Made in Heaven Reviews

½ November 9, 2014
What utter crap. The director must have been on acid here, felt like I was watching 30 movies at the same time
February 14, 2014
An incredibly cheesy yet creative love story.
April 10, 2013
I absolutely adore this movie!!!
February 16, 2013
Not a great film, but there's still quite a lot to like about this film. It's a story about Timothy Hutton going to Heaven and falling in love with "new soul" Kelly McGillis, who's never lived on Earth. The build of the film is about what happens after they're separated both are reincarnated back on earth? It starts as a simple love story told with an appropriately beautiful dream-like quality. The film loses much of it's magic though once it gets bogged down in their reincarnated lives, from childhood to adulthood. I'm a big fan of director Alan Rudolph and this is one of the few films he did not write, which shows, but it is still unmistakably a Rudolph film, also featuring music by frequent collaborator Mark Isham and frequent DP Jan Kiesser. There's a fun eclectic cast that greatly helps the film, which includes Maureen Stapleton, James Gammon, Mare Winningham, Tim Daly, David Rasche, Amanda Plummer, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Ric Ocasek, James Tolkan, Debra Winger and an uncredited Ellen Barkin. It's a good film with a terrific first act and third act, but the middle of the film is dreadfully dull. I really just wanted the film to just stay in Heaven.
February 9, 2013
Ioved this movie when I first seen in the eighties, had it on VHS. Watched it again tonight. Too bad I can't download the song 'We never danced' from itunes. On order for DVD, so if you as me if I liked it, ffff duh well yeah
April 11, 2012
An all time romantic classic..

One of my all time faviorate movies..
August 24, 2012
heartbreaking love story!!! very good!!!
½ January 9, 2009
Made in Heaven was one of those movies that no one has a clue is out there except for the people that made it and those who stumble upon it. I was fortunate or unfortunate, I don't know which to have been forced to watch this in class. Here we meet two people that fall in love under some strange circumstances. Mike has died and ended up in heaven where he meets the girl of his dreams. She is sent to earth for her first human life. Mike is so distraught that he begs to go back and try to find her so they can be together again. I don't really know what to say about it other than it's extreme hokeyness somehow makes it fun and charming to watch.
April 4, 2012
on of my all time favorites, very romantic and funny.
April 3, 2011
I like the movie, it feels a tad uneven at times and I wish that the Hutton and McGillis characters interracted more on Earth. I love fantasy films of this kind and the story and the acting are very enjoyable. As a topper, the film has a great soundtrack.
November 6, 2010
Well, spiritual or not, this wasn't the idea I had by heaven. A little early to be making such a movie in the 80's?
October 1, 2010
Heaven Without You No Heaven Is

This is the first movie I've watched from the Archive Collection. It's almost a polar opposite of the Criterion Collection. What happened was that Warner Bros. took a long, hard look at their catalog. Most people, you see, don't have any real interest in seeing probably 90% or better of what's in it. They [i]could[/i] do a proper DVD release of, to pick at random from the collection, [i]The Tall Target[/i], a 1951 minor noir starring Dick Powell. But it's so minor that I'd ever heard of it, and there really aren't tons of Dick Powell fans beating down the doors at Warner to get a major release for it. [i]The African Queen[/i]'s lack of release was bewildering; [i]The Tall Target[/i] would be rather more bewildering if they'd wasted a release on it. So. They know that people will keep requesting these movies from them anyway; I've owned this movie on VHS for well over ten years now, myself. What they have done is gone through all the items they have no immediate plans to release properly, slapped chapter breaks every ten minutes, and made them available for purchase on their website. More studios need to do that.

