Slaughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slaughter Reviews

January 16, 2016
Jim Brown's blaxploitation showcase starts off really good with a bunch of quickly paced action scenes that set up the story, but goes downhill pretty rapidly. The whole middle of the film is slow and dull, and nowhere near as good as you'd expect from a film that has Stella Stevens, Rip Torn, Don Gordon and Cameron Mitchell to play with. It picks up in the end, but I didn't really care all that much by then.
½ December 28, 2013
Finally crossed one of the last classic Blaxploitation films off the list as part of a double disc set and I'm happy to have finally gotten around to it. Fun stuff from the opening theme to the last big show-down, wonderful stuff.

Well worth a rental.
March 21, 2013
One of the greatest blaxploitation flicks ever made. For me right up there with 'Shaft' and 'Coffy'. Former Green Beret Slaughter seeks revenge after his gangster Dad gets blown up in a gangland hit. Jim Brown is the balls as Slaughter and Rip Torn is a sleazy fuck as his nemesis. Billy Preston's theme song is immense and IMO the greatest tune to come out of this genre.
May 14, 2013
Director Jack Starrett specialized in making exciting drive-in flicks, such as "The Losers," "The Gravy Train," and "Race with the Devil," and this Jim Brown vehicle was one of his two forays into blaxploitation cinema ("Cleopatra Jone being the other). As exploitation directors go, Starrett is not quite equal a talent as Larry Cohen, but I would say he is equal a filmmaker to say a Jack Hill. To this film specifically, Jim Brown is Slaughter and is an ex-green beret looking to avenge the death of family killed by the mob. It's a pretty standard story for the genre, but the film is elevated by Brown's wooden, yet oddly charismatic performance, along with a better than average supporting cast that include Stella Steven and more significantly, the brilliant Rip Torn as an delightfully over-the-top snarling villain. It's not the best of the genre, but it's definitely better than most.
cosmo313
August 13, 2011
I have a lust for blaxploitation
½ August 1, 2012
A great title track and some nipples cannot save this mess of a movie
½ March 9, 2012
Slaughter is the new funky and fresh film from seventies that proudly displays sticking it to the man. However, this film does teach us one valuable lesson; even though the Man can take a vacation, he will always be the Man. Slaughter is not a great film, but I did have fair amount of fun with the laughable action, inane logic, and silly villains. There are a number of scenes that the villains have the chance to kill Slaughter, but they then develop an idea that they can kick his butt which back fires. It is all pretty tiring, but I did not mind it this time and is definitely better some really awful films like Black Belt Jones or Sugar Hill. Plus, this film may have been shot in Mexico, so there are some pretty chicas in this film and you cannot go wrong with that.
½ January 24, 2012
Another blaxploitation film done by American International Pictures, and directed by Jack Starrett (who later did Race with the Devil (1975)), this is a fast, violent and mad revenge film, it did well upon release, and it's got some good going for it, and it doesn't outstay it's welcome either. Slaughter (Jim Brown) is a Vietnam Veteran, who was a former Green Beret Captain. His parents are killed in an seemingly targeted hit. Slaughter vows to get revenge on those who did it, and learns it a Mafia Bomb Blast, and goes after those responsible, eventually killing one of them as they try to flee in an airplane, but it turns out that by doing so, he's blown an undercover operation on the men Slaughter targeted. But, Slaughter makes a deal with Federal Agent A.W. Price (Cameron Mitchell) to go after the men who got away on behalf of the U.S. government. It takes him to Mexico and South America where it puts him up against mob bosses Mario Felice (Norman Alre) and Dominic Hoff (Rip Torn), and Hoff sends out his mistress Ann (Stella Stevens) to seduce Slaughter, but nothing is going to get in his way. From the roaring opening theme tune by Billy Preston (used by Tarantino in Inglourious Basterds), this is a film with a hardass attitude. The action comes fast and furious, and it's a product of it's time, but Jim Brown is a good action hero, mixing badass and tenacity. A sequel followed soon after.
December 17, 2011
During the opening credits when that first cord rips on Billy Preston's theme song you know you are getting to be in for some badass cinema & Jim Brown is one bad cat as Slaughter. Brown gives us a strong blaxploitation icon that I would put him about 5th behind Richard Roundtree, Fred Williamson, Pam Grier & Ron O'Neal. Although the script feels a bit weak @ times w/ the involve of Stella Stevens all in all this delivers high grades for the genre. Slaughter is such a no bullshit/no jive mother-fucker that you can't help but get 100% behind him. Roger Cudney & espically Rip Torn make for good heavy & even though Brown didn't need a side kick Don Gordon does provide some comic relief that fits well in the vast scheme of things. I ended up watching Slaughter's Big Rip Off first & even though I liked it when I saw it really doesn't do Slaughter any favors after see the original. It's too bad but now I see why there was only one sequel. If only it had more flavor of the first one maybe we could have gotten a trilogy like Shaft
September 28, 2011
For a Zarkoff production it's actually quite good. Not one of the classic blaxploitation films but certainly one worthy of a second watch.
½ April 23, 2011
Unlike 80s hair metal "legend" Mark Slaughter, this Slaughter lives up to his name as Jim Brown sure knocks some dicks in the dirt in this high octane, James Bond influenced Blaxploitation effort.

