Silver Streak Reviews

October 25, 2006
Not the funniest of films that this pairing (Wilder/Pryor) have been in together, but easy watching any how. Very much like a lot of train movies, which involve, strange goings on, murder, kidnap and confusion.
September 23, 2007
The sad case of a childhood favorite that didn't stand the test of time as well as hoped. Especially the set up of this crime comedy about a man witnessing a murder on a train trip from L.A. to Chicago, is rather slow. Once the plot thickens things are rather interesting, and it's pretty funny to behold how often George has to get back on the train. The longer the film is running the better its timing works, and the showdown and final crash into Chicago train station is breath taking and spectacular. Not a flawless film by any means, once the nostalgia wears off, but still very decent entertainment.
½ May 5, 2007
Probably the best Hitchcockian comedy. Not mind-blowing but a good Saturday Afternoon flick.
½ June 17, 2011
Probably the main film for Wilder and Pryor in their careers but in my opinion not their best film together, second best behind 'Stir Crazy'. This is still brilliant stuff mixing proper thrills and actual nasty murder for Wilder with his usual wild eyed lunacy haha the film isn't hilarious as you may expect and is kinda slow burning from the start as the plot builds plus Pryor doesn't come into the fun till about halfway. The giggles do arise when Pryor enters the fray naturally and the film does pick up at that point, until then its a kind of semi serious murder mystery on a train with a slice of 'Hitchcock' blended in which is fine but not stunning.

This is an old film now and it is pretty dated but it does still entertain as Wilder will always do no matter what year it is. The cast is classic, especially Patrick McGoohan with his 'Dick Dastardly' type villain, the scenery is quite stunning throughout the train journey, gentle musical score and the finale is still pretty impressive with the train wreck, amazing effects back in the day. A soft, pleasant, relaxing Sunday afternoon film which will make you smile and tweak your senses with a dash of murder most foul :)
May 11, 2011
Unforgettable film with a unforgettable screenplay. The picture mixture the comedy of Pryor and Wilder in a plot A La Hitchcock.
September 6, 2010
This is both a thriller and a comedy, but not a spoof exactly. I really like this movie, it has an excellent cast and a great story. I highly recommend it.
September 9, 2009
Classic Arthur Hiller and the beginning of a beautiful relationship between Wilder and Pryor. Very funny and lots of fun but in all honesty, how many times can a person fall off a train!?
August 20, 2007
Enjoyable train ride. Fun with Gene and Richard. It's a decent balance of comedy, action and romance. Harmless.
sainttom93
½ July 5, 2007
One of the most hilarouis movies I've ever seen, and I don't usually like comedy!
garyX
½ May 19, 2007
Reasonably amusing trainbound mystery played for laughs, worth seeing for the fact that it's one of very few films made by comic genius Richard Pryor that doesn't completely suck.
January 13, 2008
Is there anything funnier than Gene Wilder screaming? Very much like Foul Play ( a big childhood movie) in that it involves a mystery and goes back and forth between wacky comedy and complete seriousness. I was surprised that Pryor doesn't show up until the second half. Nothing groundbreaking but very entertaining. If this had been on TV as much as Stir Crazy when I was a kid, I would have watched it 30 times.
DrLappos
½ May 27, 2007
Wilder and Pryor are always superb together and they dont dissapoint.
½ June 13, 2013
Great comedy-thriller! Lots of laughs and lots of great action. Of course, I love trains, so this was an easy sell for me! Colin Higgins wrote and directed other films like "Foul Play," but is the writer only here. Arthur Hiller provides a sure hand balancing the comedy and thrills. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor are a great pair and this was their first film together, going on to "Stir Crazy" and others.
½ November 2, 2012
½ July 2, 2012
Ethan's rating.
Oh, man. PG in 1976 would never be PG now. Rodd kept chanting "You are mother of the year!" Sarcastic jerk husband.
½ November 11, 2011
I was surprised at how fun this movie was. My husband and I really enjoy Gene Wilder but his character in this is different than what we've seen before. There are some really intense, dramatic scenes and others that are just hilarious but it's balanced quite well. Not a masterpiece of course, but a really enjoyable, well thought out film!
May 4, 2007
Unfortunately for this movie, the action parts aren't very suspenseful and the comedy parts aren't very funny. It may have hurt this movie further that I only kind of like Gene Wilder and don't like Richard Pryor much at all, and this material didn't change my mind about either one of them. I simply didn't laugh.
November 13, 2010
Been soo long since i last saw this movie, but man i remember Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor had me dying in laughter. Its a great film.
½ January 15, 2008
Two of the most gifted actors played off of each other, and that was Gene and Richard. This movie was just a piece of their clever work together, and you would not find anything funnier than them in their time while having the adventure of their life!
August 15, 2009
Far fetched plot but still fun. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor have great chemistry together. A tad overlong, but for the most part it held my interest. The scene where Richard Pryor tries to teach Gene Wilder how to be black is great. Mindless enjoyment.