Sabrina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sabrina Reviews

½ March 23, 2014
An amusing romantic comedy with great dialogue and a sweet Cinderella feel to it, but the plot is still not too original and there is a glaring lack of chemistry between Hepburn and Bogart, who is also clearly miscast here and seems too old for the role.
November 14, 2011
A sparkling gem. Hepburn, Bogart and Holden are all great in this reworking of Cinderella.
January 17, 2008
Number 4 off the pile of crap... What do you know - not crap!
Despite never really having got the whole fuss over Audrey Hepburn, I could really see it here. She is completely charming as Sabrina and attractive too. This from someone who can't sit through Breakfast at Tiffany's.
This is a lovely, light romantic movie about a chauffeur's daughter who is in love with the rich boy next door. He doesn't know she exists until she returns from school in France, all grown up and newly sophisticated. As she gets to know him and his brother it seems she has two admirers.
I found this easy to watch and undemanding. Far from ditching it, I think I will watch it again sometime!
February 4, 2011
Girl loves boy. Boy ignores girl. Girl returns home. Boy lusts over girl. You get the picture. It may sound unoriginal, but there's a little darkness floating throughout Sabrina that makes it gripping. Not every love story starts with a suicide attempt. Nor does the girl become attracted to the more sensible, if less fun, of two brothers. Sabrina is a comedy that deals with social class, but not in a patronizing way. She isn't the poor little flower generously allowed into the family. She's a hardworking girl and the men realise how lucky they are. Bogart is slightly miscast (mostly due to his age), but the trio of him, Hepburn, and Holden is miraculous, despite rumors of offscreen tension. Holden is charming, and comes across as a lusty younger man, rather than the complete sleaze many could perceive him as. Bogart is logical, smart, with a slight cruel sense of humor. It amounts to a brotherly relationship full of love, but also a bit of rivalry and hate. The film works by removing any antagonist, and making love the antagonist itself. This means we are watching people wrestle for attention and admiration and, as the audience, we generally want people to make the right choices and be happy. Another great Hepburn classic.
September 5, 2010
A "Cinderella story"? Sort of, but in my mind it's just another boring romance movie with Hepburn falling in love with some old guys. I didn't care for it much, but it's not really a bad movie.
TomBowler
July 14, 2010
Great example of Audrey Hepburn in the high points of her career. Full review later.
June 23, 2010
Such a great romantic comedy, they don't come better than this. Audrey Hepburn always has such an impact on screen (especially with me) and I really felt her vulnerability as Sabrina. I think it's really the goal of the movie, to utterly and completely fall in love with her. Humphrey Bogart really did a great job to, it's odd seeing him as a more uptight businessman with a demented sense of humor. Billy Wilder either impresses me immensely or throws me off, this was definitely one of my favorites he's done.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
October 3, 2009
"A woman happily in love, she burns the souffle. A woman unhappily in love, she forgets to turn on the oven."

A playboy becomes interested in the daughter of his family's chauffeur. But it's his more serious brother who would be the better man for her.

REVIEW
It is wonderful to sit down and watch a film that simply captivates you and charms you the whole way through. There are almost no films that do that today, but 50 years ago that was the standard. This film is no different. Three of the biggest stars of all time: Humphrey Bogart, William Holden, and Audrey Hepburn teamed up with one of the best directors of all time, Billy Wilder, to create a beautiful and charming story that simply doesn't stop. The acting is good, as expected, and the screenplay is pure Wilderesque: a touch of romance combined with snappy dialogue and humorous one-liners. The movie may not end as the audience wants it to, but deep down we know that it is the way it should have ended. Wilder always knew how to make an opening (Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity) and he also knows how to make a great final scene. This film has one, and it makes the film a classic. It's all in the family.
February 8, 2009
A beautiful movie to look at with a decent performance from Humphrey Bogart. Audrey Hepburn plays the delicate little flower to a tee, but the story in this one's a little thin, kind of on the mundane side. Wilder has populated the supporting cast with rather lifeless types, and overall he misses the mark. A re-watchable classic, no question, but not all that great.
June 22, 2007
This is an inherently misogynistic film, but we tend to forget that once Hepburn luminates the screen. I have decided it does take some skill to create incredible chemistry with whatever man you act with, and Hepburn does this with ease. Sabrina is an incredibly funny film with lightweight humor of all kinds bubbling with cynical undertones to keep it from being too buoyant. It's a typical 50s film with an underlying social agenda. This only solidifies my undying love for Billy Wilder.
½ July 22, 2008
A romantic Cinderella like film that has the status of a classic. Sure, it has great "Old Hollywood" stars in it and it's entertaining but the moral and ethics of the lead characters just doesn't make any sense to me. Still, beats almost all of the contemporary romcoms of the 21st century.
movieguru12
February 24, 2008
Audrey Hepburn is great!!!!!!!
dietmountaindew
½ November 2, 2007
a well-know audrey hepburn romantic classic directed by billy wilder, but mostly audience would gaze upon hepburn's tomboyish glamour regardless of wilder's cynical undertone toward the gap between the capitalist(larrabees) and the bourgeois(fairchild)....chauffeur's daughter sarbrina in rags falls in love the larrabee progical son david in silk, then her dream seems to be shattered since her innate conditions would never be competent enough to match the grandeur larrabees. after the reincarnation thru her trip to paris, she re-appears as the glittering fairy who captivate the heart of playboy david. then bogart's character linus as the elder brother of larrabees is a perky bussinessman with his steadfast shrewdness. to save a mergering case, linus tries to disguise as a male lonely heart to inspire sarbrina's pathos into affections, then he schemes to export her away to paris with a compensating sum. but on the contrary, she evocates his sympathetic pathos with her girlish innocence, then this pathos transforms into love. mutually their love is both driven by pathos: she pities him as a neglected lonesome man; he sympathesizes her as a youthful ingenune beguiled by his mercenary calulations. as i once concluded about humprey bogart: the idealistic vigor hidden beneath a strung-out elongated face written with sarcastic mockery, but actually he's the man with the mostly decent soul.
this is truthfully wilder's hypothesis of possiblities of the bond between two social classes, as the chauffeur father's remarks about a glass board comparted in the middle of limousine as well as the difference of front seats and back seats, therefore democracy is a lie since most people would set eyes upon the chauffeur's daughter judgementally. at the end credit, linus decides to retrieve his dishonourability by re-unifying sarbrina and david...eventually he turns out to sarbrina's craved salvation.....if sarbarina's a bit less innocent and slightly less vulunerable, our cynical hero might not choose to do the right thing at last.
"sarbrina" is a social satire wannabe, but hepburn's lengendary luster overshadows wilder's usual cynical touch as well as bogart's complexity as the last minute hero. wilder tends to dub saving grace for these characters at the final moment(such as miss kubelik's return to baxter in "the apartment"), and he also consent such redemption to "sarbrina" as well. but somehow hepburn's endearing charm overlayers any sarcastic remarks wilder might assign in the script....imagine if sarbrina was played by another actress in the 50s, it would just be as bittersweet as "the apartment" instead of an overwhelming romance. same happens with the sorbid capote tale "brakfast at tiffany's".....audrery hepburn could transfigure any material into a crowd-pleasing romantic piece, and it's my so called "hepburn myth"
garyX
March 6, 2007
Sweetly rmantic comedy featuring Audrey Hepburn at her most appealing, and wonderful support from William Holden and Humphrey Bogart in one of his more sensitive roles. Another charming film from Billy Wilder at his least cynical.
deano
February 6, 2007
Ahh, Audrey Hepburn - gorgeously garbed and delightfully unaffected as the lovesick Sabrina, determined to win the seatterbrained son of a wealthy family.
½ September 29, 2006
Way better than the remake. I didn't entirely buy Bogart's performance, but Hepburn more than made up for it.
November 7, 2006
Done remarkably well.
March 6, 2014
Although charming, Audrey Hepburn doesn't quite raise Sabrina to the heights that many hold this film to IMHO. The fact that both Bogart and Holden are contributors furthers my disappointment.
November 21, 2012
Wilder directs this 50s RomCom starring Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn played the woman in the title whose caught in a love triangle, Sabrina. Sabrina was obsessive and selfish, not attractive with her emotions, yet for an unexplained reason everyone loves her. I recall laughing three times in this near two hour film, and I don't think I really cared once. Plenty could've been cut out, like the opening narration scene. Not a classic in my mind, I'm shocked it wasn't forgotten.
½ July 20, 2006
A ceaselessly funny, engaging romantic comedy that uses strongly written, blatantly contrasting characters as a launching pad for conflict. Bogart, Holden and Hepburn are brilliant, and the screen chemistry they all have is a treat for any movie buff to see.