On the Town Reviews

Mr Awesome
March 29, 2012
Exuberant, nonstop dashing about the streets of New York City while on shore leave, three sailors chase down love in one of the first musicals to use actual location shooting. The three sailors, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Jules Munshin, each have their own idiosyncratic charms, but it's their gal friends who keep the movie from getting stale. Especially Betty Garrett (who'd later go on to play neighbor to both Archie Bunker and Laverne and Shirley), whose super-sexed taxi driver character chases down a poor, bewildered Frank Sinatra (and he just wants to see the sights of the city, not get all involved with some wacky dame). There is one particularly memorable song ("New York, New York, it's a wonderful town!"), and some less memorable ones, but they are all pretty entertaining. And that's probably the best way to describe On The Town, not very memorable, but entertaining.
May 28, 2007
This one and Anchors Aweigh act as perfect companion pieces! But this is definitely more rowdy, more sexually charged, and I must say I do prefer it, if not just for Ann Miller's awesome museum tap dancing.
April 4, 2007
I have to confess a secrt love for Gene Kelly, the man is a fascinating dancer with a style of his own. This fun 40's musical is typically corny, extremely predictable and the songs (bar one or two) are easily forgettable and yet there is something here that catches this era of musicals in a fun, easy watching way, that brings the stage to the screen.
½ February 8, 2011
24 hours in New York turns into a wild ride of girls, dance routines, and memorable songs. Munshin, Sinatra, and Kelly make an excellent trio. They blend well as a comedic triplet, but when they tell each other "I love you" it feels genuine and true. Sinatra perhaps shines the most as a sailor more interested in culture. Each guy encounters a fairly saucy girl. It's Frank's partner, an aggressive female cabbie, that steals most of the show. Her direct approach, and the brotherhood of the lead three make this more than just a guys getting some film. It's surprising to see an older film more progressive than many today. The dance routines are fascinating, even today, and the singing is just darn catchy. A treat for the eyes and ears.
½ October 29, 2010
Cheesy but cheerful, not really my kind of musical but it's still a lot of fun to watch. Worth watching just to watch how uncomfortable Frank Sinatra looks throughout! Oh, and the dames are pretty easy on the eye too!
½ June 5, 2006
First film to be film on location without control, in New York. Excellent in almost every way with songs like 'New York, New York', teaming the great Dancer Gene Kelly and the great singer Frank Sinatra.
June 17, 2008
The plot is simple: Three sailors strike out onto the streets New York to enjoy their 24-hour pass. But what follows is a perfect combination of comedy, dance and song. Flawless MGM musical from the golden age of Hollywood is an adaptation of a 1944 Broadway stage musical. The talent here practically jumps off the screen. In fact, the ensemble cast radiates so much camaraderie, you wish you were hanging out with these people in New York too. Thankfully, because of this musical, you can....for 98 minutes anyway. A joyous classic.
flixsterman
½ January 20, 2009
Similar to Anchors Aweigh only better, a LOT better. Goofy, corny and tremendously entertaining!
½ March 28, 2007
It's no Singing in the Rain, but boy is this fun. The cab driver trying to rape Sinatra is a highlight.
July 9, 2007
it's not bad actually, even though it is a little too much "musical" for the money...everybody's tryin' too hard
½ November 20, 2006
I can't say why this is a great movie, but it's fun and watching New York in the 40s is just mesmerizing...
July 9, 2006
Because I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my next netflix DVD, I must get my movie fix from old favorites kept safe on the bookshelf above my TV. If you may not have noticed, I am a musicals junkie. I watched this again last night and felt the same charge of energy I experienced the very first time I caught this movie on Turner Classics, many moons ago. Two years ago, my brother-in-law, who hails from Australia and now lives with my dear sister in London, was up late with me hoisting a few. As our bottle collection grew legion, he suddenly asked whether I might have any DVDs he may not have viewed. I got to my feet with not a little difficulty, took a rather circuitous route downstairs to my collection, puzzled over them for an inordinately long time, and finally hiked up the stairs with copies of On the Town, Muppets Treasure Island, and The Big Lebowsky. "Seen any of these?" I inquired? "No," he replied. "What are they about?" "Well," I said, "this one's a musical love story thing, this one's a muppet take on Robert Louis Stevenson, and this one's the Coen brothers' tribute to Jeff Bridges' personal wardrobe, to bowling, and to nihilism." "Hmmm," my bro-in-law pondered, "at this hour and after this many brews, you'd better pop in an easy one to digest." At the end of the movie, my silent co-viewer simply said, as the credits rolled, "Well, Lanning, I think I might not be adding this one to my list of all-time favorite musicals." Just recently I hear that my sister dragged her dear husband--though he apparently neither kicked nor screamed--to a London stage version of On the Town, and she tells me he "enjoyed it very much." Of course I have yet to hear this from him personally, and I do know he has access to both a telephone and to the internet, but I'll just assume he has forgotten to communicate to me his joy over seeing the stage version : ) I will grudgingly admit that On the Town may not be everyone's cup of tea. However, should you be a Kelly and/or Sinatra fan, then this is a must. And if you are a musicals addict like me, this should not be missed. My highest praise goes to Alice Pearce as Lucy Shmeeler. She is terrific as the "other" woman with a heart as big as the five boroughs New York City. P.S. My brother-in-law and I watched Lebowsky a few nights later, and he absolutely raved about it. So we do agree on some things :)
March 13, 2007
Completely and utterly silly musical. I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all; especially some of the songs. The odd situations, in addition to the charming cast, made for an enjoyable viewing experience; just be ready for something very, very weird.
Tecnoandre
May 16, 2010
A classic MGM musical with high mood for closing the day! What a rare pleasure.Great songs and dance scenes with New York by scenary.Delicious.
September 1, 2012
Vera Ellen's character is a "cooch dancer". What more do you need to know?
Honestly though, it's pretty hard not getting caught up in the naive fun of 'On the Town', which is definitely one of those films they just don't make em like anymore. The songs aren't particularly memorable beyond the catchy opening number but this movie really shines with its dancing in no doubt thanks to Gene Kelly's co-direction.
July 8, 2012
Stanley Donen's first musical is a foot-tapping, musical comedy that gives all its leads their chance to do their thing. This is one of those musicals that make you happy just because the characters are.

Grade: A-
½ March 29, 2012
½ January 24, 2011
Great fun... even if it didn't use any of the original score. Frank Sinatra is the man... even before he was "the man."
May 30, 2009
The current MGM DVD is abysmal; they need to re-release this in a properly shaded Technicolor print. This was the first of the truly great song and dance musicals from the Arthur Freed unit at MGM. It deserves far better.
February 6, 2009
They don't make them like this anymore, and there's a very specific reason for that, as audiences would not like it. Things change. Anyway, you have to respect Sinatra, or else he will kill you, even though he's dead.