• Scarecrow

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Scarecrow Reviews

Carlos M

October 20, 2012
Hackman and Pacino are terrific in this underrated road movie, an honest and refreshing character study about two different men who develop an unlikely bond - and the effect it causes on each of them. A great drama that can be funny and also surprisingly touching.
Lucas M

May 26, 2011
Scarecrow, is a great road movie, it's very sentimental, but this don't changes the wonderful screenplay, written by Michael White, and the direction of Schatzberg. Hackman and Pacino, show a impressive dynamics due that surely go move who is watching. A surprising motion picture whose show that, the better way to satisfy you self this made the people happy and not fight with they. Scarecrow just like Easy Rider and Midnight Cowboy, are road/buddy sentimental movies, sometimes very similar, but still a good film. Fresh.
arashxak
arashxak

November 3, 2008
"A crow isn't afraid of a scarecrow. It laughs."

Liked this just as much as Midnight Cowboy
Tim S

October 17, 2007
I can't believe more people haven't seen this movie.
Mike T

June 9, 2007
A quiet, weird, loveable character piece with a great amount of resonance and spirit. The two leads are tremendous, and there is some absolutely beautiful photography. We watch two aimless wanderers refusing to accept the agony of manhood, joining each other on a delusional and slightly self-indulgent adventure. It's bleak, it's funny, it's sad and it's very original. Underrated gem.
Stephen E

September 20, 2013
'Scarecrow' is one damn strange film. Interesting, yes, but damn strange. It's the kind of film that I tend to instantly love, but I couldn't. There are complications. While I enjoyed its humor, its eccentric antics and the way it meanders without following a strict narrative, there are parts of it that are just plainly unnecessary, and then are parts that are necessary but aren't present. The gist of the story is that two drifters decide to road trip cross-country in hopes of opening a car wash in Philadelphia, which is clearly symbolic for the American Dream. However, their quest is hindered by 'the Man' and things do not end well for the two of them. Sounds a little bit like 'Easy Rider,' I know, but it's a better film. I enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more if director Jerry Schatzberg didn't take so many shortcuts in order to reach the conclusion. Gene Hackman is at his fiercest and most somber and Al Pacino is at his funniest, yet also at his saddest. Both have performances that make you much more interested in the film and their characters than you rightfully should be. Also, Vilmos Zsigmond again proves that he's a master of his craft, filling the screen with deep, beautiful colors. (I can't get opening shot out of my mind).
Wu C

December 23, 2007
Interesting character study/buddy road movie. Kinda reminded me of 'Midnight Cowboy' a little.
February 23, 2010
The best buddy movie!!!! Hackman and Pacino, on the road, struggling to settle down, and the theme, men's dreams and sorrow - how can I not love this movie??? GREAT film, especially its structure and ending. Symbol of 70s American cinema.
February 20, 2008
A slightly underrated film featuring two of the biggest stars of that time period. Both of whom were still making a name for themselves. This is an interesting character study of two drifters who are traveling to Pittsburgh to open a car wash. The film has moments of brilliance, mainly from Hackman who carries the film. Cynical message of despair in the end.
titanfan207
February 18, 2008
I haven't seen this movie yet, its very underrated and very hard to get, but it looks really good and shows us a rare comedic light performance from Al Pacino, and I've always been interested in drifter characters and movies
conker3
March 27, 2007
This was something different. 2 guys go in business together after getting out of the joint to make a car was company. While it isn't the best movie out there, there are still some memorable moments.
realman7777
January 17, 2007
An underrated movie with phycological overtones. Pacino is Great as a wanderer who in the beginning meets with Gene Hackman. The 2 together are stupendous
fryguy386
October 21, 2006
I saw this one night on cable...The great acting from the beginning got me hooked. This is one to see. The bond between Hackman's and Pacino's characters is amazing.
HeavyFknMetal
June 27, 2006
Al Pacinos best film IMO. Gene Hackman is also wonderful in this gem of a film. A very rarely seen film that everyone should check out.
May 5, 2014
Although I had no idea of what to expect from Scarecrow, Al Pacino is one of my favourite actors and so pairing him with two time Academy Award winner Gene Hackman was a perfect idea.

