Rocky

90% Outlander: Season 1

Rocky Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

January 1, 2010
With an exceptional script, exceptional acting, several iconic sequences (the stairs scene), and the classic use of "Gonna Fly Now," Rocky is an affecting, moving film that keeps you cheering on Stallone throughout its entirety.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
The story of a boxer who is living in an old run-down apartment, with very little money, until someones rings his bell with a chance at the title! Going through life changing moments, falling for a girl, going through training, hard times and unrelentless power, Rocky is one of the best films of the 70's. Sylvestre Stallone gives the best performance of his career and truly makes himself a believable boxer at heart! I have never thought I would love a boxers life journey so much, but here I have to give it more credit that any boxing movie ever made. With magnificent direction, great editing, a well-told story, and Stallone at his very best, "Rocky" is fantastic!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
Back in the day this was a great movie, but after the number of Rocky movies made and the other Sylvester Stallone movies that have bombared us over the years. It kills me to pay top dollar for cable and still see movies like Rocky and First Blood played all the time. Stallone took to many mpunches to the head and to much white powder up his nose, 1/2 star 6-11-07
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
It's really amazing believe that Sylvester Stallone had made such a great screenplay and stunning performance. Rocky proves that not all action macho it's just a strong men that fight against bad guys in comercial movies, but sometimes are pretty good writers and actor. Dispite the predictable plot and story and the sentimentalism, Rocky still is impressive and make us review the unforgettable American 70's cinema.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
A brilliant portrayal of the nature of opportunities in the unlikeliness of places. Rocky is a brilliant motion picture epitomized by sensational performances from its actors. Though the story is somewhat easy to unfold, the film does well in presenting a grand story of a true underdog. 4.5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 28, 2012
Rocky is a solid boxing drama that is probably when of the best boxing films ever made. Not only is that but this probably one of the best films that Sly has ever done. Although nowadays boxing films are almost a cliché, Rocky still remains a classic because it was one of the first fight films to feature an underdog character. That to me is something that cannot be duplicated. No matter how many boxing films have come after Rocky, this film along with Raging Bull is still the standard boxing dramas, and the ones that are truly worth seeing. Rocky is a brilliant film that is a definite classic, and if you really want to watch the inspirational film, pick up this one. The film features a brilliant performance by Sylvester Stallone, who delivers as Rocky Balboa. Like I previously stated, this is the film to watch if you want a terrific sports drama. What makes Rocky so special is the fact that it was made when Sports dramas were minimalistic in the sense that they didn't really have them back then. Nowadays it seems that every year there's some sort of drama and 95% of time it's about boxing. Rocky is a true original, and no matter how many films have come after it trying to duplicate its formula, there can be only one, and it's Rocky. The story is terrific, the acting incredible and the directing is terrific. No wonder it has stood the test of time, and it's refreshing no matter how many times you've seen it, and no matter how many films try to duplicate its underdog story. If you want the classic original underdog, Rocky Balboa is his name.
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

June 24, 2012
Stallone is an Oscar-nominated screenwriter. Think about that for a second.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 3, 2011
 Apollo's Trainer: He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!

"His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

Rocky is a beloved underdog classic. The name itself has become synonymous with sheer willpower. Sure it is one big cliche and the main theme has been done a million times, but there is something to be said for a movie that can pull you in like this one does. We know what to expect from the very outset with Rocky aka The Italian Stallion. He is a dumb, poor, low rent boxer who fights other no name boxers for very little money. He also collects for a loan shark on the side. We know we are supposed to grow to love this dumb guy who talks too much. The success of the film relies on us being able to love this character. So based purely on that, I like the film. Every time I watch it, I laugh at the stupidity of some of the scenes, like when Rocky is walking and does his little air punch routine; but I always love the character by the end.

Rocky gets his shot at the title when Apollo Creed hand picks him because of the nickname The Italian Stallion. He knows the name will sell, just as he knows that the underdog story will sell. Rocky isn't so much a sports film, as it is a story of a man who finally gets a chance in life. It's also a little play on the American dream, as Rocky has a chance to make it big when just yesterday he had absolutely nothing. Stallone also throws in a nice, if slightly awkward, love story. Stallone's screenplay explores a lot of themes and none of them are original by any means, but somehow he still pulls everything into a  well executed film.

