The Producers Reviews

½ June 21, 2011
Its a shame Mostel didn't have the chance to make more films with Wilder as they are such a fantastic pair more so than Wilder n Pryor even. Mostel was such a brilliant comedian with his facial expressions, heavy set movement and brilliant verbal skills, this Mel Brooks classic shows us this in every way.

The plot is actually very clever, simple but clever, but the way each and every character is formed and played out by the terrific cast is the key to the films genius. The whole film is basically quite insane, loony even, Mostel is like a cartoon character as he transforms from cunning to charming on a dime, then U-turns with in your face rants. Wilder's meek, clever and paranoid performance compliments the odd couple duo, very much the new Laurel n Hardy of the time if you will.

Brooks favourite choice Kenneth Mars is again in a role that is quite memorable as the shell shocked loyal Nazi whose love letter to Hitler becomes a surprise hit. His performance like everyone else is quite loony and in my opinion better than his character from 'Young Frankenstein', yet not as amusing as the two star leads.

The film is off the wall and almost comes across as a feature length 'Monty Python' sketch with some of the best crazy characters ever created. What also works so well are the sets and costumes used, everything is really quite down to earth and of its time. There doesn't appear to be anything fancy used or any large amounts of money spend. Its simply a great example of a character/plot driven film which is purely relying on the genuine skills of its cast, possibly a touch of improvisation.

Unlike other Brooks films as its actually kinda sensible, totally over the top and in your face with outrageous acting, but its not an out right spoof. It also still holds up perfectly well to this day and doesn't seem dated in a comedy sense, obviously the costumes and Nazi aspect are getting on a bit these days.

Easily some of the wildest and most unconventional comedy (and hair!) you will have seen for a long time, and its genius.
½ July 8, 2013
Mel Brooks' The Producers is an accomplished comedy classic that is superbly acted and directed. This is a funny and entertaining film that is pure comedy when comedy mattered and is a smart film in terms of it not relying on vulgar or obscene comedy bits that so many films of today rely on to try and make you laugh. Mel brooks has crafted a fine movie here, one that is highly entertaining from start to finish and its ridiculous plot make a film to treasure from film lovers that enjoy something truly entertaining humorous throughout. Brooks' work would be more elaborate as he would sharpen his skills as a director, but with The Producers is a work that showcases his talents and you can clearly see his talent in this impressive classic. I do believe that Brooks made better films, but with this one he splashed onto the movie making scene and just delivered something truly refreshing in terms of comedy. The cast here do a fine work and Gene Wilder is very funny and so is the rest of the cast. The idea behind the film is immaculate and very original. Mel Brooks has achieved something unique here, and this is a film that when first released had some unfair flack due to its content. But this is comedy that is effective and tasteful, and it deserves all the praise it has gotten since its initial release. With a great cast, fine direction and a highly thought out and hilarious script, Brooks has made a defining movie that reshaped comedy for years afterwards. If you enjoy smart comic relief and are tired of some bland comedies of today that often miss the mark, well this is a film guaranteed to entertain you. The Producers isn't perfect, but it is a film that is entertaining, fun and ridiculous and should be seen by cinema fans that enjoy these types of comedies.
Simply Cinema
February 7, 2011
I think we can all agree that Mel Brooks is one of the great greatest directors of comedy that has ever lived on this planet (I'm not ruling out life on other planets). Everyone knows of how good at making paradys he is. He has a great way at looking at the funny little things that entertain society so much. Most of the planet has probably seen "Spaceballs". But have those people seen "The Producers"? Well, maybe the musical, but what about the original? Before it became one of the broadway musicals that it originaly was mocking?

To those who haven't seen "The Producers", it is the tale of an unstabble accountant and a greedy broadway producer who discover that they can make more money with a broadway flop than with a broadway success. They go out to see if they can pull this skeem off, but they end up releasing one of the biggest broadway hits in history. A fantastic story, very creative and filled with opportunities to laugh. And you know what? Not only does it take advantage of all the opportunities to laugh, it gets ones you wouldn't even think of as an audience.

