Prom Night Reviews

June 28, 2015
Weak slasher film does feature the original scream queen, Jamie Lee Curtis, but not much else. The set up is kind of like "I Know What You Did Last Summer" where a group of kids accidentally kill a friend causing her to fall out a high window. Several years later the same group of friends are now getting ready for their high school prom and a masked killer is stalking those responsible for their friend's untimely death. There is a bit of a who-done-it to the story along with the various killing, so it's not an unstoppable killer type of slasher film, but it's definitely a body count movie. Unfortunately, it's not a very clever, original or even very well made of one. Something like "The Burning" is even better than this. Leslie Nielsen also appears in the film, who is now impossible to take seriously after "The Naked Gun" films. Overall, this slasher film was pretty dull until the ending where it finally stared coming to life.
May 27, 2015
Um terceiro ato cheio de perseguições interessantes e uma boa revelação que realmente me surpreendeu. Infelizmente, os dois primeiros atos enfraquecem o filme com cenas de mistério e suspense que acabam entediando um pouco.

Este slasher filme indiretamente demonstra a importância de termos ao menos uma vítima do serial killer nos primeiros 30 minutos do filme.
June 21, 2006
Scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis stars in this gore-filled slasher film about a killer out for revenge against some teenagers on the night of their prom.
½ March 26, 2015
No, this movie really isn't that good.
October 2, 2008
Leslie Nielsen in a serious role.
½ April 11, 2014
The movie starts slow and especially drags in the middle act, the story is well thought out however with developing the characters and setting the story. Performances were all around modest to great, the standouts definitely were Jamie Lee Curtis, Leslie Nielsen, Eddie Benton, Casey Stevens and Michael Tough. Not all characters were exactly likeable or interesting but the cast did a great job. The screenplay felt fresh even though one can easily call it a rip-off from classics in the horror genre like Carrie and Halloween. The death scenes were very creative and a particular chase scene was very well executed. The final act was truly brilliant and very fun. The disco scenes were perfect yet hilarious and the soundtrack was easily one of the stronger and most memorable aspect of this 1980 slasher. The killer felt very human to me even though it could've been handled better, the killer reveal was surprising and gave the movie a shocking but dramatic twist ending. For me the ending worked good as it ended like a drama. The first hour of the movie plays out like a mystery/crime but the final act definitely gives slasher fans something to chew on and then some. Paul Lynch did a great job directing this film, the detail to color is stunning and the 80's style is terrific. Its really flawed at parts and there needed to be more tension in the middle act but I still appreciated and enjoyed this 1980 slasher for what it was. Some of the police scenes should've been left out as they lead to nowhere and only filled the running time. Also more detail to the dialogue would've been pleasant. Still this 1980 slasher is MUCH better and superior to the godawful 2008 remake by name only. Highly recommend it to the die-hard slasher fans, this is one slasher you have to have seen at least once. I've seen much better slashers though...
January 4, 2015
It's pretty generic and takes a long time setting things up, and it's bad... but oh so good too! I don't know what it is that I enjoyed about this movie so much. I think it's the fascination with all the disco and the late 70s/early 80s look. This is like opening up a time capsule from a time long forgotten. The disco soundtrack and the random dance number helps elevate this movie a bit.

It's still a generic slasher, and it takes a long time to get going when you consider how predictable the entire thing is. Anyone could see who the killer ends up being. I also found it funny how Leslie Nielsen just sort of disappears the last 20 minutes. Maybe I missed something, but he was just... gone.

