Moulin Rouge Reviews

April 22, 2015
50 years before the title would be forever synonymous with jukebox musicals and elephant trunks, Moulin Rouge was a Hollywood biopic, just as extravagant and only half as ridiculous. It recounted the tragic life of artist Toulouse-Lautrec. His luck, his women and his art. It colorfully brings his magnificent paintings to life in many of the joyous dance sequences, especially the one at the beginning of the picture. Sadly, It wasn't as equally riveting as a story. If you've seen many biopics over the years, prepare to be bored. It's as formulaic as it gets. One of John Huston's forgotten pictures, understandably.
June 15, 2007
Boring biopic that is almost unwatchable
April 8, 2014
This movie is like easing into a really hot bath. It is 100% over the top with Rocky Horror Picture Show type camp. If you like musicals and you have a taste for the purposeful exaggeration that camp brings then you've got it here. The beginning is insane but once you get past all of that the plot unfolds, it slows down, and it becomes engrossingly fascinating.
½ January 6, 2014
Ferrer has irritated me in other roles but he does well here in the original version of Moulin Rouge. It wasn't a Luhrmann triumphant production with visuals and music coming at you from ever which way but it is entertaining to whatch Toulouse Lautrec being seduced by Montmarte.
December 11, 2013
bio-pic bears no resemblence to the 2001 pic with same title
½ July 14, 2013
Liked this one more than I thought I would (I am a sucker for technicolor). John Huston directs the story well, and Jose Ferrer is wonderful in it. It is nice to see a young Zsa Zsa Gabor.
½ May 26, 2013
This movie is so good i love this movie omg its so sad at the end
May 26, 2007
I dunno why, but I think this movie's awesome.
January 1, 2013
Beautifully shot and very moving. A very strong performance by Josà (C) Ferrer.
December 7, 2012
This was interesting! poor short guy tho!
June 15, 2007
"Moulin Rouge" tells the story of artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, a crippled man who only wanted to find love. Jose Ferrer's performance is stunning as the atmosphere of 1890's Paris comes to life. The special effects artists did a great job of turning this man of average stature into a convincing 4'6" character whose legs never properly grew. It was enjoyable to see Zsa Zsa Gabor as Jane Avril but for the most part, the film tends to drag on. All of the scenes in the Moulin Rouge are magic if you have ever had the opportunity to go for real and it is cool to see Lautrec's paintings come to life, but I'd much rather watch the modern musical with the same name if I am looking to be entertained.
November 6, 2012
i'm not big on musical's but this one rocks.
September 18, 2012
Don't know why, but this movie did nothing much for me. John Leguizamo is the man, though.
August 21, 2012
my favorite musical movie which successfully drag my emotion like roller coaster!
jjnxn
½ May 7, 2007
Technicolor is a wonderful way to highlight Toulouse-Lautrec's work which the film does well and Zsa Zsa is fun in what is probably her best role. However Huston's pacing is slow and Ferrer gives a self important, dull performance.
July 24, 2012
Saw this in the movies and rented. Familare story and music.
July 22, 2012
best musical movie i've watched
½ January 27, 2009
I believe this film will stay with me, especially since it was not what I expected. I was not familiar with the story of Lautrec, and to have it told so well by Huston and Ferrer I am surprised to have not seen this earlier. Ferrer's role is probably his most memorable and it left me moved and at the same time jealous of the artistic and refined abilities of Lautrec. It left me fascinated with Paris again, making me want to live there for a season. It brought to mind the nobility of the film Emile Zola and the romanticism of Moulin Rouge. Zsa Zsa Gabor was outstanding, this is the first I have seen her glamour and appeal at such a young age. Then to have Christopher Lee there as well made it especially good.
June 10, 2012
Would love to see this version.
October 1, 2007
wonderful music, as well as an amazing love story.