• The Mummy

—— Warehouse 13: Season 5

The Mummy Reviews

Cory T

October 12, 2013
Cushing is such a chameleonic actor that he can transform substantially from one role to the next. In the 'Frankenstein' films, he is a haggard, misanthropic egomaniac who will sacrifice others for his gumption. In Hammer's sensational 'The Mummy', Cushing is the prodigal son of an archaeologist and he is positively youthful and benighted; the polar opposite of his demented doctor. Of course Hammer is reverential to the source material but it also incorporates some intriguing wrinkles into the story such as Lee's statuesque Kharis doesn't masquerades as a modern aristocrat because he is the murderous henchman of Mehemet Bey. Terence Fisher weans the utmost moodiness from the slow-burn tale with a foggy-bog resurrection. The embalming process is delineated in painstaking detail (from the caravan of organs to the final resting place) during a monologue by Cushing. With his towering height, Lee should be a germane candidate for the undead prowler but the facial makeup is too inexpressive to display an emotional range. However his piercing eyes are copacetic substitutes for the middling costume by Roy Ashton. 1959's 'The Mummy' can chalked up as another flamboyant, epic retelling from Hammer Studios. The most impressive element of Hammer's output is their economical celerity which practically ensures that they never overstay their welcome.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 27, 2012
For a movie called The Mummy, the movie is certainly about The Mummy... maybe too much so. I see this as just another excuse to get Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in the same movie together, somehow. The film is so repetitive and explains the same things over and over again, even going so far as to having a lengthy backstory scene, that it's at a constant state of halt. It doesn't move like a natural narrative should, with fresh information and character development at all times. Maybe I'm just asking too much though. After all, this is a Hammer Horror production, and is a bit of a remake of the Universal original, but I think just a little bit more attention could have been paid in the details to make it better. The make-up work is good, and it's shot well, but its slow pace, or lack thereof, make it a difficult movie to sit through. Not that it doesn't have its charms, but it's definitely not perfect.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 5, 2012
Terrence Fisher's film The Mummy is one of the better takes on Universal Studios famous monster. Christopher Lee adorns the bandages in this Hammer Classic and he delivers a unique performance. This film is superb in its acting and plot. For a monster film, this version of The Mummy is a near flawless take on the classic tale. Peter Cushing delivers a great performance, but Christopher Lee steals the show. Director Terrence Fisher who previously worked with Lee and Cushing on previous Hammer Horror outings directs this classic horror tale. The Mummy evokes thrills and terror. Fisher crafts a solid film, and the cast deliver some strong performances. This is the first time I've watched a Hammer Horror production, and it won't be the last. Though I absolutely enjoyed the 1932 classic starring Boris Karloff, I have to give credit to Terrence Fisher for delivering a new vision on The Mummy. Overall this is a terrific horror film in its own right. Christopher Lee is great in the title role and much like Karloff before him; he makes the character his own. This film is a must see for Hammer Horror fans, and for fans of classic horror films. Christopher Lee adorns his bandages well, and delivers on-screen. This is a well crafted horror gem that makes The Mummy a monster to be reckoned with once more. This unlike the countless unimpressive sequels makes you cry out for your mummy.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
An okay mummy movie, it has good actors, and it's pretty exciting in some scenes, but overall it's not that great, it's okay though.
Stephen M

October 21, 2007
The 'Mummy' films made by Hammer were much duller than the 'Frankenstein' or 'Dracula' movies. This one starts slowly but finishes well, and Lee's make-up looks superb. Possibly one of Hammer's most attractively photographed movies.
David S

