Ernest Borgnine: 1917-2012

The Oscar-winning actor and enduring star across many decades passes away at 95.

Ernest Borgnine, the Oscar-winning star, multiple Emmy nominee and much-loved character actor whose work endured across decades of film and television, has passed away of renal failure in Los Angeles at the age of 95.

Instantly recognizable for his characterizations that brought a rugged charm to even the smallest part, Borgnine made his screen debut in 1951 and was working right up 'til this year. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1955's Marty, in which he played a lonely Italian butcher; had early breakthrough roles in From Here to Eternity (1953) and Johnny Guitar (1954); and would become a household name with his portrayal of Lt. Commander Quinton McHale in the hit TV series McHale's Navy, which ran from 1962-66.

Borgnine's many other memorable performances included turns in Robert Aldrich's classic The Dirty Dozen, Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, '70s disaster epic The Poseidon Adventure and John Carpenter's Escape from New York. In his later career Borgnine became a fixture in TV roles, even connecting with a whole new generation as the voice of Mermaid Man on SpongeBob Squarepants. He was nominated for an Emmy, at age 92, for his role in the final season of E.R. in 2009.

We actually thought he'd be around forever. R.I.P., sir.

Click here to see Ernest Borgnine's filmography on Rotten Tomatoes. And check out Borgnine's Five Favorite Films here.

Comments

Scott W.

Scott Weeks

I'm actually really bummed about this! Love you, Ernest! R.I.P.

Jul 8 - 04:38 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

This sucks especially after losing Andy Griffith. Two major figures from my childhood gone, but I guess after 95 years and the life he had you can't really complain. It was a great run.

Jul 8 - 04:49 PM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

yes; you are only a few years older than I am . . . it felt like these guys (Andy Griffith, Ernest Borgnine [Bob Hope and George Burns even]) would live forever . . . yet in the end, at some point, everybody dies. (You and I will die someday)

Jul 9 - 01:40 PM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

R.I.P. Mr. Borgnine, you were truly a talented actor with an exceptional filmography. You were absolutely hilarious as the voice of Mermaid Man as well. You will be missed.

Jul 8 - 05:22 PM

Glenn Forsyth

Glenn Forsyth

A great character actor, someone who could play the heavy in many films then turn it around and play the loveable rogue in McHale's Navy. I just watched this series again not long ago, Borgnine was brilliant alongside two comic geniuses in Joe Flynn and Tim Conway. He appeared in some classics, i always liked him.

Jul 8 - 05:29 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

RIP Ernest, grew up watching you as Dominic Santini on Airwolf . . . . . still love to watch you on DVD to this very day.

Jul 8 - 05:49 PM

justjoustin

Joshua G

60 years in film. Props to him. I need to see Marty but loved him in 'Escape from NY', and 'All is Quiet..'. He also has a role in Jesus of Nazareth too and although small, is great.

Jul 8 - 05:58 PM

Joshua Wilburn

Joshua Wilburn

This is the saddest news I've heard in the longest time. This is a man who was trully talented in the art of acting. Even if he was in a shit of a film, he would be the one to bring it up and enjoyable atlease for the scenes he was in. He was a master of drama and the king of comedic timing. R.I.P. Ernest, you will go down in history as The Gentleman of Film. :'(

Jul 8 - 06:31 PM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

Excellent actor. He was awesome in The Wild Bunch.

Jul 8 - 07:12 PM

Rated NCC-1701

Rated NCC-1701

Goodbye, Marty...

Jul 8 - 07:50 PM

Kevin Plaatje

Kevin Plaatje

A great legend that will be missed in the movies or television - R.I.P

Jul 8 - 07:54 PM

Paul Dicioccio

Paul Dicioccio

He could portray a totally asshole thug in "Bad Day At Black Rock" and then turn around and give us "Marty". What a gifted actor he was! Thank you for the memories, Mr. Borgnine. May you Rest In Peace, Ernest.

Jul 8 - 09:28 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I remember him getting his honorary award at the Oscars, sharp right up until the end.

Jul 8 - 09:34 PM

Ethan Rodgers

Ethan Rodgers

As someone a little younger, I have to be honest that my first encounter with Ernest Borgnine was through SpongeBob, and to me he'll always be special because he was Mermaid Man. But having since seen him in Johnny Guitar, Wild Bunch and Marty (among others, including a cheer-worthy moment in Red) I'm sad to say that we've lost a true legend today. It's a sad day.

Jul 8 - 10:14 PM

CherryPop

Cherry Pop

It's the same with me, but I have yet to see his other works.

Jul 11 - 01:29 PM

Giathinh Ho

Giathinh Ho

R.I.P Ernest, the last cowboy of The Wild Bunch. We'll all miss you.

Jul 8 - 10:17 PM

David Lucas

David Lucas

I can just hear the conversation in heaven...
ANDY: What do you wanna do tonight, Ernie?
ERNIE: I dunno, Andy. What do you wanna do?
Thanks, guys.

Jul 8 - 10:49 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

RIP, man. You have been so awesome for so many decades. You became one of those actors that we took for granted. That we always thought would be there. I was so happy to see yin RED, but The Wild Bunch and Emperor of The North will always be my favorites of yours.

Jul 8 - 10:49 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

I recently saw The Wild Bunch for the first time...holy crap that movie is amazing...and Marty is just great...too bad. wow 92 though...

Jul 9 - 01:21 AM

preciliano Beltran

preciliano Beltran

I agree

Jul 9 - 03:07 AM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

Seriously thought this man would be around forever.

Jul 9 - 04:09 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday