Miracle on 34th Street Reviews

June 16, 2015
One of the greatest films ever made! I can watch this year-round and never get tired of Christmas!
April 22, 2015
Corny as H-E-double hockey sticks, but I can see why this is a continual Christmas classic. Edmund Gwenn IS the most iconic Santa Claus I can think of. Good family classic.
½ October 27, 2012
Sometimes funny, often powerful, but always endearing and charming, Miracle on 34th Street is certainly a classic children's movie with engaging and entirely sweet story, wonderful ending, great message and likable characters. It could have been longer and the courtroom scenes should have been reduced for more scenes with Doris and Susan, but it is overall such a beautiful film that is for everyone, not just children, thanks to a wonderful story, great characters, fine acting and terrific, quite important message.
January 13, 2015
The upbeat story and message of faith and generosity which are presented in "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947) remain more relevant today than when the film premiered nearly seventy years ago. Edmund Gwenn's delightful Academy Award-winning performance as Kris Kringle created a character that generations of children and adults alike have come to love. Gwenn is so memorable in the role that he came to forever be identified with Santa Claus until his dying day.
January 10, 2015
Christmas classic that holds up perfectly today, especially in comparison to the numerous failed remakes. The cast is excellent across with board, with Maureen O'Hara her usual radiance while Natalie Wood already showed signs of stardom at a young age as Susie. The star, though, is Edmund Gwenn's brilliant, Oscar-winning performance as Kris Kringle, giving arguable the greatest depiction of Santa Claus on screen, so much so that even if you don't believe he is, you wish he was. Behind the camera, George Seaton crafts a heart-warming yet witty movie, with gentle but pointed jabs at the over-consumerism of the holidays along with fun legal & political humor (seeing adults dance around whether Santa is real or not is hilarious). Best of all, it is not revealed to the very end if Kris Kringle is the real Santa or not. A true classic that has only gotten better with age.
September 9, 2007
People should have the right to believe whatever they want to believe as long as it doesn't harm anyone. What a great message in this charming and often funny Christmas movie. It also delivers great subtle commentary on commercialism which is just as relevant today as it was back when this movie was released
December 25, 2014
Glad I have finally seen this! Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) is the actual Santa Claus. He is walking around the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade when he is approached to replace a drunk Santa. He does so well that the supervisor Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara) hires him for the Christmas season to be the Santa the kids all visit. Doris gets a bit more when she realizes that Kris believes he is the actual Santa! Kris recommends customers go to other stores if Macys doesnt have the item in stock, but it makes the customers want to shop at Macys even more. Mr. Macy himself enjoys this new popularity and puts Doris in a bind when she attempts to fire Kris. Kris meets Doris' daughter Susan who doesn't believe in Santa, but soon opens her eyes to a different view. Eventually some events conspire and its up to a young lawyer Fred Gailey (John Payne) to prove to a court that Kris isn't crazy and is indeed the real Santa. Overall, some people may be put off by the black and white of the film, but it was really well done and has a lot of heart. Overall, a definite look for the holidays!
December 24, 2014
An absolute classic the whole family can enjoy. Christmas isn't the same without it - has to be the black and white version though!
December 21, 2014
"Miracle on 34th Street" really does deliver its wonderful moments on how funny; heart-warming; exciting and of course how groovy this movie really is. Edmund Gwenn gives a wonderful performance for his role as Kris Kringle, and when you see him in this role you buy him the fact that he is Santa Claus. Natalie Wood is also wonderful in this movie as the rest cast all did great. The movie is well shot in black and white, and it is extremely well directed. I love this movie, and it will always be a classic Christmas movie.
½ December 17, 2014
Despite seeing it dubbed in French, i quite enjoyed this oldie. A good xmas movie with some funny parts.
½ December 15, 2014
While I do think this is a enjoyable Christmas film, it is not one of the best in my opinion and I did think that things could have been improved upon. I will start with the positive. Edmund Gwenn easily plays the best character in the whole movie and I thought he really embodied his role as Kris Kringle. He was charming, likable, and he was a fun character to watch. Natalie Wood also did great as Susan and the scenes that she has with Edmund Gwenn are really the best in the movie and their chemistry felt genuine and heartwarming. The film was directed well and it is a good movie to watch to get into the holiday spirit. The story and plot were interesting and that alone was the reason I wanted to watch the movie. Now, here are the flaws that I have that keep it from being a masterpiece in my opinion. My biggest gripe has to be the ending. I thought it felt rushed and it felt like it just happened and I didn't feel anything from it like the film wanted me to. The pacing in the film was just a little weak at times and I thought there were scenes that didn't mean anything to the story that was being told and my final flaw is that there could have been more scenes with Kris Kringle and Susan because I really got into their relationship and it ended quicker than I expected. With all that said, it is still definitely a good and enjoyable Christmas movie and it is not a bad film at all.
½ December 13, 2013
One of the best Christmas classics of all time with great performances, especially Gwenn's made the best Santa; and like its UK title: a big heart filled with magic. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 12, 2014
The film that inspired me to grow a Christmas beard. This is a nice christmassy story which gets a bit stupid near the end but it's ok. I think that you can't really get that Christmas feeling from a black and white picture though, so I suppose I'll have to watch the remake soon.
½ November 13, 2011
Santa Claus in this is perfect.
½ October 3, 2014
Wonderful Christmas movie. Yes, its kind of idealistic, cheesy, sentimental and emotionally manipulative at times, but that's part of its charm. It requires you to leave your cynicism at the door, and just go with the flow.

While it's mostly a Christmas message, there are some more all-encompassing and timeless messages. Most particularly, the anti-consumerism and work-life balance messages.

Simple plot with a beautiful story. Has some very funny moments too.

Good performances by Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O'Hara and John Payne in the lead roles. An 8/9-year old Natalie Wood gives a fantastic performance in one of her earliest roles.

Second only to It's a Wonderful Life as far as Christmas movies go. Shares with that movie the same simple yet wonderful idealism.
April 13, 2014
Possibly the best Christmas movie ever made, Miracle on 34th Street delivers the holiday goods with charm, enjoyment, and a little bit of Yuletide sentimentality.
March 2, 2012
Miracle on 34th street is surprisingly grounded and realistic for the themes the movies focuses on. The ending spits out the cliché "having faith" bit, losing some of its realism, however, the cast create the atmosphere wonderfully. Edmund Gwenn portrays Santa Claus in modern day New York with great realism and ingenuity. This film has a true touch of Christmas without the need of being over sentimental or childish. It speaks to the adults and people, rather than the children. Miracle on 34th street is nearly as poignant as It's a wonderful Life, albeit the almost cringe-worthy ending.
February 27, 2014
A true Christmas classic, 'Miracle on 34th Street' is the sentimental and heartwarming holiday flick that presents a pitch-perfect balance of human generosity and the anxieties of consumerism.
January 16, 2014
Falou desse filme na série 2 broke girls por isso que assisti ;p
½ December 5, 2013
A charming if slightly over-acted piece of ham that sure does get you into the holiday spirit, especially with the gleeful, Academy Award-winning performance by Edmund Gwenn and the perfectly cast performance as a young unbeliever by none other than a young Natalie Wood.