Slaughter, an ex Green Beret, is POed as some assholes blew up his daddy's car with his daddy in it. He heads out for vengeance and guns down a few of the dickheads at a small airport but not without pissing off some federal agents who spent months tracking these drug dealers down. In order not to get thrown into prison, Slaughter agrees to go to South America to take the drug cartel down while at the same time satisfying his hunger for vengeance.

Ex-pro football player Jim Brown first got some acting chops in tough guy films like "The Dirty Dozen" before branching out and becoming a Blaxploitation icon. Does this mean he's a good actor? Hell no but he, much like the other ex-pro football player turned actor Fred Williamson, fit these roles perfectly making for some major touch guy icons as well as providing interesting film heroes for the black community.

Unlike Fred Williamson whose characters were always cocky and mouthy, Jim Brown's were always quieter, more repressed without losing the tough-as-nails edge. Slaughter is exactly this... mostly quiet but a tough mother-fucker who without flinching will shoot a guy in the back or chase them down with a car. Seriously this guy is one mean dude! And he seems like such a nice guy on the outside...

The filmmakers inject a lot of James Bond influences into the picture to with Slaughter basically acting as a secret agent. He goes to high rolling casinos attired in a tux, wins over villain's woman by bedding them, and most importantly can handle himself when it comes to action scenes, including but not limited to hand-to-hand combat and high speed chases.

The directing for the most part is solid with Jack Starrett knowing how to handle action scenes with a sure hand (he proved that again with "Race with the Devil). The only thing I questioned was his use of some odd squished picture ratios in his action scenes. I'm sure it was an attempt to be stylistic but it just takes you out of the movie for a moment making some think there DVD disc might be defective.

Is "Slaughter" a terrific film to be remembered for all the ages? Well no but it does what it intends to do.. provide audiences with an action packed Blaxploitation vehicle for Jim Brown with a heaping dose of sheer awesomeness. I enjoyed "Slaughter" immensely and am highly looking forward to watching its sequel "Slaughter's Big Rip-off".
½ October 21, 2010
After a promising start in The Dirty Dozen, Jim Brown makes this less than satisfying tale of revenge. Ex Marine Slaughter is Jim Brown, coming after those that blew up his parents.

Sorry, Jim Brown can't act in this one. Its about as cheesy a film as you will see from the 70's. This decade was full of Afro-American hero wannabe's. The whites had their bad ass guys like Charles Bronson and blacks had Jim Brown. It was a wonderful world.

If you really want to dig into time capsules, watch this one. It appears so alien today.

Cast

Director: Jack Starrett
Cinematographer: Rosalio Solano
Screenplay: Don Williams
½ June 30, 2010
I think Slaughter is a pretty good jumping-off point for someone who is interested in getting into blaxploitation films. Unfortunately, I started with Blacula, which is AWFUL.
½ May 30, 2010
This movie is seriously (b)lacking the concept. Few good laughs on very hazy cuttings, surreal action, incredibly stupid camera angles and below bar acting (Don Mario). Must for all blax and b-movie fans.
May 30, 2010
Basic stuff in this genre.
May 19, 2010
Decent blaxploitation flick. Amazing theme song by Billy Preston and Rip Torn as the bad guy!
½ April 8, 2010
Those who know me know that I loves my Blaxploitation films, and Slaughter is definitely one of the better ones. Starting off with a literal bang, a car explodes in flame resulting in the death of Vietnam vet/Green Beret Slaughter's parents. Slaughter (football player Jim Brown) goes on a rampage, searching out those responsible for his parents' death, and his search leads him to Mexico where he hooks up with the feds to take down a major crime boss. The REAL man he's gunning for is none other than a young-ish Rip Torn, whose delightfully demented in this outing. Though Slaughter is smart enough to avoid the advances of sexy sista Marlene Clark (Ganga from Ganga and Hess) and her naked "narrow ass" (a fine but all too brief nude scene). The film makes it up to us by providing sub-plot involving Torn's lady, the ever-so-sexy Stella Stevens engaging in several sex scenes with big bad Slaughter. Her nude scenes are terrific by the way! Also, the film features an excellent Slaughter theme song in the opening credits, which, if I'm not mistaken, was partially used in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. Anyways, the story is ridiculously over-the-top and campy for it's time, but it's certainly a great chapter of such a unique and fun sub-genre of film. Overall, Slaughter is a blast!
½ April 6, 2010
Never mess with a man whose name is also a verb.
½ February 20, 2010
A fairly standard plot is improved by some funky direction and some nasty violence. Jim Brown, Stella Stevens, and Don Gordon are a lot of fun to watch, and Rip Torn is awesomely crazy as the racist villain (his final scene had my friends and I laughing pretty hard). This is certainly good for some laughs, especially at the hair and acting of the mob boss. Slaughter is a solid Blaxploitation film.
½ February 1, 2010
After Coffy, Jim Brown‚??s Slaughter is my favorite Blaxploitation hero. ‚??It‚??s his name, and his business.‚?? They killed his mom and dad. Big mistake. Slaughter heads to South America to hunt down and kill Rip Torn‚??s shaggy joker faced hitman (and to bag his kept lady Stella Stevens). Sure, the film drags a little in the middle but loads of gruesome goons, violent shoot outs, the terrifyingly ugly Don Mario, and the sideburned sidekick Harry make this one of the genre‚??s best. Jim Brown is badass. VF.