Shock Waves Reviews

½ December 8, 2014
Essential viewing in my not so humble opinion!
September 23, 2014
Charter vessel becomes shipwrecked off tiny island surrounded by an experimental Nazi SS Death Corps scuttled by its commanding officer to avoid capture in the closing days of WWII. Effective chiller makes the most of its limited budget. Certainly rises above most of its contemporaries; a favourite of mine from repeated viewings on the local independent station out of Detroit.
½ September 29, 2013
Nazi zombies... badass
½ April 19, 2013
Shock Waves come to us in 1975, but did not arise until 1977 to movie audiences. It is a film about Nazi zombies starring horror legends John Carradine and Peter Cushing. On a trip to tropical islands, the boat hits a rock sending passengers to a mysterious island. There they are told to leave or face the consequences which the latter is always ignored. The shipwrecked travelers wander the island aimlessly being "too stupid to understand." The horrors await them when a group of Nazi zombies arise from the see and attack them. Yes, Nazi zombies are what attacks them. It sounds ludicrously lame, but the writing and directing turns that around and delivers a strong thriller. The Nazi zombies are very interesting as the walk around with no life, but do not let that fool you. These zombies are clever and very violent. Built to adapt underwater, they may lacks guns, but their stealth and environment are enough. You see the zombies drown their victims. Soon, they go from looking silly to pretty intimidating. What is the story behind them? Well, the old reclusive man has the answer. He is an SS commander of the Death Korps, a group that used to be human. There were several types that were made to fight the allies in World War II. They did not need any human needs and lacked emotions. The zombies were nearly the perfect weapon until they became unrestrained and dangerous to everyone. Shock Waves is an effective thriller with two great horror icons, Carradine and Cushing. The low budget film lacks gore that you usually see in zombie films and explosions and guns since the zombies were from World War II. However, there is enough thrills to bring back the dead. OH and also, Brooke Adam is very hot here.
½ April 19, 2013
Slow boring Nazi zombies who live under water but who only strangle people? Yeah thanks but no thanks....I know a zombie movie sucks asshole when Peter cushing is the main star. This plays like a hammer made for tv 70s zombie movie.....if anyone's into that then this would be your idea of awesome then. I'm not a huge fan of goreless,boring,clean made for tv zombie films. Pretty much this movie is just a bag of smelly assholes.
April 1, 2013
Some movies somehow stick in your mind for years after seeing them. SHOCK WAVES is one of them. A horror movie that actually depends on suspense and image to creep you out. Deserving of much more attention than it gets.
½ March 25, 2013
Let's get one thing straight here: Shock Waves is not a good movie, not by a longshot. The concept of Nazi zombies rising from the water to kill sounds better than it actually is. In truth, I thought this movie was pretty boring for the most part. The zombies themselves look pretty unique, but I was neither scared nor entertained by their presence. What WAS entertaining, however, were the actors chewing the heck out of the scenery. All of their dialogue is pretty straightforward and cliche'd, but the delivery can be hilarious at times. As for Peter Cushing, he's barely in the movie and doesn't bear a whole lot on the actual plot itself. He does his usual good job, but there's not much there for him to work with. The film reminded me a lot of Galaxy Invader in look and tone, but executed just a tiny bit better. I'd recommend watching it for the non-intended comedic value that it has. Otherwise, it's a pretty dismal and disappointing bit of horror film.
July 9, 2007
Despite having Peter Cushing and Nazi zombies, something was missing here. Glad I saw it though.
½ October 16, 2012
The best part about "Shock Waves" is the opening narration. From there it's all downhill. If you're a fan of watching people wade through swamps and slog through mud, then this is the movie for you. I guess there is something creepy about the way that the swamp Nazis rise up out of the water together but after they do it the first 20 times, it loses its effectiveness. This thing is boring. It was all I could do to stay awake. Actually I'm pretty sure I passed out a couple of times, but I'm positive nothing happened while I was snoozing.
Peter Cushing is in this and it's sad because he must have needed the money badly. Brooke Adams is the eye-candy and she is about the only watchable thing in the entire flick. I read that she turned down a role as one of the original "Charlie's Angels". I hope it wasn't because she was filming this at the time.
A more frightless, bloodless, Horror movie will be difficult to find.
½ October 13, 2012
Underwater Nazi zombies! A creepy low budget gem that horror buffs should try and see--Spooky!!
September 23, 2012
What a waste of Peter Cushing.
½ May 28, 2012
Wow. Nazis who wait under water to drown people, who can't see without their goggles and look very stupid with them. Quick question...why would there be a mansion like hotel on some island out in the middle of the ocean anyway? Don't watch this. There are no zombies in the Romero sense.
½ April 26, 2012
pretty cool ..as 70s nazi zombie movies go..
oh, Brooke Adams..
February 17, 2012
What's not to like about a Nazi zombie movie? This isn't the greatest piece of horror cinema, but it's campy and entertaining, and it features Peter Cushing in one of his final roles.
November 23, 2011
Aquatic nazi zombies!!!!
½ September 25, 2011
½ August 23, 2011
It's a cult classic, and I am still not sure why zombie movies that aren't about voodoo take place in the "caribbean", because it really seems like this wouldn't add to the atmosphere. However, this one does an ok job at that. The idea of the zombies just walking into and disappearing into the water works well. There is an odd idea for their weak point, which eliminates the shoot them in the head idea but probably helped balance the budget, but this movie is passable, but not great.

I am not sure why it has its cult status. Maybe the stars, or just that it was an interesting concept, but it's not really scary at all. Nor very thrilling. But it has other redeeming qualities in trying to string out its mood. But not good enough, because you really want to be scared or creeped out or taken on a ride by movies like this. And this one doesn't do it.

Also, I had to replay and look it, because when I saw the dead person on the lake side pick his head up before the cut, it just seemed like lazy editing for such a goof. Watch for it, if you even decide to watch the movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 17, 2011
Shock Waves is one of the best Nazis zombie films ever made. Although the recent Dead Snow is a great film, but Shock Waves remains THE Nazis zombie film to see. Starring Peter Cushing as an SS commander living on a secluded island, who was commander of a squad scientifically altered SS soldiers who are zombies. Director Ken Wederhorn crafts a solid horror film that is an overlooked classic. The film relies on atmosphere and it works very well to build up tension and horror. The negative of this film is grainy, even if it's restored, but I felt it added a touch of old school horror, something that we haven't seen in a while. The film is a lot of fun and is a necessity to watch if you're a fan of zombie films. The plot is very interesting and I thought it was original. Shock Waves is a creepy zombie film that doesn't rely on cheap trick to create tension or horror. Peter Cushing is excellent in his role, and it's hard to picture anyone else in the role. Shock Waves is an accomplished horror film that delivers good chills and delivers a good, entertaining hour and a half. This is is director Ken Wederhorn's best zombie film. Shock Waves remains one of the best films in the Nazis zombie genre. An overlooked gem of the genre, Shock Waves is a classic film that still needs to be seen by many fans of horror films everywhere. Truly an awesome film to watch.
March 6, 2011
Good premise, extremely B O R I N G movie...
½ January 14, 2011
I didn't like dead snow it was funny but really stupid but i watched this flick on TV years ago and i have to say i really liked it. Its not gory or bloody like these normal films its creepy and thrilling