Movies Like A Room With A View

A Room With A View Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

December 17, 2012
Lovely movie. Saw it this time on DVD and it was a splendid way to pass a dreary Sunday afternoon. I love Mr. B, the preacher, the best. Helena Bonham Carter is, of course, the coolest with Maggie Smith a close second.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 7, 2012
A young woman falls for a man during her vacation in Italy, but social pressures and his passionate nature make a fop the more socially acceptable choice.
Daniel Day-Lewis can play tough, gruff, evil characters like Bill the Butcher and Daniel Plainview and even the sexually voracious Tomas, but can he play an upper-class fop? Yes, he can. The man's range is extraordinary.
This film is everything that is good and bad about a Merchant/Ivory production. It's opulent, classic, and essentially British, but it's also occasionally boring, making the most of the most trifling conflicts. Part of this is film's inability as a medium to make compelling commonplace disagreements in a way that is unique to books, but Ivory's direction, distant shots of four or more characters, accentuates the germane nature of the film's tiny conflicts -- about a room with a view, the settling of accounts, and a writer's fictionalizing of a character's dalliance.
Overall, if you like Merchant/Ivory films, then you've probably already seen this one, and if you don't, this isn't much different from the rest.
Cynthia S

February 7, 2012
Nice movie. Not my favorite of this genre, but satisfying. A little slow.
Spencer S

August 8, 2010
My very first Merchant/Ivory film, A Room with a View has been this foreboding slot in my to do list for the past three years. The reasons I didn't want to see it are probably the same that some people use to dislike it: it's schmaltzy, none too original, and labors to use all these romantic clichés to drive the point home. What I think these people lack is an ability to be wrapped up in the lurid charm of this cute little tale of two people who are both strong willed and challenge the ideals of the times they live in. While Lucy (portrayed by an unrecognizable Helena Bonham Carter) passionately plays piano, bickers with her cousin Charlotte, and doesn't like being taken advantage of by any man, George (Julian Sands) is a fascinating oddity who works on impulse and yet never steps out of bounds with the outcome to hurt her. The start of the film is in Venice, then the English countryside. Most Merchant/Ivory films have lavish set designs, costumes, and tragic heroes. The sets and principal photography are entrancing. The actual view from the room with a view is justifiably gorgeous, and every shot of the film is impeccable. The editing and timing of each scene is quick, but not harried, which leads to some great scenes between the two leads. A large amount of the film is simply filler so the young ingénue can cripple her dandy of a fiancé (played by a very...indescribable Daniel Day-Lewis). Because that character is neither evil, nor unforgivably droll, the fact that they're together or apart doesn't matter. No one cares one way or the other whether she marries one or the other. The "affair" is two sets of kisses, both surprises, and instead of dealing with it solemnly, George runs away from her. The ending plays back into the title which came off pretty cutesy. Overall it was a decent film about two very strange people who show their affection in fairly crazed ways. That, and there is an entire scene of full frontal male nudity, in no way abbreviated for us females and our waspish sensibilities. It's quite torrid to say the least. Anyway, it's about love, and all the insecurities which keep us from being with the person who we deserve.
Jennifer X

January 1, 2008
This is one of those few movies that I can't describe WHY I liked it - somehow, unfathomably, I just did. The dialogue was not that great, the story was none-too-original, and the acting was just okay, but somehow all the elements fell together to make quite a charming little movie. Not to mention that Helena Bonham Carter was a cutie in her day (and still is, as a matter of fact).
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 18, 2007
A young woman meets an eccentric young man on a trip to Florence.
sainttom93
sainttom93

March 31, 2007
The VERY best of the Merchant/Ivory period pieces -- I put it in regularly just for the delight!
Byron B

