97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

The Longest Yard Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 13, 2013
An inmate forms a football team to compete against the prison guards' team.
Almost all sports film invariably devolve into cliches. There's something elemental about sports that creates an inherent conflict that can carry a film. The good sports films are good because of their variations -- 61*'s portrayal of Maris's innate strength of character, Sugar's focus on the unheard of players, and A League of Their Own's hot women (jk). The fact that this film is set in a prison is supposed to be its interesting variation, but I don't find the prison setting to be particularly compelling or to be used in a profound way. Its attempt at a variation is also Burt Reynolds's character, Paul Crewe. Crewe is a wise-cracking, devil-may-care kind of guy, and Reynolds made a career playing parts like this. He does it well, handsome, charming, and witty.
Overall, The Longest Yard's attempts at breaking sports films' cliches aren't bad, but the film doesn't amount to anything extraordinary.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 3, 2011
Decent enough sports film, The Longest Yard for me, has been s tad overhyped and its reputation slightly killed the tone of the film for me. The film is far better than the remake of course and it should be seen as one of the best sports films, but it's not one of my personal favorites. The acting is good, and the story is well constructed, but overall, I thought it was a decent film. However this film wasn't my cup of tea. The film boasts a good cast of talented actors, and this was made back in the day when Burt Reynolds was still able to make good films. The Longest Yard is an entertaining film. This film is not a film that has a comedic vibe like the remake, and that's what I like about it. Though I view this film as decent, I found good enough to be entertaining, and I did enjoy it. But the fact is, is that I felt that the film a bit too hyped up. I'm not saying that the film bad, but I'm just saying I expected something much better than this. Overall a decent sports drama with a good cast. The Longest Yard is one of those films that can easily disappoint a viewer because it has been hyped up too much. However despite this, The Longest Yard is an entertaining film that is memorable, and is a necessary viewing for sports fans. I enjoyed the film, but not as much as I'd might have if it wasn't for the hype. For me the hype killed the film. A worthwhile film to watch and an entertaining film despite the fact that it's not as great as what everyone claims it to be.
Lafe F

July 11, 2007
Burt Reynolds plays a football player who goes on a spree and is locked in jail and forced to play football. There are a few disturbing things, like the old gay snitch, the cell fire, the mean warden, and Burt without a moustache! There's a muddy hard labor scene. But it has good football games in it. Mean Machines was better.
rayman0071
rayman0071

June 13, 2007
The movie that cemented Burt Reynolds as a bonafide action superstar of the 70's
garyX
garyX

March 17, 2007
Gritty and brutal sports-prison film hybrid that sees Burt Reynolds at his most watchable, sticking it ot the man via american football. It has shades of Aldrich's earlier The Dirty Dozen, and although formulaic and a little predictable, you can't help cheering for the cons in the final, brutal Rocky-like match.
John B

February 25, 2013
Amusing but a bit dated, the original Longest Yard is assisted by the complexity of Reynolds and their window for revenge on the guards that keep them locked up.
Joseph E

April 20, 2007
Clasic!
Wu C

January 26, 2009
Lots of familiar supporting actors in this classic football film.
Lee K

July 22, 2008
The sequel with Sandler is better
David S

May 12, 2008
A great prison movie and a great sports film, all rolled into one. You haven't got to be a fan of American Football to appreciate the way the Mean Machines take the guards apart. This is probably Burt Reynolds best movie (except for maybe 'Boogie Nights') as he manages to show his funny side and his abaility as a dramatic actor. Another great ensemble film from the director of 'The Dirty Dozen' and 'Flight of the Phoenix'. Haven't seen either remake and don't want to. This will always be the best.
broadwaymo
broadwaymo

May 9, 2007
Speaking of movies that didn't need a remake!

Don't waste your time on the wannabe...
PeteyPablo10
October 14, 2012
Really awesome football movie, I wish they still made these caliber of movies today. Very good execution and Burt Reynolds was awesome in the lead as Paul Crewe. The story was engaging and the game play was the cherry on top. There were lots of serious moments with some moments of comedy sprinkled in which was a good mix. The feelings from the movie seemed genuine and if you were ever a part of a team you would feel a connection. One of my favorite sports movies. Football fans would love this but even if you don't care for football it still may be appealing which isn't true for a lot of sports films.
natalielehigh77
June 8, 2009
Burt reynolds, in peak form, plays a former pro quarterback ostracized for shaving points. After beating up his girlfriend and resisting arrest, reynolds winds up in prison, where semiprogessional team of guardsmen win a championship. Naturally, the inmates despise reynolds and naturally he redemms himself in one of the great movies football mathches of all time
riktheactor
April 8, 2009
At Penn State U. we went to see tis film in every condition possible and howled through the whole thing! Burt so outdfoes Adam Sandler, especially in karisma.
stoplookink2468
March 11, 2009
i like the remake better but the orignal is good too i like the fact that burt reynolds is in the remake
amoonie1
March 9, 2009
Really don't like football. Was great to see inmates get even with that stupid warden. What a schmuck he was....
May 23, 2007
This was the movie that defined the Burt Reynolds character. Although his character's name is Paul Crewe, Burt is really just playing himself. Burt Reynolds had played football at Florida State and had wanted to play pro-football but a knee injury prevented him from playing in the pros. This movie was his chance to play football for money. Originally they had intended this movie to be filmed at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester Oklahoma but the summer they were going to film it the inmates at Big Mac decided to burn the prison down in the 1973 prison riot. So the film crew headed of to Georgia to film at the Georgia State Penitentiary at the invitation of Governor Jimmy Carter. Just think if they hadn't burned the prison at McAlester, Jimmy Carter would have never made any Hollywood contacts to fund his run for the President and the whole history of the U.S would have been different. The only reference to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary left in the movie was when they asked the Indian were he played football at and he said "Oklahoma State". Burt says, "Oklahoma State U?" and the Indian replies "Oklahoma State Prison." There are a lot of retired NFL players in the movie which help make the football scenes but it's still a sloppy looking game but then maybe it should look sloppy since this was supposed to represent semi-pro football. In the remake they moved the location to California but that looses the southern feel of the story. The basis of the movie is the southern passion for football at every level of the sport.
KaTeAbSoLuTeLyRuLz
August 12, 2008
I LUVED!!!..AHHHH!!!..it was soo great!!!!!..i am still laughing and i saw it lik 4 hrs ago..if u luv comedies..U WILL SOO LUV THIS MOVIE!
July 17, 2008
The original is always the best. This 1974 Burt Reynolds movie about a prison football team is clearly superior to the 2005 farce starring Adam Sandler.
kamier97
July 13, 2008
this movie is so funny it had me cracking up from start to finish. My fav line s are he broked my nose and the best scean is the part where the gay guys spelt out dicks.