not one of the best of the Rankin and Bass films, but certainly one I have to view each Christmas season.
December 7, 2009
This stop-motion animation Christmas tale is bereft of the charm that Rankin and Bass often had flowing from off the screen. This is partly due to the more serious nature of the story and lack of light-heartedness that made movies like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" so enjoyable for all ages.
January 16, 2006
'The Little Drummer Boy' is the 1968 classic claymation about a little boy who travels with his pet lamb, donkey and camel. His greatest gift is his drum, which was given to him by his parents before they were murdered, and the little boy has a lot of anger that he has to learn to conquer, and he witnesses a magical event. This is a classic and touching Christmas story that I like to watch every Christmas. It's narrated well, and although the technique is a little bit dated, I still think this film stands the test of time. It's got a nice little, moral story, and it is true to life: bad things happen to good people, but we must smile and get through life the best we can and learn to forgive.

The sequel to 'The Little Drummer Boy' follows Aaron (the drummer boy) with the wise men on a quest to rejoice the birth of Jesus. This time, they are against Roman thieves who make their lives difficult and who end up capturing Aaron and his animals. Although it is a pretty good follow-up to 'The Little Drummer Boy', it lacks the same originality and lessons that the original film has. (This one follows the origins of the song 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day'.) I would rate this as a 5/10 as it does go a little bit slow in places, and it seems to lose the plot, but it is still quite good.

Try and catch both of these films next Christmas.