Tobe Hooper Behind the Wheel of Stephen King's Buick 8

Director gets the keys from Moonstone and Amicus.

Just in time for the 25th anniversary of Poltergeist comes word that its director, Tobe Hooper, is plotting a horrorific return to theaters.

Variety reports that Hooper is attached to direct the feature adaptation of Stephen King's From a Buick 8, from a script written by Johnathon Schaech and Richard Chizmar. The film is being co-produced by Moonstone Entertainment and Amicus Entertainment. From the article:

"From a Buick 8" centers on a mysterious Buick stored in a state trooper barracks. After one of the troopers dies, his son becomes obsessed with the mysterious vintage automobile.

"From a Buick 8" will not be "your stock horror film by any means. There's a really cool, layered quality to the story," Hooper said. "The producers, writers and I shared the same sensibility about the project and responded to it in a similar way."

Buick isn't one of King's more...distinguished late-period works, but Hooper knows how to scare people, and it's been awhile since we've seen him do it on the big screen. Maybe this will be the project to bring him back.

Source: Variety

Comments

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.

Its great to see alot of King's work to be adapted into films. Its done better, then back in the 80's too!

Hopefully, they'll get "The Long Walk" rolling.

Oct 11 - 06:19 AM

Steve Perry

henry mcnulty

I loved the long walk but I dont see it working as a movie.

Oct 11 - 07:23 PM

Steve Perry

henry mcnulty

I loved the long walk but I dont see it working as a movie.

Oct 11 - 07:35 PM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

What do they mean by "distinguished"? Probably they mean, non-horror, like his Green Mile story, etc. From a Buick 8 was a great book, and I thought it did well in bookstores. It was just as good as any of his other later stuff.

Oct 11 - 06:32 AM

Missing Reel

Matt nj

I read the novel. It's not a "scary car" story by any means, but a very mature examination of how people deal with a constant and ultimately unknowable presence in their life. The focus is how long the mysterious car has sat at the police barracks and what of the characters lives it has seen or influenced, not all of which is horror. For all intensive purposes, the car isn't a car at all, but a physical portal and a symbol of guilt and harbored grief for those around it.

I hope the film adaptation doesn't collapse into a cheap monster movie (there are only one or two moments featuring unnatural beings). They should treat it as drama about a family of police officers and their one great, big X-file of a secret.

Oct 11 - 06:36 AM

scarh791

Tom Ivers

I was under the impression that Tobe Hooper was pulled from the director's chair on Poltergeist by Spielberg himself after only a few weeks. Apparently he thought Hooper's approach was too grim and didn't tackle the subject with a sense of awe or wonder like E.T. did extraterrestrials. I could be wrong, but I thought this was Hollywood legend.

Oct 11 - 09:02 AM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Well, I guess it's for the best, since George Romero will be directing Diary of the Dead II....

Oct 11 - 12:22 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm not sure how well this is going to adapt. The book is so cerebral and as I remember it lacks much action to hold movie goers attention. So much of the joy of it is Kings writing style. I mean the car sits in a garage the entire movie.

Oct 11 - 01:34 PM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

I agree. I just don't know how it's going to work. Love S. King's storytelling. He's the champ. But a movie out of this? I could see a movie out of Everything's Eventual. Oh well. Green Mile worked. This one just doesn't have a 'go-for-the-jugular' moment.

Oct 11 - 01:52 PM

damvbat

damv bat

im there dude

Oct 11 - 03:21 PM

ManofStee1

Alec G

"Buick isn't one of King's more...distinguished late-period works"

What the hell is that supposed to mean? King's a wonderful storyteller, and From a Buick 8 was a great book. A great book to adapt to a movie... well maybe not so much, but I'll be there on opening night most likely. The fight with the... well the fight at the end might be pretty freaky on film.

Oct 11 - 05:59 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

By later works they mean post-The Stand. As King admits there are a group of people who feel he could have stopped writing then and the world would not be much worse off. I disagree. While from Carrie to The Stand marks one of the greatest runs in literature and probably IS the defining part of Kings career (I might even expand that out to include IT and do consider The Gunslinger part of that period even though it might have been released afterward) there are still plenty of Gems in his "later" works. Notable for me Wizards and Glass, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, From a Buick 8 and Needful Things. In this case I think he's just a victim of his own success. When you start your career that brilliantly people come to expect every novel you put out to be better than the last and that's just not realistic. King is still King though and I think in a hundred years will be the author who defined his generation like we think of Hemingway or Dickens.

Oct 12 - 02:26 PM

slappy face

Francisco Tijerina

I was not impressed by this book at all. In fact I felt cheated. It wasnt scary or all that interesting. No satisfaction at all. Ive read quite a few King books and this one just seemed empty and phoned in. King books if not great are at least somewhat interesting. It was pretty boring. And Im sure the movie will be too. When King writes a good book it is sure to be made into a crappy movie, excusing Stand by me, Shawshank Redemption, and maybe Pet Semitary. Most of them stay so far from the books that it turns out to be not even the same stories. Major plot points are left out and taken in different directions Its all pretty disheartening as a King fan.

Oct 13 - 08:48 PM

Steve Perry

henry mcnulty

I loved the long walk but I dont see it working as a movie.

Oct 11 - 07:23 PM

Steve Perry

henry mcnulty

I loved the long walk but I dont see it working as a movie.

Oct 11 - 07:35 PM

Simsgil

Bob Gilbert

Didn't care for Buick 8 myself. Maybe the movie will work better. It happened that way for me with Christine. Let's get working on Bag of Bones.

Oct 12 - 03:28 AM

Oct 13 - 08:46 PM

slappy face

Francisco Tijerina

Oct 13 - 08:48 PM

woodboy747

matt woodruff

bigbrother, you are so right.

Jul 15 - 01:09 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer