Risky Business Reviews

August 26, 2015
Lo que todas las american teen movies pretenden ser... no se bien por qué, tiene un comienzo interesante pero el final acaba con la moral humana.
November 13, 2012
One of, if not the best, teen film of the 80's this movie isn't your average teen flick. Unlike the Hughes films which simplified things so teens could get them this appeals to many groups and is smart, stylish, and subtle. It's dark yes but it's enjoyable and you connect well with the characters. We have all been like Joel in our lives: confused, restless, afraid of adulthood, and determined. He goes through a complete manhood experience in the period of the film. He is finally a man by the end not a teen anymore.

The score is outstanding (prob the best of the 80's, if not the best one of the best anyways,) and mixed with the song soundtrack it fits very well. The writing and dirrecting is very sharp and it's well cast. Tom and Rebecca are excellent as are the other well known supporting actors.

You can't have an 80's film or teen film marathon without watching this one. If you have never seen it your in for a treat.
July 31, 2015
Overall, an entertaining, hilarious, and stylish movie about a young man's departure from innocence. The score was superb during every scene. Joel's transition was portrayed masterfully during his experiences with the effectively complicated Lana.
July 15, 2015
Halfway graduate, halfway ferris bueller; it makes a star out of a young Tom Cruise.
June 22, 2015
Tom Cruise becomes a pimp when his parents leave him home alone on vacation. And it's a fun time to see his transformation from nervous virgin to cocky pimp!
May 17, 2015
The Graduate for the consumer-obsessed 80s; it struggles with tone but is very funny when intended. The stuff that really works here are the small things that capture the neurotic minutia of the high school experience. A decent little teen dramedy that doesn't quite live up to its most iconic moments.
April 23, 2015
Your parents are gone for the week, what do you do? Well call a prostitute over sounds nice! This film shows us all the crazy things that can happen when you have the house to yourself. With all those great comedic opportunities, this film didn't take advantage of enough of them. Tom Cruise is great in this movie and he has his nerdy comic relief friends, his dad's Porsche, and a prostitute with him. This could be comedic gold. Unfortunately, the only time I really laughed was at the famous scene of Tom Cruise dancing around his house to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock N' Roll" A couple chuckles here and there but nothing hysterical. Although it's not as funny as I'd hoped, It still is an enjoyable movie. It's always fun to see a young Tom Cruise act.
August 18, 2014
I like that old time rock n' roll!
April 11, 2015
A darkly funny coming of age comedy that made Cruise a star.
½ June 29, 2014
This will likely be a controversial choice seeing as how nobody here ever talks about this movie. But, I first saw this at...err...let's say the exact early age that you'd first fully appreciate Rebecca De Mornay naked and getting fucked on a staircase. Now, clearly it's not on my list for that reason alone...but it certainly helps. Now, the movie itself is a great story of shaking loose the shackles of parental rules and your own inhibitions and letting loose and finding yourself. His innocence and naivety are consistently trampled by his friends, De Mornay, and Guido the Killer Pimp. A blowout sex party wraps up this wild movie, and Joel eventually graduates from adolescence by realizing that sometimes "you just have to say what the fuck....and make your move". Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay both are excellent in their breakout roles, and a strong supporting cast and script land this movie in my top 100.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ February 24, 2015
I only watched this to see what Tom Cruise was like at the beginning of his career. There are a few funny and clever moments, but on the whole it gets a bit bogged down in melodrama and drags for too long.
February 11, 2015
This early Tom Cruise film is one that not enough Tom Cruise fans have seen, and that's a shame..While I don't think it's as funny and sharp as some claim it to be, I like it quite a bit. I found it to be funny, realistic, unrealistic, outrageous, and dirty. Sometimes all at the same time! It's just an all-around good movie!
½ January 26, 2015
"You know, Bill, there's one thing I learned in all my years. Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the fuck, make your move.""

Few films encapsulate the 80's as accurately as Risky Business, a film which feels hollow and predictable. In what I assume has been discussed by everyone already, Risky Business feels like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, except lacking in the fun, size and vitality that Day Off featured. Sure, the latter came three years after, but what it did it did better. Risky Business spells out its thematic material as blatantly as possible, and never encapsulates the same kind of jubilant energy that is wishes it could provide. That, and it's corny as one could possibly imagine. Tom Cruise's "starmaking" turn as character Joel Goodsen (seriously? You want to change that "e" to an "o" so that you could make that character's intentions and personality even more blatant?), is both entertaining for small durations, but never harboring as much fun as it wants to. So I go against the pack, and untroubled by the fascinating power of nostalgia, I attempt to uncover the meaning and issues behind Risky Business!

