Like Horror Remakes? Get Ready for a Bunch More.

Professional remake house Platinum Dunes and Universal's genre arm (Rogue Pictures) have signed a deal -- and the result will be (at least) four more horror remakes. On deck are redos of "The Hitcher," "Near Dark," "The Changeling," and "The Birds."

From Variety: "Platinum, which has already completed production on a Rogue remake of "The Hitcher" for April release, will kick off the deal by remaking "Near Dark," the 1987 pic about a cowboy wooed into joining a roving band of vampires. Samuel Bayer, helmer of such videos as Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," is attached to direct. Matt Venne is writing the script, and Charles Meeker and Amy Kaufman also produce. Production begins early next year.

The producer also will steer a remake of 1987 pic "The Changeling," which Rogue already had on its development roster. Separately, Platinum Dunes is remaking Hitchcock's "The Birds" for Universal Pictures."

Comments

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

Isn't Clooney remaking Pet Sematary as well? I'm actually looking forward to that...

Oct 6 - 09:52 AM

Hari Seldon

R Whitten

A remake of The Birds? In the immortal words of Jed Clampett " Pitiful, just pitiful!"

Oct 6 - 10:02 AM

Wollstonecraft

Brent Farmer

[b]No[/b]
You do not remake Hitchcock, did we not learn our lesson from Psycho?

Oct 6 - 10:02 AM

F-ing Hot

Untitled Untitled

Agreed.

Oct 6 - 03:16 PM

Captain Shimmy

Justin Snipes

Heaven forbid they actually make original movies. Soon they'll be remaking a remake. And on that day, I will weep.

Oct 6 - 10:41 AM

dracula68

michael pacholski

[b]Keep That Hanky Ready, Captain[/b]
Well, prepare that hanky Captain Shimmy. A few years ago "The Birds" actually had a sequel that aired on Showtime about 9, 10 years ago. So while we're not technically talking "remake of a remake" we are talking a remake of an original that had a sequel that appeared on Showtime. If you thought the remake of Psycho was unnecessary.

Oct 9 - 01:23 AM

digitalsoul68

Bevan Calo

[b]Wanted: Studio Execs with Originality[/b]
Is Hollywood THAT STRAPPED for scripts that they're resorting to movies that came out just over 20 years ago???

Oct 6 - 10:46 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

I'm down for all this! I'm a big horror nut! I go and rent like 2 to 5 horror movies a weekend and just go crazy on it!

The changeling is a classic horror film, it has all the elements of a great horror movie, you know the mystery, the injustice done to a person therefor the ghost lingers. Good film! I've study and read so much on horror film ie the pscychology of horror films and why we need them.

Good to see this genere making a come back!

Oct 6 - 10:48 AM

Moviecollector17

Nick C

Next week'll be the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre the Beginning and after that a remake of Saw and so on.

Oct 6 - 11:13 AM

criddic

Bryan Keith

I would hardly call remaking good horror films a "comeback" for the genre. A comeback would require them to be making good New horror movies. Gore does not make a good horror movie. Suspense and unexpected moments do. Stories that get you into that eerie mood. They don't make movies like that anymore. That's why they are remaking these movies, like "The Omen" and the soon to be made "Halloween." Aren't there any writers out there who know the difference between suspense and gore? There was hardly any actual on-screen gore in either of those films, except a few shock moments. The new horror films feature an onslaught of dismembered bodies and gory sequences that last a long time and come frequently, at the expense of character and real chills.

Oct 6 - 11:15 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Todays audiences do not have the patience for suspense over gore. Everyone's ADD. Audiences want immediate stimulation. Who wants to think while at a horror movie anyway?

Oct 6 - 11:39 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Good point.

Oct 6 - 12:24 PM

CMPunk>you

Chris Cook

Apparently you've never seen this little movie called "Saw", or "Sin City", or "The Hills Have Eyes". One of those anyways. Just seeing Halloween once or twice after renting it from your local Blockbuster doesn't make you the "expert" on horror movies.

Oct 12 - 08:03 PM

Sadistik

J. P.

Why why why why why why why.

This is so shameful. Near Dark, The Changeling.....WHY?

Oct 6 - 11:21 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

I can't wait for the remake of Scream. That will be killer! Or not. What are they going to remake in 20 years? The Thomas Crown Affair, Longest Yard?

Oct 6 - 11:23 AM

mikeyh

michael henning

what a sad day...

Oct 6 - 11:26 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Whatever happened to the advice Roger Ebert once gave: Why not remake BAD movies and leave the good ones alone? Hell, the best you could do would be to IMPROVE something that was bad to begin with. If it turns out crappy, well...Blockbuster Video will always have room on their shelves.

Oct 6 - 11:35 AM

Reel 2/Dialogue 2

Jar Jar Binks

Actually, it was Gene Siskel how doled that advice, and I'd wholeheartedly support such efforts (if the remakes were good). The one I'm looking forward to is Bryan Singer's remake of [i]Logan's Run[/i], the original of which I only liked the first half.

Oct 7 - 09:10 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

And the poor writers who actually have good, ORIGINAL scripts (I know a few) get no chance to have their movies made. I don't mind the occasional remake myself, but it seems this is just getting out of hand.

Oct 6 - 11:38 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Oct 6 - 11:39 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Good point.

Oct 6 - 12:24 PM

omelette

Bobby Brown

Why the heck would you remake a classic like The Birds??? Ugh. That's going to be a disaster.

Oct 6 - 11:56 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

[b]No! Not The Changeling![/b]
The Changeling is one of the best pure ghost stories ever made. No boogey men, no blood, no cheap jump-cut shocks. Just a creepy haunted house and an excellent performance by George C. Scott. More people should see it, but if they remake it, no one will. And the remake will suck, so even fewer people will be inclined to see the original. A sad day.

Oct 6 - 12:18 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

oh I love the Changeling! I own it on DVD and I watch it every Halloween.

Its so good my professor in film class showed it as the quentisential horror/ghost film.

But I would give the remake a chance with some of the modern FX the movie should be great!

Oct 6 - 12:37 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Good point.

Oct 6 - 12:24 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

oh I love the Changeling! I own it on DVD and I watch it every Halloween.

Oct 6 - 12:37 PM

Reeven

Jud Widing

Wow, the fact that remakes are being announced is bundles of 4 is even more pathetic then that fact that there are remakes to announce.

Oct 6 - 12:40 PM

lpbreeze

First Last

[b]Near Dark[/b]
I think a Near Dark remake would be good. It has a solid premise already although I'm sure they could change it. Not a lot of people saw the movie when it came out so even though its a more recent movie it could still be fresh.

Oct 6 - 01:02 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!