Mike Shea (Timothy Hutton) is in a bit of a rut. He's out of work. The woman he thought was his girl has agreed to marry someone else. And so he sets out to California in search of something better, as so many people have. Only he doesn't get very far before he sees that a car has gone over a bridge. He dives in to rescue the kids trapped in it. He saves them but wakes up in Heaven. His Aunt Lisa (Maureen Stapleton) takes him in and shows him around, and while he's there, he meets Annie Packert (Kelly McGillis), a soul born in Heaven. He falls in love with her, but the mysterious Emmett (Debra Winger in serious disguise) tells Mike that it's Annie's time to go to Earth and live a life there. Souls get sent back, and while Annie was born there, she is still to take a turn. Mike convinces Emmett to let him go to Earth and be born and find her. Emmett tells him that Mike, now Elmo Barnett, will have thirty years to find Annie, now Ally Chandler. If he hasn't found her by his thirtieth birthday, he will never find her, and they will be apart forever.

It is, and let's be honest with ourselves, a terrible, terrible cliché, or perhaps a string of them. I do, however, also think it's a subtle exploration of what's told to us about Heaven in a throwaway line from Annie, repeated in the book Ally will write. Whatever is good in Heaven finds its way to Earth. The shovel Mike acquires in Heaven, churned out by his subconscious, does not necessarily mean a shovel, Emmett tells him. In Heaven, Mike's shovel means that he wants to build a house of his own in the middle of nowhere and give it an unattractive colour. However, Emmett suggests that it might not even be a shovel. He mentions guitar, but the end of the movie is about Elmo and a trumpet. Further, Mike leaves Heaven on a quest, and Elmo is restless. No, I wouldn't want to stay in the life into which Elmo is born, either, but he tells Friendly Truck Driver Neil Young that he doesn't know where he's going. He joins the Army, and he's still just rambling after that. Emmett's right; Elmo isn't really looking. But he's not exactly holding still, either. Just going in circles.

I'm not particularly sold on the visuals of Heaven as shown here. Heaven has a certain late-'80s colour palette I think would get on my nerves after a few days, much less a thousand years. When Mike is building his house, he only chooses bold colours which don't suit a house much at all. I mean, I like the blue he considers, but not on a house, and especially not on that type of house. I like the cheerful British guy (I assume he's supposed to be British, though no accent) who invites Mike and Guy (Willard E. Pugh) to tea at one point, and I like that he still seems to be wearing the same kind of clothing he did in life, or at any rate has chosen clothing from an era other than the ones during the movie's chronology. But the '80s were part of a fairly narrow span of time where you wouldn't just find Aunt Lisa's art in offices or hotel rooms or other places where something colourful but neutral is needed.

Of possible interest is that Neil Young, in the end credits, gets billing over Timothy Hutton. This makes no sense to me, and IMDB has wisely corrected this, properly burying him under many people whose characters were more important to the story. (In particular, Ann Wedgeworth gives a touching performance as Mike's mother.) There is also Tom Petty, surly and drawling as Stanky. (His foil in the sequence is Lucille, played by an uncredited Ellen Barkin.) Ric Ocasek refuses to fix Elmo's car on the grounds that Elmo can't pay him. There are several random musicians or relatives thereof with cameos--and Gary Larson, apparently, though I didn't recognize him. I don't know. Maybe it's that I've never been a visual artist, but I was much more interested in the music. The soundtrack is well worth checking out--if, I suppose, you can find it. And the reason the theme song, "We've Never Danced," is so beautiful is that it's written by Neil Young and sung by Martha Davis, who has a better voice.
July 19, 2010
I saw this movie once, and that was a very very long time ago but it has made an impact on me. Great story. I would love to see this movie again. It"s amazing how love can be made in heaven..=)
July 4, 2010
i want see this movie!!!
January 26, 2010
I really love thios picture can any body tell me how to get it
December 11, 2009
The feeling of true love making the heart grow fonder is a vital facet of human nature. This simple film displays that feeling wonderfully through the mysteriousness of connection even in distance.
November 24, 2009
½ September 17, 2009
i've seen this first in 1993... one of my favorite romantic movies since! you must see it!
September 15, 2009