Another thing we have to consider is that this was Mel Brooks first movie. No director makes a hit so successful as this on his first go. Anyone who saw this when it was first released had to have known that this man was destined for greatness in film. He didn`t go cheap on this movie either. He got a fantastic cast including Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel. And he didn`t just get a great cast for the leads, but the smaller characters in it really were what made the film. Especially the characters of the man who wrought the play and the lead actor in the play, L.S.B. I couldn`t stop laughing when those guys where on screen. And who could forget Mel Brooks first cameo in one of his own films; a single line he sings, `Don`t be stupid, be a smarty! Come and join the Nazi Party!`. Good times, good times!

As for Wilder and Mostel, they were at they`re very best. They were living charactures of things hat were already hilarious. From the first time these characters meet each other, the audience knows they are going to have a real treat by watching these guys. But with these characters, it wasn`t just how funny they were, you really loved them. You felt lucky to be able to spend 2 hours with such interesting people. They were the kind of characters that revolutionized comedy film making for the world! They werent afraid to go over the top with the way they acted. They really just wanted to give everyone some of the greatest laughs of their lives! They didnt use some of the cliches that we see in comedy today, they invented their own!

Sometimes, we watch a film and we we finish we realize silently that this film is going to change everything for this film industry, and then you immediatly watch the film over again. If you have not watched this film yet, then what the hell are you doing! GO SEE IT, YOU IDIOT!!!!
December 7, 2011
A Broadway producer and his accountant team up to make a flop as part of a get-rich-quick scheme.
Maybe it's because this film is an oft-imitated classic, but I found much of the plot and gags to be predictable. Zero Mostel's performance was over-the-top, and even Gene Wilder occasionally abandoned his deadpan, "I'm in a room with a bunch of crazy people and I'm becoming one of them" demeanor to over-act as well.
I did enjoy a few moments: Wilder's "I'm hysterical, and I'm wet, and I'm in pain!" and "Springtime for Hitler" dance number.
Overall, I think if I were alive and watching this film in 1968, I would be raving about it.
September 8, 2007
One of Mel Brooks best, ably carried by Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, around the theme ( like the song ) There's No Business Like Show Business. Dated a bit but still noteworthy, still funny.
½ June 11, 2011
Mel Brooks's darkly comedic satire about both Broadway (specifically) and the film industry (broadly), despite beinng a bit dated, is very funny, and a great film. The story concerns a producer and his accountant who come up with a scheme/scam to make a huge profit by creating a production that should be a guaranteed flop. Everything comes unraveled though, when their scheme not only backfires, but does so in a big way.

This was quite a ballsy, audacious, and shocking film when it first came out. Some of that has lessened over time, but not a whole lot. This film is still rather strong at raising eyebrows, mostly because the audience wonders how such a story ever got made, especially because the play that gets put on is a comedy about Hitler.

The performances and casting are brilliant. Mostel and Wilder have great chemistry, and each is the true embodiment of his respective role. Kenneth Mars and Dick Shawn are also quite hilarious, as is the bulk of the film- which deals out heaps of ethnic and sexual orientation based humor, as well as some slapstick, farce, and just over the top nuttiness.