Worth checking out for slasher aficionados and those who love disco!
December 9, 2010
There were parts that were a bit too reminiscent of "Halloween" (and maybe a little bit of "Carrie") but overall it was pretty good.
½ June 25, 2014
One of the many horror films made to immediately cash in on the success of Halloween, Prom Night isn't exactly your average slasher flick. It takes plenty of time to build up it's characters, to the point that the movie is kind of slow. But in doing so, the movie actually makes the characters feel like real people, and not just like dumb, horny, partying teenagers like in most slashers. It isn't until after an hour in that any type of mayhem ensues, and even when it gets there it isn't particularly heavy on violence. Prom Night doesn't hold up that well as far as being scary goes, but still would be worth a watch for fans of the genre.
May 9, 2008
nice twist at the end a classic slasher
½ March 31, 2012
Prom Night is a movie that helped to solidify Jamie Lee Curtis' status of Scream Queen in the 1980's. There was a period wherein she did a few slasher movies back to back and people were driving up to see them over and over again at their local drive-ins. This one started the trend of slasher movies wherein somebody took revenge after something horrible happened to them in their youth. The movie also has a couple of other familiar faces, including Leslie Nielsen and Anne-Marie Martin (from the great cult show Sledge Hammer). For such a legendary horror movie, it certainly has a lot going for it. Because of its destination story-wise being a prom, it reminds me quite strongly of Carrie. The diffused look of the movie combined with a fun disco soundtrack and some great camera work make up for a mostly bland and uninteresting slasher movie. It has its charms, but overall, it's just a notch above mediocre.
½ June 13, 2014
This movie sucked!! There is nothing more I can say about it. It was just awful!!
March 6, 2014
Prom Night gets a decent 10/10.
½ February 24, 2014
När Leslie Nielsen släpper loss på dansgolvet till sen 1970-tals-discomusik är det svårt att ta filmen för den slasherrysare den är tänkt att vara. Prom Night är en Halloween-ripoff med Saturday Night Fever-inslag, men med samma huvudrollsinnehavare (Jamie Lee Curtis) som nämnda skräckklassiker. Framför allt klippningen, ljussättningen och tajmingen är betydligt sämre än i Carpenters film, och dessutom inleds mordkavalkaden på skolbalen på tok för sent. Nämnde Carpenters stämningsuppbyggande musik tar dessutom hem en jordskredsseger över Prom Nights löjeväckande discorajtantajtan, som ackompanjerar den tamaste (och kortaste) slutuppgörelse som har skådats i slashersammanhang.
June 21, 2007
Classic! The best scene of the entire film is when Slick hits the killer in the face, sending him head over heels!!! Although, I don't understand....how did the Scream Queen end up in a horror film where she doesn't scream?
October 5, 2011
John Carpenter's "Halloween" was a landmark in horror cinema, and inspired many slasher copycats in following years. One of those copycats was "Prom Night," which also happened to star Jamie Lee Curtis in its leading role. Even though this film doesn't establish any sort of identity outside of just being a "Halloween" knock-off, it's a slightly better movie than you might think.

The movie takes place-of course-on the day of a high school prom, which also happens to be the anniversary of little Robin Hammond's death; four other kids-Wendy, Nick, Kelly and Jude-were teasing her during a game of hide and seek in an abandoned convent, which resulted in her falling out of a two-story window. The kids have never spoken of it since, but now they're getting threatening phone calls, while a sex offender wrongly convicted for Robin's death has escaped from prison. Soon enough, there's a body count.

Not soon enough, though. Nearly the first hour of the movie is just the antics that take place prior to a prom. Who's going with who, what's everyone going to wear, who's going to lose their virginity, whatever. Occasionally, it's interrupted with scenes of Nick's father Lt. McBride (George Touliatos) investigating the offender's disappearance, believing he might be on his way to the prom. This actually raises a pretty good question for the viewer. We know he didn't kill Robin, so does that mean he's going to kill the others, or is something else altogether happening?

Now how about the characters? Jamie Lee Curtis plays Robin's sister Kim, and as you might expect, she plays her quite well. It's not the same as her Laurie Strode character, by any means; she's much more spunky and out-going. She's much more involved in what's going on throughout the movie; she has a lot more to do than just babysit. Curtis is basically the driving point of the whole movie; director Paul Lynch had a hard time even getting the movie financed until she signed on. Leslie Nielsen does a dramatic turn as her father, also the principal of the high school; he actually does pretty well too. He's done good dramatic roles in his career in films like "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Creepshow."

