63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Prince and the Pauper Reviews

KevinRobbins
February 28, 2014
There is either a mad prince or a beggar on the thrown.

Two little boys run into each other in the back yard of the palace. They decide it would be neat to switch places; the problem, one of the boys is the son of the King of England and the other is a poor boy. When the poor boy has to become the King of England because the king dies, their little game becomes complicated. Can the poor boy work with a local swordsman to find a way back to the throne?

"It may have happened. It may not have happened. But it could have happened."

William Keighley, director of The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Street with No Name, G Men, The Man Who Came to Dinner, Valley of the Giants, and The Match King, delivers The Prince and the Pauper. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold and very entertaining. The script is clever and well written and everyone delivers a solid performance. The cast include Errol Flynn, Alan Hale, Barton MacLane, Claude Rains, and Henry Stephenson.

"One day I'll have your head for calling me that; or maybe your feet, they're more in the way."

This is a movie I DVR'd because it starred the great Errol Flynn. I found the movie fun and was surprised he didn't join the film until it was two-thirds over. Overall, this is a very entertaining picture that is fun and can be enjoyed by the whole family. This is definitely a classic picture that is underrated.

"The king is dead."

Grade: B-
November 22, 2012
The Prince and the Pauper (1937) -- [7.5] -- Twins Billy and Bobby Mauch do very well as the title characters in this lavish production of Mark Twain's oft-told tale of mistaken identity. Claude Rains takes the role of villainy this time, playing an evil Earl who forces the beggar boy to be king for his own selfish gain, while Errol Flynn (at his dashing best) plays the soldier of fortune who helps the exiled prince to reclaim his throne. Beautifully photographed, with spectacular sets and a moving Korngold score, it's a film hard to resist.
September 7, 2012
Twain Classic, with Flynn in Support of the Mauch Twins--Good wholesome, adventurous fun for all ages!!
Rodschach
December 1, 2011
Muchas adaptaciones modernas y/ˇ animadas carecen de todo el esfuerzo que esta pelÝcula nos brinda, las actuaciones, los escenarios, los vestuarios, y la trama son de proporsiones colosales y muy bien aprovechadas.
samanthaseaotter
February 9, 2011
I'm sure I saw it as a kid but I sure can't remember it.
jam233
June 27, 2009
This is such an enjoyable and wonderful film. It may not be the most faithful adaptation of the book, but it is the most entertaining version. The Mauch twins do a fantastic job, Errol Flynn is at his dashing best and a stellar supporting cast, with Claude Rains giving an outstanding performance. Great story, good production, excellent art direction and costumes. A delight.
xxSLOANExx
March 16, 2007
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
kokikool
December 29, 2008
cole and dylan r soooooooo cute
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 26, 2008
Okay version of story, rather lifeless until Errol shows up but thats about an hour in and its rather precious up to that point.
November 14, 2007
It's okay. It was weird that Flynn comes in late in the movie with the attitude of "I'm the star!"
daddyi
November 14, 2007
dkncd
October 21, 2007
"The Prince and the Pauper" is based on Mark Twain's novel of the same name. The story is a hypothetical situation where Edward VI exchanges places with a beggar that resembles him as he is about to become King of England.

The Mauch twins, Bobby and Billy, skillfully play the roles of Edward VI and the beggar Tom Canty. Errol Flynn is well-cast as the dashing hero Miles Hendon, who comes to protect Edward when he's taken for a beggar. Claude Rains was a perfect choice to play his oft-reprised role of a conniving man grasping for power which he plays so well. Also notable are Alan Hale as the captain of the guard, Barton MacLane as Tom Canty's despicable father and Montagu Love as the counseling Henry VIII.

The story is not meant as history, but rather an examination of social disparities. Twain's social commentary is, as usual, mixed with his clever humor. The story moves along well with this mix as well as the machinations at court. The only part that seemed somewhat drawn out was the coronation ceremony.
majorpooky07
July 31, 2007
want to see it soooo bad
peter451
July 7, 2007
Saw the mickey mouse cartoon.
April 30, 2007
Errol Flynn is at his swahbuckling best!!!
SaintFrancisofAssisi
April 30, 2007
Not as good as some, loved the parts with Miles Hendon in them.
SEXYDSTUD
April 21, 2007
What a tremendous film... I was all set turn switch the tv off when this came on but instead became engrossed. Fabulous acting by all. A real treat for all ages..
tombowling49
February 23, 2007
This whimsical tale by the likes of errol flyn really flys for a movie of this caliber. It is well done and other re-makes of this movie would be even better.
tiggergreek
February 8, 2007
very good film everyone should watch this film
SarahJoyFrost
November 29, 2006
I'd like to see this movie!!