All of the shock value isn't for nothing though. This is a very smart film, and it's quite well made. Some of the specifics are dated, and a few of the jokes go on for a but too long, but this is nonetheless an amazing and hilarious film that is a really scathing satire that both entertains and promotes discussion.
July 12, 2011
Only Mel Brooks could have directed nymphomaniac old ladies to such outstanding results. "Springtime for Hitler" is a masterpiece of musical political incorrectness
April 29, 2007
Extremely funny, if not a bit dated. This isn't the usual Mel Brooks fare with over-the-top silly slapstick, although some slapstick is involved. For my money, this is the best incarnation of this story. Very irrevrent, even for today, it can also be equally offensive in a Mel Brooks sort of way. This may not equal to Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein type quality, but it's a comedy farce rarely seen.
February 18, 2011
When it comes to films, the most difficult genre to work with is Comedy and, with most cases, Comedies become repulsive, immature, and above all else: very bad films. But, once in a while, a actual Comedy is birthed. And who else other then Mel Brooks is their to make this film? The script is naturally hilarious as it becomes a satire for the world of Hollywood and shows how desperate some people are in order to make money that are in debt. Mel Brooks is great in comedy, and he makes a film that is up there with the legendary Marx Brothers. Acting wise, well, what can be said? Zero Mostel (known for acting as Tevye in "Fiddler On The Roof") and Gene Wilder (known for portraying Willy Wonka in the original "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory") Give outstanding performances as they try to put on the worst Broadway Flop in history. The acting from the rest of the crew is beyond perfect as they make every character their own. The score to the film is great. While most of it is at the end during the performance of "Springtime For Hitler" (watch the film to understand), it is funny, keeps you laughing till you hurt, and is just enjoyable. The direction of the film is very fast paced. This is one of those films that goes by like a speeding train: You do not take time to watch, you will miss something. Overall, this is a very funny film that, while crude, does not get stupid.
October 29, 2006
A neurotic accountant is conned by a seedy smalltime producer into helping him create a surefire Broadway flop to cheat their backers out of their money. Mel Brooks is best known for his scattershot genre spoofs, but The Producers is far more of an old school farce in the sixties tradition. Zero Mostel absolutely owns this film as Max Bialystock, the bastard child of Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont and every moment he is on the screen is comedy gold; particularly with Wilder as his straight man. But by far the most hysterical moment of the film is the opening number of "Springtime For Hitler" which still makes me roar EVERY time! Much of the film that does not involve Mostel is rather dated (Dick Shawn's contribution in particular) and whenever he is not on the screen feels like time wasted, but it's worth it for the play's title song alone (not to mention Lee Meredith. Ay caramba...) This and Blazing Saddles basically justify every duffer Brooks has made since.
September 5, 2010
I love this movie, it's one of my favourite 60s musicals ever. The cast is fantastic, I love Wilder's performance especially. This movie is hilarious, and I highly recommend it.
October 19, 2010
I never thought I would ever be so bored watching a Movie which is directed by Mel Brooks, I guess there is always a first time. There is NOT A SINGLE or a TINY PART OF THIS MOVIE that made me even smile.
April 4, 2010
You can't beat the original, no matter how many musical numbers you add. This pairing is the best out there next to Wilder and Pryor.
½ June 9, 2007
The first time I saw this years ago, I was disappointed. I was a fan a Brook's Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, and I expected this to be in the same vein. As most everyone knows, it's not, hence the disappointment. But now I can appreciate it on its own merits. That being said, I'm still not sure I really like it that much.

The film does have its moments -- the Busby Berkeley-style musical number with the dancers forming a swastika is both shocking and hilarious, Mostel's scenes with the old lady investors are a scream, and Mostel and Wilder work well together -- but I just don't laugh at it like I think I should. Could be because it's terribly dated, and I'm not a fan of Dick Shawn's LSD character.

On the good side, it's a film I don't mind watching again and again, and it seems to get better every tiime I see it. And it's miles ahead of the totally unnecessary remake with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. When are people going to realize that remakes are to make mediocre films better, not turn good films into crap?
January 25, 2007
although the movie is about a musical, this film is often wrongly classified as being a musical itself. its more of a strait comedy featuring mel brooks usual style of mixing goofy humor with subtle and dry humor. gene wilder is great as always and the film has just enough charm to make it a solid watch.
August 24, 2006
January 27, 2007
This is seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Screaming unfunny lines does not magically make them funny.
½ June 5, 2008
Mel Brooks made his directorial debut in this film about a sleazy Broadway producer (Zero Mostel) and a neurotic accountant (Gene Wilder) who devise a scheme to make a fortune by putting on a play that's a bomb. The title? Springtime for Hitler.

Hilarity ensues throughout The Producers with the opening sex games Mostel has to play with elderly women for checks to Kenneth Mars deranged portrayal as the writer of Springtime for Hitler. This is one of those classic comedies that doesn't get old and stands as the introduction of the wit of Mel Brooks.
May 18, 2008
An unscrupulous producer (Zero Mostel) and a neurotic accountant (Gene Wilder) team up in a scheme to produce a flop Broadway play and pocket the investment. This witty farce with a bizarre cast of characters is nothing like the uneven (if sometimes hilarious) genre spoofs for which Mel Brooks later became known.
½ May 27, 2007
"I'm in pain! And I'm wet! And I'm still hysterical!" The good parts were brilliantly hilarious, while the bad parts were awful. It went up and down so many times I got really confused but overall I still liked it.