The rest of the cast is okay, if not particularly memorable. You have your typical weirdoes along with your typical assholes; I'm looking at you, Wendy (Anne-Marie Martin) and Lou (David Mucci). You see, Kim is going to prom with Nick (Casey Stevens). Wendy used to go out with him, so she asks out Paul the rebel so they can embarrass them...God, we're doing this crap again? To be fair, I suppose the motivation is a little stronger here than in "Carrie." But am I really describing something that teenagers would gossip about?

The story has almost no originality; I may as well say that. Setting the events on prom night is obviously borrowed from "Carrie," the phone calls were prominent in "Black Christmas," the masked killer is right out of "Haloween," even the whole "kids accidentally killing someone and then vowing to cover it up" scenario was the theme in "I Know What You Did Last Summer." The movie was years away, but the novel it was based on came out before. But I've always tried to go with the concept that it doesn't always matter if the story is original or not; what does matter is the execution. In this one, it's not really executed that badly. The story has plenty of mystery, and the scenes where the killer attacks are crafted quite well.

But let's jump to the climax, where all the violence happens. With an ax his weapon of choice, the killer in the mask kills off Kelly and Jude (they had almost no real role in this movie, did they?) before killing Wendy after a chase. Then he tries to kill Nick as he's named Prom King along with Kim as Queen, but he cuts off Lou's head instead. A pretty good duel ensues between the killer, Kim and Nick, even if there's some really lame music to go with it.

Then we get our big final act twist. It turns out the killer is Alex (Michael Tough), Kim and Robin's brother. I have to say, it's actually set up pretty well; giving someone else entirely plausible motivation but then revealing it was actually somebody else. But I also love how there's no clichéd lines of "How could you?" "Why are you doing this?" or "They deserve it," etc. It's just a silent stare between Alex and Kim, the realization dawning on Kim's face, and the horror in Alex's under the mask. As he runs outside the gym, gets shot by police and dies in Kim's arms, it's a genuinely emotional moment. I can hardly believe it, but it's true.

So even if "Prom Night" isn't particularly memorable, it's really not a bad movie. It actually became one of those horror franchises that nobody really knew about. In the 1980s and 90s, "Halloween," "Friday the 13th" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" dominated the horror movie scene, but "Prom Night" had the occasional crappy sequel just like the others. But we'll get to those another day; until then, this movie is good for a little time-killer, but there isn't a huge amount of replay value.
February 14, 2014
While "Prom Night" drags at times, it's still fun, cheesy 80's horror with an actually creepy killer, a super-corny but hilarious "Saturday Night Fever"-like dance number, another likeable heroine in Jamie Lee Curtis, and a monster of a decapitation.
December 10, 2013
It is understandable that this film garnered a cult following, despite it's cult status, I believe the film was overrated. I'd still give it credit for being an early slasher film though. The story centred around 4 kids who accidentally caused the death of one of their friends when they were still kids, now a killer began killing each one of them on the prom night to avenge the girl. There wasn't much to watch out for, Jamie Lee Curtis was surprisingly a good dancer! The chasing scene of one of the girls with the killer was entertaining. Overall, the film bored its audience for 50 minutes before anything actually happened.
October 19, 2013
If you don't know who the killer is by the end of this movie your an idiot
½ July 18, 2012
It's a very good film overall that's fun to watch, with a surprisingly intriguing premise. The acting is also pretty good, and the characters actually have some personality (with Jamie Lee Curtis arguably being the least-distinct in my opinion). Leslie Nielson is a treat to watch, even in a small (but top-billed) role, but my favorite performances are probably from Eddie Benton and Joy Thompson. Sheldon Rybowski was decent too, but the rest of the boys were so forgettable. The plot moves very slowly, but gets exciting once it moves to the prom, and the twist ending (and the fact that the real killer is a surprise) is interesting and ties to the pretty sad backstory. The chase scenes are exciting and one character's death (won't spoil, but it's near the very end) is pure gold. The Canadian disco music is also pretty good, if a bit cheesy, and fits the movie well. Overall, while the film isn't terribly memorable, it's superior and more creative than most slasher films of the period, and I recommend it for horror/slasher fans.