64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Little Shop of Horrors Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 8, 2007
I like this movie, its just very entertaining, the music numbers are superb and i love the plant 'Feed Me' its just great a silly fun, amusing movie thats entertaining and worth the watch!
blkbomb
blkbomb

December 4, 2011
Audrey II: Does this look "inanimate" to you, punk? If I can move and I can talk, who's to say I can't do anything I want?

"A Singing Plant. A Daring Hero. A Sweet Girl. A Demented Dentist."

Little Shop of Horrors isn't a horrible musical by any means. It is just an extremely annoying one. I found all the songs to be annoying that weren't sung by the trio of girls who followed the events of the story around. Ellen Greene's voice irritated the shit out of me. She talks in a raspy, soft spoken way that just makes you want to kill yourself. Then when she sings, good Lord when she sings. Rick Moranis's singing tunes are just as bad. He plays his usual character and that character just doesn't translate well to singing.

A flower shop in the ghetto isn't doing very well. No one comes in and the owner is looking at shutting the place down. This is when Seymour shows his new plant and puts it in the window to attract new customers. It works and the business begins to thrive and Seymour becomes an overnight success. Soon he figures out that in order for the plant to grow and not die, it needs human blood. For a while, he is able to feed it with drips from his fingers, but eventually the plant grows to big for that to do any good.

My favorite thing about this movie are the cameos. There are great cameos from Steve Martin as a sadistic dentist and also from Bill Murray as a pain loving patient of that dentist. Also the songs from the three women who follow the events around are awesome. I wish I could have sold after the initial credits because that was awesome.

The movie is just too dull and actually quite boring. Songs can only go so far, there has to be characters and a plot that can support those songs and in Little Shop of Horrors, the characters cannot. I guess it is still worth one watch for Steve Martin' scenes alone.
Graham J

November 20, 2011
The best parts of this imaginative remake of the strange little Roger Corman film are the hilarious performances of Steve Martin and Bill Murray.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS was a very, very quirky musical, but it was contrarily very, very funny. I love Rick Moranis's humor (see my review of SPACEBALLS, if you need further explanation), and this is truly a classic. I love the fact that the plant (Audrey II) can talk--and it can talk dirty, which was a huge, hysterical surprise for me. The music in this movie wasn't all that great (or at least I thought so), and it was, in fact, more corny than anything, but as a comedy, I rarely stopped laughing. Had I been eating popcorn while watching this, I would have choked to death.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 24, 2011
One of my favourites from childhood I can not only sing every song but recite every line. Audrey II has played a great role in my life with many cacti and snapping plants bearing his name. Deranged, hilarious, fearful and timeless the poster has hung on my wall for years and will stay there forever.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 27, 2007
When I saw this as a kid I had a big crush on Ellen Greene, and that was long before I even knew what a "crush" was. Now in my adult years, I still think she's pretty hot, despite the mousy voice and less-than-attractive hairdo. Anyhow, apart from her and the big singing monster plant, I didn't really remember much of the movie as a whole; which is why I felt the urge to see it again. On any given day, musicals is not something I'm in a rush to watch, but this has such a infectious energy about it, that it's impossible not to like and be enchanted by. Catchy songs, amazing cast and a movie that gets you in a really good mood. Looks like Ellen Greene will be in my dreams once again tonight.
Jacob E

April 27, 2011
This is a great film musical on its own merits, but in comparison to the source material, it pales considerably (mainly the altered ending is just STUPID). But no matter how you flip the coin, you can't deny the greatness here. I mean, a singing killer plant? A sadistic dentist played by Steve Martin? What is there NOT to love? The effects for realizing the killer plant, Audrey 2, hold up remarkably well and still look cool. But what solidifies Audrey 2's presence in the film is the voice of Levi Stubbs who does a perfect job. If it wasn't for the ending, I would give this 5 stars, but as it stands, I have to give it 4.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
If you loved the original, you'll be glad to hear that this remake is different in one big way: it's a musical! This movie is hilarious and has a fantastic cast, I highly recommend it.
erika250
erika250

May 27, 2010
too werid
Jay H

November 28, 2010
It has quite a few moments of rather exceptional comedy, but much of the film is just plain annoying.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
It's an entire musical about a man eating flower, a dentist is maniacal, and three doo-whopping singers in the background. To say this is a masterpiece doesn't do it justice.
michael e.
michael e.

October 27, 2010
a fantastic musical in every sense of the word. Levi Stubbs does a spectacular job as the plant Audrey II and the plant itself has a great personality, personally i think that Audrey II is the devil or a demon because of how he seduces Rick Moranis character with fame, money, girls (particularly Audrey whom He loves) but only if he kills people and feeds them to the plant. Its just a ingenious plot, not to mention the songs in the film are spectacular to listen to too. The Plant in my mind is the best animatronics ive ever seen mainly because it doesn't move stiffly like in some movies with the animatronics it truly moves like a living being and it looks like an organic creature not like an actual puppet or animatronic. By far the best song in the whole film is "Feed Me (Git It)" mainly because 1. Levi stubbs was originally a singer so it seems only fitting he would do his own singing,2. he has a spectacular voice for this plant,3. it talks about what the plant wants and it shows how delightful the plant is to watch. If they ever remake this movie again and the plant is CG i will go up to hollywood smack the director and the person who thought that was a good idea across the face with a hammer and say "NOBODY CAN TOP LEVI STUBBS AS AUDREY II NOT YOU OR YOUR FREAKING CGI"
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

August 30, 2010
Oh, Rick Moranis... what has happened to your career? You were so good!! Still a horror film made into a musical. With Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, it HAS to be gold. And with Steve Martin and Bill Murray as the new Jack Nicholson, priceless. And the constant back up singers were always good for a subtle crack. :D
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Could've been better. So much better. Full review later.
Dan S

October 25, 2009
Utterly hilarious, an extremely well set-up comedy that features a wimpy Rick Moranis at the top his game. Steve Martin's comedic cameo as a sadistic, tooth-twisting dentist brings this movie to life. Definitely a comedy I'd love to see again.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
A Singing Plant. A Daring Hero. A Sweet Girl. A Demented Dentist.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
this film has had to grow on me, but i still find it a bit lifeless. solid cast and interesting story makes this at least very entertaining.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
A fantastic musical and a childhood favourite with a great cast and good old Frank Oz at the helm!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I don't like many musical movies, but I do like "Little Shop of Horrors" a lot. While I was growing up as a kid, it was always one of my favorite movies, and it still is. I remember back in the day when just about everybody I knew had this movie.
It's a classic tale of a plant that fell from outer space that ends up in the hands of a man (Rick Moranis) that works for a struggling flower shop. The plant (Audrey II) isn't like most other plants because it has to have blood in order to live, particularly that of humans. Rick Moranis must find a way to manage the plant once it gets almost as big as the shop itself.

There are a lot more good things to say about "Little Shop of Horrors." The plant has good effects, the acting is superb, and parts of the movie are hilarious. Not to mention that Steve Martin and Bill Murray make hilarious camio appearances to make the movie even better. This is one movie I recommend anybody to get, it's a classic to say the least. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I lied. I like a lot of musicals...at least Disney ones, havent' seen a whole lot of live action ones, but all my friends growing up owned this movie and I was always envious, the plant's awesome.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
I watched this a lot growing up and it still holds up today. Good music and a big cast of guest stars from movies that made up a lot of what I watched as a kid made this a good time.