Night and Day Reviews

February 28, 2015
admittedly, I'm no musical guy, but I still enjoyed it.
½ January 16, 2015
This film was fantastic from start to finish....
December 3, 2014
What was interesting to see was the way Porter's homosexuality was handled. No, it wasn't ignored. Rather, it was reflected by MIchael Curtiz, the director, through Grant's diffidence toward Alexis Smith and every other woman in the film. In fact, there are hints throughout the film: a young thing telling Grant/Porter that "he never shows interest in her, the way the other guys do"; his pecks on Smith's cheek; Smith complaining that "we haven't really been alone in our marriage". I could go on. One reviewer here referenced Grant's "stiffness". Well, what that reviewer way was great direction: Porter's indifference to women; Grant treats them all as sisters in this film.
½ April 11, 2013
Night and Day is an excellent film. It is the fictionalized biography of composer Cole Porter from his days at Yale in the 1910s through the height of his success to the 1940s. Cary Grant and John Alvin give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of music and drama. Night and Day is a must see.
September 13, 2009
Rather humdrum biopic. They probably should have told more the tale of Porter's "world" rather than his life, and that might have been more interesting. They wanted to highlight the songs anyway.
½ October 7, 2012
Carey Grant seems to almost have his skills handicapped in this movie. The usal charm just does not shine through and the extremely fabricated story disjointed and shall we say straightened out a little to much.
October 7, 2012
good technicolor bio-pic
½ June 23, 2012
Dull, and inaccurate. Ostensibly a biography on Cole Porter, it is mostly fiction, presenting a very sanitised movie-for-the-masses image of Porter. Cole Porter was very much alive at the time the movie was made, so maybe the producers dared not depict him in any way that might diminish or change his image with fans and moviegoers. In addition, maybe not all the details of his private life were known at the time...

Direction is pretty much paint-by-number. Michael Curtiz is one of Hollywood's most under-rated directors, having given us masterpieces such as Casablanca and Mildred Pierce, yet here he looks positively average.

Performances are pretty flat. Even Cary Grant just seems to be going through the motions. Alexis Smith does her best to breathe life into the proceedings, but its a futile task.

Not worth seeing as a drama, and certainly not as a documentary.

De-Lovely (2004) is a much more accurate depiction of the private life of Cole Porter, though also struggles to inject any energy or interest.
November 19, 2006
This is a fim that stars Cary Grant playing the part of famous musical composer Cole Porter. The film is part biography of his life and part musical. The film is full of musical and dance numbers. While the other half of the film shows us the life of this famous composer. The film apparently does not hold true to Cole Porter's life and is fictionalized in most of this. Still the film is entertaining and Cary Grant is excellent as always in his films. If your a Cary Grant fan or just enjoy a good musical film then check this out.
January 18, 2011
taking a break from reading----Cole Porter ---Night and Day the movie with Cary Grant
September 5, 2010
Grant plays Cole Porter in this biography of his life. It features many of his hit songs too. If you're a fan of either Grant or Porter, you will enjoy this movie.
August 17, 2010
Bleh. Fails to check either of the two essentials for a biopic - Interesting main character, and interesting story. I'm sure the truth of Cole Porter's life is much more interesting - this is just an excuse to whack a bunch of his tunes into a film and put bums on seats that way. The actors do what they can with the material, as does Curtiz, but it's overlong and just plain boring. Monty Woolley injects some life into proceedings though... playing himself.
June 28, 2009
Highly fictionalized biography of Cole Porter, with the curious miscasting of Cary Grant in the lead. Alexis Smith is fine as his love interest. It obviously ignores the fact Porter was gay. The recent film De Lovely is also a biography of Porter, it is more accurate and does explore the gay aspect, but Night and Day is still more entertaining.
½ July 3, 2009
Cary Grant plays Cole Porter in this biopic about his life.

Way too much fiction in this movie in my opinion to be called biographical with lots of embellishments. But I understand of course that I can be really hard to make a biopic of such a famous person as Cole Porter, who was still living while this movie was made so it was probably more appropriate then to make a movie about how he himself (Cole Porter) would like his life to appear, then to make a more veracious drama.

In the beginning of the movie Mr. Porter tells his mother that he doesnīt want to be a lawyer but a musician, and then all through the movie he composes and writes songs on the piano for his wife whom he loves so much.

One of the most interesting thing is that they completely ignore the fact that Cole Porter was a homosexual (yet married!), but of course that would be too controversial in a movie from the 1940s.

A biopic can certainly be good even though it contains great inaccuracies (most biopics actually do), but why I chose to rate this movie 5 out of 10 is because the whole story lacks motivation and doesnīt quite make you more interested in the person Cole Porter unless you already are, and thatīs what I think is a point with biopics, to get more interested in the mainperson.

No, itīs about time they make a new biopic about Cole Porter, which includes his life, his music, and how hard it must have been for him being homosexual during a time when society had even more intolerance for it then today.

Despite good actors; Cary Grant, Alexis Smith, Jane Wyman, Eve Arden, among others and the legendary director Michael Curtiz, and despite the nice Cole Porter songs, this is a dull movie.
½ June 8, 2009
A great musical from Warners, all star cast with Cary Grant as Cole Porter and Alexis Smith as his wife Linda. The music was great but the film was squeaky clean and again, it took a lot of liberties with what really happened. But who cares? The movie was just one big enjoyable musical.
June 20, 2008
Wonderful, even if entirely fictitious, and then some.
June 2, 2008

March 18, 2008
Worth a look for the supporting cast and the music alone. As a story it is far too sanitised to be much good and it's most definitely not a factual account of Cole Porter's life.
½ March 17, 2008
An entertaining but completely inaccurate biopic of Cole Porter, "Night and Day" is really a showcase for Porter's magnificient songs.

Although I'm a fan of Porter, I've often wondered why on Earth Hollywood wanted to do a movie on him at this time. Porter was a homosexual (a no-no back then), he preferred Broadway to Hollywood, and his lyrics were often censored. Indeed, this movie borders fiction as so much of it is a fabrication.

For fans of Cary Grant, Alexis Smith or Cole Porter's songs, I'd recommend "Night and Day". For those who want a factual biography on Porter, stay away.
½ April 18, 2007
They left out all of the gay stuff.