The popularity of Rocky is pretty crazy. You can't go a week without seeing it on television. Its appeal with men is also ridiculous. It has grown to be included in the genre of the guy movies. It's one of those films every guy must see, and most have. The ones that haven't would never admit it either; they just forgot about the scene you are talking about. The movie hasn't aged as well as one would hope, and it's easy to find problems with it now, but still I have troubles saying anything bad about the film.

In reality this film isn't nearly as good as a lot of people say it is. It isn't a masterpiece and if you think it is, you're wrong. It's highly overrated; that's just a fact. Still, I have to say I like it more than I should. There's something about the movie that draws you in and makes you unable to hate it, when in reality you should. What did this movie add to the underdog story? Nothing, yet everything.
Tyler R

January 20, 2012
It's simply one of the greatest movies of all time and the greatest of all sports movies. Sylvester Stallone gives his greatest performance ever, Burgess Meredith was amazing as Mickey, Burt Young, Carl Weathers and Talia Shire are all great as well. The theme to this movie is that you'll always win in life as long as you have enough passion and faith. This film revolutionized how we as an audience percieve the story of an underdog. The acting is great, the plot is inspiring, the fight scenes are very realistic and it's a classic tale of inspiration.
Jason S

December 26, 2006
He lost?
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
THE sports movie. Unbeatable.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
Rocky is a lifechanging boxing movie that will be in your heart forever. Its the story of Rocky Balboa who is a small time boxer who gets the chance to make it big when he must fight boxing champion Apollo Creed. The plot is not just a simple boxing film, this movie has a great theme that it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, but either way you win in life, andI truly respect that about the movie. The cast in incredible, easily Sylvester Stallones best role to date, and everyone else was just incredible. The boxing scenes were also very well done and very enjoyable, they were great. Rocky will likely be remembered as one of the greatest boxing movies ever, and it is one of the best boxing movies ever, and I loved it.
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
This movie is the reason why Sylvester is my #1 favorite actor. Not only did he have great acting in this movie, he had the coolness factor, and was SO CUTE!!! Just a great movie. I love it so much! :) A great way to celebrate the aniversary. :) Love it! :) Everyone should see this movie!!! :) :) :)
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
I'm not going to lie...I didn't see what the big deal was. A very good film, but completely overrated!
michael e.
michael e.

May 26, 2011
its okay but somewhat boring
Jennifer X

May 26, 2007
After finally seeing Rocky, I'm shocked by how dated and horrible this movie is. I watch a lot of sports movies, and this one definitely ranks at the bottom.
garyX
garyX

October 20, 2006
A simple-minded but good natured nickel and dime prize fighter is given a shot at the title by the overconfident champion as a publicity stunt. The original Rocky is another example of a film that has become overshadowed by its legacy, and the franchise has become a glowing example of everything that's wrong with the studio system. The increasingly laughable and simplistic sequels ignored everything that was good about the original, which was really a story of the underdog who is given a chance at self respect and escape from his hope-free existence. Balboa was obviously influenced by Terry Malloy from On The Waterfront and Stallone's acting talents are clearly well suited to this shambling, self conscious and inarticulate character; the dialogue is repetitive and ineloquent, but that actually makes it more realistic. The story is as much about inner-city life at the bottom of the food chain and his romance with cripplingly shy wallflower Talia Shire as boxing and considering the route the franchise took, it's surprisingly unsentimental. There's nowhere near enough of Carl Weathers and Burgess Meredith and at the end of the day, it's a sports movie and as such follows the usual formula, but the gritty approach makes for a surprisingly engaging watch that has stood the test of time quite well. Quite how it beat Taxi Driver for the Best Picture Oscar is a mystery though.
Richard C

June 25, 2010
B+
Dean !

December 30, 2006
The classic underdog has his day film, probably the best Rocky of them all!