May 18, 2007
A Merchant/Ivory production based on a novel from earlier in E.M. Forster's career, the common themes of Forster's writings are clear. A young woman accompanied by an older woman in British society before either of the world wars, encounters something exotic and wants to burst out of the stuffy tight collared restraint that polite society of the time required. In this case Florence Italy is the hot-blooded location where the British characters vacation. The young woman meets a young man who discovers the bohemian code in the Italian countryside. She is wisked away home to an arranged engagement with a very unpleasant man who does not appreciate life. The main difference between the young men is that one KNOWS how to kiss, the other does NOT. Again because the young woman has been taught not to give in to impulses she tries for awhile to avoid the feelings that unleash her. It is the slowly paced style of these type of productions that bore some audiences. Ironically this tight lipped proper culture is what the main characters rebel against, and what audiences who do not like it or do not see it rebel against too. I LOVE Forster's themes but was bored by this one more than A Passage to India.
John B

March 3, 2014
Helena Bonham Carter has the big big 80s hair and of course the acting ability to match wits with Maggie Smith and Daniel Day Lewis. A Merchant-Ivory period piece yes..but one with some heart to it.
Dannielle A

September 21, 2010
This movie was mostly boring but there were moments that swept me away... mostly the scenes and flashbacks that wisked me away into a fantasy of romance. This movie has got maybe one of the best kissing scenes ever. I had to leave the room during a good chunk of it in which my husband informed me "Lots of penis, don't come in the room yet.... nope, lots and lots of penis still...." I really like the accents in this movie and the innocense and charm of Miss Lucy Honeychurch. I thought her Cecil was rather a cute dorky nerd with social awkwardness and polite manners. I sort of liked him but also thought she needed a more dashing, dangerous and essentric fellow like George Emerson.
Alec B

November 13, 2011
Its basically just a series of juxtaposing moments (the stiff British customs versus the free spirited Emerson family) but its wonderfully acted and its hard not to fall for its sweet, innocent central characters. Also Daniel Day-Lewis is hysterical in his small role, it makes me want to see him do more comedic performances.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

March 31, 2009
A Room With A View' has class.The Italian and English locations are stunning and the costumes are intriguing. The cinematography is delightful and the score, especially the piano pieces, are marvelous. The cast is superb as it includes a very young Helena Bonham Carter, Julian Sands, Judi Dench,Daniel Day-Lewis, Maggie Smith,Denholm Elliot, an eccentric Simon Callow and a wild Rupert Graves. To sum it up, 'A Room With A View' is a delightfully beautiful little film.
Sunil J

January 31, 2008
Wasn't so much into this movie but I did like it.
mingsysar
mingsysar

September 9, 2006
Has dated a hell of a lot, but still effortlessly creates a period setting, interesting characters and a very sensual atmosphere. Helena Bonham Carter is the heart and soul of the film, while still remaining repressed and innocent. If you see her as the queen of goth, then see this just to have your ideas blown apart.
weelee18
weelee18

November 4, 2007
Good movie..
jimbotender
jimbotender

August 26, 2008
It surpasses the book and not only that,the freedom and liberality of this picture is breathtaking to the core,rising the sensual adrenaline where it needs to be risen.The other half is an introspective of social dualities.Bonham Carter,Maggie Smith,Sands,Elliott,too many performers,the best from Ivory-Merchant collaborations.
iLeo
iLeo

April 10, 2007
WAN'S FAVORTIE MOVIE!

HEY WAN, REMEMBER THIS!
June 2, 2007
I'm sure I'll watch this again at some point. Some interesting characters and performances and a good few humorous moments mixed with with a lot of other stuff. I'm sure I'll have more to say after a second watch.
February 24, 2012
Slow moving but well acted character drama. Be aware if watching with the kiddies: there's a scene with lots of male full frontal nudity.
LiaLiaLia
June 28, 2011
So gorgeous! I loved this film so much because of all it had to offer - visually, and literarily. Watching it felt exactly like reading a classic novel from the 1800's - a childhood pastime of mine - and even better, it was accompanied with glorious visions of Venice and rural Italy. Young Bonham Carter proves her worth in the acting role of her life (so far the best one of hers I've seen, or could take seriously), and many other spectacular actors cameoed in this incredible film.