Scarecrow is interesting because it has two of the most critically acclaimed actors of the 1970's paired up and put into a film where their characters are simply drifters moving from place to place in the context of a road movie. Instead of being put into the roles of serious dramatic grit, the characters in Scarecrow are a lot more natural and simple which means that it requires the actors to put their natural charm into the parts. It presents a great opportunity to the actors and comes from a time in society when the counterculture movement was beginning to bloom. Scarecrow has the cultural relevance of being a story about people looking out for each other and the value of friendship. To put is simply, Scarecrow is built on a simple story and a script full of intelligent dialogue which gives it a lot of spirit, and while the story is not consistently interesting because it is unpredictable and doesn't really know exactly where it is going, it is still an entertaining film.
Scarecrow came from a much simpler time in cinema, the age of films such as Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces which were about the sad nature of the world and the directionless people within it. Films that were not about all that much but had serious relevance to the contemporary culture of the time. If you understand that when going in to see Scarecrow then you will understand just what its importance is all about, but otherwise you could find it to be slow or even pointless. I mean even I was able to feel the slow pace of the film over its running time, but it doesn't mean I wasn't able to enjoy the film for its realistic drama which wasn't melodramatic. The drama of the story in Scarecrow is allowed to develop at its own pace which is a more organic rate, and Jerry Schatzberg gives the film the necessary kind of restrained direction that it needed. While it could even be a little too restrained at times which allows the story to scatter a little bit, it is still a simple film which is enjoyable for that kind of purpose as well because the ambiguity that comes with audiences asking "what comes next?" is essentially key to a road movie. It keeps viewers constantly interested, and so the mix of character focus and counterculture themes in Scarecrow makes it an interesting film on a fairly consistent basis.
But the thing that Scarecrow mainly revolves around is the talents of its cast because everything is focused on ensuring that both Al Pacino and Gene Hackman are supplied material that is up to their calibre of acting. Luckily enough, they have no problem achieving that and they prove to be able to keep the energy and drama of the film flowing from start to finish.
Al Pacino's performance in Scarecrow is one of his most honest to date. His performance dominates the screen, and without even having to sink into a complicated character he just takes the role by storm because he is so naturally good at it. The talent that Al Pacino puts into his leading performance in Scarecrow is not one that he has to think too much about because it seems just like him if he was in the same situation that his character Francis Lionel "Lion" Delbuchi faces. Al Pacino's performance is a seriously organic one which emphasises all of his talents as an actor without giving him a high profile character, and so it is a wonderful thing to see. When you contrast his role in Scarecrow to the performances he has given in films such as The Godfather, Scarface or Scent of a Woman, you can see a large difference between them based on how they are written. But the role in Scarecrow didn't even need to be written since Al Pacino was able to supply so much to it without trouble. Al Pacino's leading performance in Scarecrowe is just excellent and it makes the film worth a viewing standalone.
Gene Hackman's performance is almost as enthralling. Similarly, Gene Hackman faces his role in Scarecrow as the character Max Millan with his own natural charm and charisma as an actor. And in doing that he manages to capture both a gritty edge for the man and a certain sense of charm which makes him funny at times. But above all the important thing is that he makes the character a compelling one by giving audiences the ability to sympathise with his decisions and understand everything about him. Gene Hackman's effort in Scarecrow is very admirable because it is one where he gets deeply involved in the character and delivers his lines with a powerful honesty, and he proves himself fearless and entertaining in the role.
The chemistry between the two actors is excellent as well because it seems like the way that their characters gain education from each other is mirrored by the benefit they get from working together as actors on Scarecrow. The chemistry they share has a feel of true friendship to it that is so powerful that it almost becomes like brotherhood, so pairing them together is a benefit to Scarecrow and the world in so many ways.

So while Scarecrow is a slow film which doesn't always know where to go or what to do, it is consistently entertaining thanks to its cultural relevance as a cinematic piece of counterculture and due to the skilful leading performances of both Academy Award winners Al Pacino and Gene Hackman who work to make it a memorable film which pays off thanks to both their standalone efforts and the kind of chemistry they achieve in the process, and it is all achieved under the relaxed and skillful direction of Jerry Schatzberg.
Shane B.
January 24, 2014
Not sure why people love this movie so much, most seem to. I thought i would love it because i'm a huge fan of Pacino but i found the movie to be boring and nothing special at all
Stephen E

September 20, 2013
July 19, 2013
Schatzberg's film is a great re-visitation of the buddy concept of the early slapstick comedies in a grittier and more dramatic light. Scarecrow is also an interesting and original tender look at the theme of masculinity, aided by two great lead performances by Hackman and Pacino.
Noel P.
June 22, 2013
There is something of a Midnight Cowboy story running through the heart of this film and I loved it. I have always admired Gene Hackman and he doesn't disappoint in this role playing the no nonsense guy on a mission. Al Pacino is baby faced here bit shows what a great actor he is. It's a road movie but you feel for the characters as we develop our understanding of them as they do in their own relationship together, I loved this.
January 25, 2013
Brilliant, honest character-study classic with outstanding leads in unique roles held together by the style and setting of the cold and unforgiving '70s.