Monkey Business Reviews

½ May 11, 2012
All the brothers were musicians but Harpo alone always got so serious whenever he played harp (sometimes Chico on the piano, but not always). His clown character creation falls from him, regardless of his costume and ... I always think of their mom, making those guys take music lessons. Those guys. One look from Harpo and women run for their virtue, one look, and then the same guy sits down to play a harp, what angels are supposed to play, its a contradiction, isn't it?
Big fun as always, this film, as the stowaway foursome mess with stuffy shipboard personnel, the gentry elite, and gangsters to boot.
Who is Maurice Chevalier?
½ September 3, 2010
My favourite Marx Brothers movie. It's hilarious and short, it's just packed full of jokes and gags.
rubystevens
August 30, 2010
complete anarchy and absolutely hilarious. at the rate they fire off the gags they're bound to miss a few but most of it sticks. i'm inclined to think the boys lost something when they left paramount. i never much cared for the elaborate plots thalberg imposed on them at mgm.
garyX
June 14, 2007
The brothers stowaway on board an ocean liner and get mixed up with a mobster trying to take over his old bosses territory. The usual mix of wisecracking, slapstick and glamorous gals, Monkey Business is virtually plotless and more of a freeform farce that gives them the freedom to do their thing. The scenes on board ship feel far less forced than a lot of their films as a result, and although it rarely provokes belly laughs, it's always great fun and Ruth Hall and Thelma Todd model some pretty outfits to provide some old school glamour. Once they hit land, things peter out somewhat as they set about resolving the "plot" and Harpo and Chico inevitably wheel out their ubiquitous and coma inducing musical asides. Not the best of the Marx brothers films, but it still has its moments, and Groucho once again proves he is at his best when he has an aging dowager to insult!
November 20, 2009
Almost perfect but made just before they reached the top of their game and fine-tuned their act. Still brilliant though, a still very funny!
June 9, 2007
The Marx Brothers as stowaways on an ocean liner. I've seen dozens of times and still laugh out loud at every scene.
½ November 22, 2006
My second favorite Marx Bros movie.
½ July 10, 2009
I really didn't find it funny, it was okay, but I was bored.
½ October 24, 2013
This was the first Marx Brothers movie that didn't start out as a stage play. It's also the first Marx Brothers movie made during the Great Depression. Since it was made as a movie there is more motion than the first two movies. It's also has one of the Marx Brothers in nearly every scene. There is no complicated back story and no long musical numbers. It's just the brothers stowing away on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean. During the trip they are hired as bodyguards for two rival gangsters. After they get to New York they go to one of the gangster's party for his daughter and they foil a kidnapping attempt of the daughter. After I got the DVD of this movie I realized I had seen it before on TV not to long ago. It was probably on one of the cable channels.
January 3, 2012
Fun stuff -- Marx Brothers sneak onto a cruise ship; mayhem ensues. I liked "Duck Soup'' better, but this was good. Stands up well after 80 years.
½ September 13, 2011
Amazing fun with the Marx Bros as stowaways on an ocean liner, leading to some great bits as the ship is searched from top to bottom, with the barrels that they hide in showing some Looney Tunes-esque turns as the film goes on.

Highly recommended, one of their best.
May 1, 2009
Always think of Fred Astair when thinking of Ginger Rogers? Think again! She was great on her own and a perfect match with Cary Grant. One word describes the nature of their character. Distinguished! It's amazing that these two didn't clash but worked so well together.
July 29, 2007
Great again. The boys are stowaways and run from a gangster. Unfortunately for them, no one can sing like Maurice Cheveliar.
July 27, 2007
Ah Lawdy, this movie is brutal. Never been so happy for the boring musical interludes, need to exhale sometime.
July 2, 2007
the mob never was this funny. neither was harpo's puppet head. another classic from the marx's, and probably my favorite movie of their's.
½ May 7, 2007
sigh... seeing these names makes me wanna watch them again. if this is the one where they start out as stowaways on a ship then, yes, this one is awesome too.
May 4, 2007
More running gags between the four of them than any of their other Paramount production. "Show me a radius." "WJZ!"
½ June 9, 2006
Actually, I rented this because I was under the impression it was the one with the scene where all these people are crowded into one room. I was mistaken. Actually this is the least interesting of the four Marx Brothers movies I've seen thus far. Although it had more Marx Brothers antics and less plot, the antics themselves weren't as marvelous as they have been in other movies. Still, you can't go too far wrong with ANY Marx Brothers movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed the random dance/guitar solo and Harpo's apparently removable limbs.
October 28, 2014
Quick and funny, short but sweet, full of jokes and fun entertainment. One of my favorite Marx Bro's.
March 1, 2014
It had me laughing all the way through!