70% The Equalizer Sep 26

Odd Man Out Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 16, 2012
After an IRA-sponsored bank heist goes wrong, a seriously wounded man wanders Belfast.
I spent most of this film wondering about the title card at the beginning that pretentiously proclaimed the film was about "the hearts of men" and not the IRA. I kept looking for what the film was saying about the hearts of men, but the collection of characters was more varied and idiosyncratic than can be reduced to types; they don't seem emblematic of a particular political position. I felt like the film wanted to be more reductive than what I saw in it, which is a strange reversal of fortune.
The action sequences, particularly the attempted escape from the bank, were often thrilling. When the film became a character study instead of an action film in the second and third acts, director Carol Reed handled that transition well, though not seamlessly.
James Mason flashes bits of a fleshed-out character, but mostly the script relegates him to playing wounded, but the large, supporting cast is colorful and interesting.
Overall, I don't really know what Odd Man Out is saying or what it thinks it's saying, but the characters are round and mostly interesting, which ultimately makes the film worth watching.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 5, 2009
There's a plethora of morals and conclusions to be drawn from Carol Reed's timeless Odd Man Out. A saga of hope vs. hopelessness in a duel to the bitter end. Absolutely brilliant.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 21, 2009
Excellent British noir, perhaps a little overlong. James Mason is brilliant in the lead but it is beautifully acted by the entire cast.
arashxak
arashxak

November 7, 2008
Wow, Two thumbs up, Another masterpiece by Mr. Reed
Ken S

May 5, 2007
One of the great unsung film noir's.
Carol Reed's (The Third Man) other great masterpiece stars James Mason as an Irish terrorist on the hiding out from his gang, the law and head hunting citizens.
rubystevens
rubystevens

December 28, 2007
gritty crime drama from carol reed pre-third man. nice performance by james mason as an ira man on the run after a botched robbery. progress toward reed's masterpiece is quite evident with great shadowy noir atmosphere, sharp dialogue, suspenseful chase scenes and interesting random characters along the way all leading to a powerful climax
June 6, 2009
Drunken, Irish claustrophobia. But I wanted to punch some of the characters, namely Shell, in the face.
March 3, 2009
I have a weakness for movies that start off one way and kind of wander off course, and this is a beautiful example of a man on the run story that devolves from a chase movie into a slow and beautiful reflection on humanity and death. It is wonderfully surreal and that quality perfectly meshes with the perspective of James Mason?s Johnny McQueen. The first in a creative streak for Carol Reed that produced this, Fallen Idol and The Third Man in succession and arguably extends to Outcast of the Islands (I have yet to see The Man Between). This blurb cannot do justice to the film, but I need to get back to work! Highly recommended!
September 3, 2014
Best Film Noire ever. I can watch this movie over and over again the cast is that good. amazing Atmosphere!
January 3, 2013
A great film noir style thriller that is by no means glamorous. A wounded IRA gunman's encounters with the everyday folk of Post-War Belfast adds social realism to the screenplay yet there remains little for James Mason & Robert Newton to display their stagecraft with in the script. The movie includes some fine, surreal hallucinatory cinematographic effects which help to convey Johnny's( the Odd Man Out) state of mind. For instance there is a moment in a booth of the Pub when Johnny awakens and spills his ale. The camera shot shows Johnny's POV looking at the liquid and the bubbles in the froth on the wooden table. Reed uses this as a chance to enlighten the viewer to Johnny's state of mind. Within each bubble is a memory. These memories are zoomed in on and a scene in his recent past is enacted. The cumulative effect of the larger bubbles of froth repititiously evoking Johnny's recent past causes Mason(the OMO) to shout out in anguish, silencing the bar and alerting all & sundry to his whereabouts.This is a great true to life drama and very well told.
February 22, 2013
A very powerful Film Noir about an injured I.R.A. leader trying to make it back home after a botched bank robbery.
Dave J
November 14, 2012
Wednesday, November 14, 2012

(1947) Odd Man Out
THRILLER/ SUSPENSE

After an I.R.A. leader Johnny (James Mason) escapes from the U.K. authorites, he devises a plan to rob one of the banks to help pay for his cause, but as a result of an unknown concussion in which he receives dizzy spells, he accidently kills a man while escaping with the loot. Johnny then gets lost amongst the excitement while trying to escape using a getaway car while the other men that were with him go on a hiding. They eventualy get captured or killed leaving the only one still remaining which is Johnny and the lady Anna looking for him. Thoughout the film, they're several close calls and convenient luck because of other bystanders debating about how to help him and so forth but the police eventually get to him for it's just a matter of when and how.

Directed by Carol Reed, this film may be the basis for his much superior film "The Third Man" for they're identicle since both films are about "Wanted" men except that the James Mason character Johnny didn't seem to be as bad from what I saw in the film in comparison to the Orson Welles character as Harry Lime in "The Third Man". For some reason as a result of sympathizing for his character, I ended up rooting for him even against incredible odds, motivating me to skip most of this film by using the 'fast forward' button while playing right up to the very end. It's very tame in comparison to what viewers can get from current films about the I.R.A.

2 out of 4
January 8, 2012
Not only does James Mason deliver yet another amazing performance, but the entire narrative will keep you on the edge of your seats for its hour and fifty-one minute run time.
January 3, 2012
disappointingly eh. not reed's best.
Adrian B.
December 26, 2011
Four men plan out a bank robbery in a local mill, for which there is a getaway car in the process. With firearms, they successfully rob the finance part of the mill, but unfortunately, the process ends with a tragic situation. One of the men, Johnny (James Mason), gets into a fight with a gun wielding employee. This man shoots Johnny in the shoulder, but in return, Johnny mortally wounds the employee. He gets away in the car, but only after a few blocks, he falls out and escapes on foot. A film for which the viewers' most likely begin watching the film with dislike towards the main characters, since they are criminals. However, the changes, after Johnny escapes on foot and tries to make his way back to the headquarters, with aid from passers buy who actually do not support him...nor are against. As film goes, this one is fantastic. The suspense from start to finish is wonderful, with a fantastic plotline to boot. James Mason shines as the lead actor under the marvellous direction of Carol Reed. Remember, Reed released this film two years before his class "The Third Man." It's too bad neither of these two films was nominated for Best Picture, and his 1968 film "Oliver" sadly took home the gold.
starlett2005
November 21, 2011
Odd Man Out is a terrific film. It is about a wounded Irish nationalist who attempts to evade police after a failed robbery. James Mason and Robert Newton give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written and exciting. Carol Reed did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the drama and romance. Odd Man Out is a must see.
September 23, 2011
Very good moral tale. Very relevant, even today.
May 23, 2011
Just a really great movie. Once again proving that Carol Reed might be THE most underrated director in film history.
April 19, 2011
James Mason himself agreed that his supporting cast acted him off the screen. The odd trio of F. J. McCormick as Shell, Elwyn Brook-Jones as Tober and Robert Newton as Lukey are utterly compelling. What a strange house those three men inhabit. Why are they together? What are their stories? What is the full nature of their relationship? I found that to be utterly compelling.