January 3, 2014
Made at the beginning of Hammer's horror run this reunites Cushing and Lee but their relationship is much more in the vein of their 'Curse of Frankenstein' venture as Lee gives a (mostly) mute performance as the title character. Cushing brings his usual gravitas but the film lacks the 'horror' of a lot of their other partnerships and although beautifully directed it is all a bit pedestrian.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 7, 2007
When ever I thought of mummies, I always thought of them wrapped up in cloth, which is something the 1932 version was missing. Koloff was creepy but he had too many lines.....for a mummy lol. Christopher Lee's mummy has no lines, he's a monster and nothing but a monster. Yet, Lee still manages to be effective in the role. If you want a scary monster movie to watch on Halloween, this is the version to see
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 25, 2007
Original and schlock horror at its best.
July 31, 2011
Hammer Film's version of The Mummy is much more a traditional monster movie than the Universal original. Peter Cushing stars as John Banning, son of an archeologist who opens the tomb and pisses off the wrong Egyptian. The Egyptian then follows John, his father, and his assistant back to England where the mummy is set loose to get revenge. Long scenes of backstory and flashbacks feel like a misstep in this one as it slows down the action. It takes about an hour for the mummy to show up and that is a major misstep for a film of this type. Once the monster is on screen however, the film kicks into gear. Christopher Lee is perhaps misused as the monster because you cannot tell it is him, but that's because the makeup is fantastic and Hammer Film's workhorse director Terence Fisher was not afraid to show tight close ups in full light. The effects team made an impressive monster and Fisher does an excellent job of making the mummy seem huge and imposing. Despite a few stumbles and a rather boring 2nd act, this ends up being a decent Hammer flick. The mummy treatment alone makes it worth seeing and no film staring Peter Cushing can be a bad film, he's just so damn cool.
September 6, 2009
This is the Hammer film version starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. It is apparently not based on the original Universal Mummy, but its sequels The Mummy's Hand and The Mummy's Tomb (which I have not seen). Mummy gets mad, mummy gets revenge. It was very typical Hammer, so if you like that, you'll like this.
January 17, 2009
Christopher Lee plays an incredibly sympathetic monster in this update of, what I think, is one of the more boring of the Universal creature features.
firstamb
July 9, 2008
The 1950s remake of the Mummy from the 30s, (no review of the 30s one), is sppkoky for its day. A classic cult flick.
March 30, 2008
You won't believe how hard I worked to see this movie (it took three tries from Netflix before I got a disc that actually worked, and the last time still required me to scrub the disc before my player would recognize it). I'm still a Hammer newbie, but The Mummy is one of my favorite Universal monster films, so I thought this might be a good place to start. I love Lee's characterization of the titular role, and Cushing is, as usual, a fine nemesis to ol' Christopher's embodiment of evil. But the colors looked garish, the dialogue struck me as stilted, and the sets looked like... well, sets. I never believed that I was anywhere other than on a soundstage. The ending is satisfying, but I still haven't seen the "jaw dropping on the floor" Hammer movie I eventually hope to find.
rideswithastorm
June 3, 2007
This is one of the best early mummy movies, ever. Horror fans will love this vintage example, of how to scare the hell out of us.
sarwood
April 30, 2007
Tradition- Every year at Halloween, I stay up until the wee hours of the morning watching the old flicks.
Sgt. Cockstrain
March 7, 2014
(50%)
It's an improved effort over Universal's 1932 version, but it's still not one of Fisher's best. The script is stronger, and the movie is more fun to watch, although the pacing is uneven as it never really feels like it's getting anywhere near to its conclusion. Overall one of the better mummy films that comes recommended more to fans of Hammer than for everyone.
December 7, 2007
While perhaps not as best known as the other early Hammer classics ,Director Terence Fisher pulls out all the stops here and gives us a version of the Mummy which i feel is better than the Universal versions of the 1930s.
The story is or course the old Dont open the Mummys Tomb bit as Christopher Lees undead bandaged high preist returns to wreak revenge against Peter Cushings dig team.
The film has some truly astonishing makeup effects as Lees mummy is one of the most terryfying monsters seen on the screen up to that point.
Cushing is excellent as he always was and as i have said on here before many times director Terence Fisher was a master crafts man in this field and his building of menace and using Character actors to defuse some of the horror really shows what a great director he really was.
KevinRobbins
December 29, 2013
He was sentenced to get his tongue cut from his mouth.

In the 1890s a mummy is discovered in Egypt that has been placed under a curse. The interaction stirs the mummy and he begins to awaken. The mummy is taken back to Europe to a collector but is lost in route close to his scheduled destination. People in the village start turning up missing. A local man, whose wife looks a lot like the princess the mummy was scheduled to marry, tries to solve the mystery murders.

"A man's best friend is a horse."
"It's a dog."
"It's a horse. I'm not drunk."

Terence Fisher, director of Horror of Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein, The Hounds of Baskersvilles, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, The Brides of Dracula, and The Revenge of Frankenstein, delivers The Mummy. The storyline for this picture is really entertaining and fun to watch unfold. The action scenes aren't outstanding but the acting and character development is very good. The cast includes Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Eddie Byrne, and Yvonne Furneaux.

"He was buried alive in a secret tomb especially prepared for him."

I DVR'd this picture this last Halloween season during a Peter Cushing marathon on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I found this movie very interesting and well written. I wish the action scenes were a little better, but the overall plot and theme were executed very well. I strongly recommend seeing this if you're a fan of the old school horror genre.

"They wouldn't know an Egyptian from a Chinese acrobat."

Grade: C+/B-
Cory T

October 12, 2013
Will Reid
July 7, 2013
The Mummy (1959) is a movie I watch at least twice a year. It's just so entertaining and fun. In my opinion, this is one of the best horror films ever made, and it's definitely Hammer's finest hour. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are the best part, as always.