Ecstatic when his parents leave on vacation for a few days, high school senior Joel Goodsen (Tom Cruise) cuts loose with his best friend Miles. After an attempt at securing the services of a prostitute goes slightly awry, Joel hires gorgeous Lana (Rebecca De Mornay) for a night of delight. Stunned by the amount of Lana's "bill" the next morning, Joel grows frantic after he crashes his father's Porsche. In an effort to raise lots of money fast, a desperate Joel turns the house into a brothel. Courtesy of Google.

The first issue prevalent is one that presides in numerous films which feature social commentary on the desire to say "What the fuck", or be different; the emptiness of the locations. It works in a film like American Beauty because of the weird, wonderful and wacky personalities of the characters, and the screenwriter's intentions as to where to take them. The pristine quality of the modern suburbia has always irritated me, for its perfectly cut grass and sheer whiteness seems just too perfect. I prefer the noise of the city, or the imperfect nature of the countryside (pun intended). When a film like Gone Girl or American Beauty tackles the subject of suburbia and its misleading quality, I expect a certain emptiness of frame and character. That feature is overloaded within Risky Business. There aren't many cars driving on the roads, the characters acts unnervingly unnatural and rigid, the extras aren't high in abundance, and the world doesn't live or breathe. It's stagnant and neutral, a lifeless backdrop for the events and character of the picture.

If only those events and characters were enthralling. Joel Goodsen is dreadfully boring and predictable, his entire personality stilted. It's not necessarily Tom Cruise's fault, as he is relegated to performing a certain screenplay written by a separate individual; this certain individual, Paul Brickman, who is also the director, gives a repetitive nature to the feeling of this lead protagonist. He strives to be good, but he ends up doing irresponsible things in irresponsible situations, some of them completely lacking in sense or meaning. And he does this over and over again; he has no conviction at all, unlike Ferris Bueller, who at least understands his motivations. The supporting cast is just as irritable, Rebecca De Mornay as Lana proving as frigid as the prior character, but I think this is more down to Mornay's performance, which again, doesn't feel fluid or natural. Perhaps the only truly impressive supporting performance here comes from Joe Pantoliano (who I've been seeing a lot of as of late, thanks to Memento and now this), whose performance as pimp Guido is somewhat commendable. He at least sounds human when delivering his lines, unlike much of the rest of the cast who enunciate everything with melodrama and over-dramatic facial expressions.

Risky Business' main attraction is its visual comedy, quotes and memorability, that of which there is much. I could also slot Tangerine Dream's nostalgic score under those banners as well, as it's so laughably dated. There are some great moments throughout, namely the dance scene (which I don't need to spell out for you, I'm guessing), the multiple sex scenes (which are surprisingly intimate for such a film as this, and perhaps the only times when Goodsen and Lana seem like real human beings) which also happens to possess some kick-ass songs backing them, and a few jokes here and there which spell out the visual comedy ability of the director and writer. I'm not a huge fan of "In The Air Tonight", but for some reason, perhaps the volume, it just works in this context.

I mean, none of these are predominant enough to render a positive rating, but they're certainly stuff to think on. They even form a somewhat entertaining canvas for a film not as impressive as it desires to be. It's not a horrible film, per se; I'm not denouncing this popular piece of nostalgia as overrated drivel, like Aaron's absolutely beautiful write-up for Home Alone, found here, but I don't believe this is worthy of either the critical acclaim, or the fan-base that is possesses either. It's just not that good. I mean, it's fine in terms of editing and cinematography, but nothing ever really stands out, apart from some impressive POV sequences. Risky Business is just there, wavering within the dangerous abyss that lies between dated and relevant/nostalgic, and whilst many would prefer it to swing to the latter side, I can't help but feel that the film is far more grounded in its time than a modern classic like American Beauty, which transcends release date and maintains consistent value, no matter how dated the technology depicted may feel. That film is universal; this is not. Risky Business is business I'd rather not engage in every again, despite my initial investment.

"Say "what the fuck."... If you can't say it, you can't do it."
½ January 17, 2015
It's an entertaining comedy of an innocent high school student entering the world of adults e.g. money and women. Tom Cruise was 21 years when the movie was released. He looks young and fresh but has many of his moments which leads series of his big success afterwards. Rebecca De Mornay is also making good job.
December 24, 2014
A movie with a satire that says everything about loss of innocence and materialism.
May 29, 2014
I didn't like Risky Business when I first saw it but it does have some merit in the teen sex sub genre of 80's movies. You have to enjoy Curtis Armstrong, as I do.
½ December 20, 2014
Classic 80's coming of age flick. Put Tom Cruise on the map. Oft quoted dialogue.
August 6, 2014
Surprisingly dark for a teen movie with Tom Cruise, Risky Business also has something most teen movies lack. A sense of maturity.
November 13, 2014
Though it boosted Tom Cruise's career and gave us the iconic rock'n'roll underwear dance scene, 'Risky Business' is an over glorified portrait of American teen pop culture which has long since lost its place as valued topic of comedy.