Splash Reviews

October 27, 2012
Decent. Both these actors got better as they years went on. Don't expect tour de force performances here.
October 1, 2011
Popular fantasy by the Brian Grazer and Ron Howard team is a crowd pleaser due to the writing efforts of Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel, and the charm of its leads, Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah.
DreamExtractor
½ August 15, 2011
Boring and stupid, but a good hearted romance.
CloudStrife84
May 3, 2007
Cute and charming love story. Without the wonderful cast and Ron Howard in the director's chair, this could easily have sunk into the abyss of cheesy fantasy rom-coms. But thankfully it doesn't and keeps its head above water. I've never been a big fan of Darryl Hannah, but she's quite lovely here as Madison the mermaid. As for Tom Hanks and John Candy, well, they just give me another good reason as to why they're two of my favourite actors. The scene where they pose as two Swedish scientists, with Candy saying "I have a 14 inch penis" in my home language, is absolutely priceless. So ignore the silly premise and give this film a try. For I dare to say that it's a little better than it seems.
½ September 6, 2010
A funny romantic comedy with two good actors, but the whole mermaid thing was kinda crazy, I'm not sure this movie was a good idea, but it's pretty good anyway.
October 25, 2009
A fun, well-acted movie concerning a man who falls in love with a mermaid. Very funny, especially when Eugene Levy pops up. Haven't seen it for a while, but I remember really liking it, and the chemistry between Hanks and Hannah is infectious. Definitely worth a view.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
I freaking GREW UP on this film. Oh, Ron Howard. Thank you for this.
½ September 8, 2009
"Splash" was a big hit when it first hit the screens back in the 80's and it's still fairly popular today. A man (Tom Hanks) that has been waiting to find the right woman for a long time finally finds her. But there's one problem that he doesn't understand until he really gets to know her, she's a mermaid (Daryl Hannah). How will a man and a mermaid work it out and stay together?
"Splash" is a real entertaining movie and it's not all drama. It tells a story of true love and it does have a lot of drama in it, but it also has a little bit of comedy to it in some parts, and most of that is credit to one of the best comedy actors ever, John Candy, who plays as Tom Hanks's brother. If you like good movies, I definitely recommend getting "Splash." It's bound to make a big splash while you watch it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
September 27, 2008
Good.
movieguru12
March 21, 2008
Good but they didn't need to kiss every 5 seconds!!!
½ December 28, 2006
This is the usual fish out of water story. Sorry, I had to say it. The acting was fine but the story was pretty plain. You could have put any gimick in and it would be the same movie.
Tom Hanks was pretty good and you could see that he was more than just a comedy actor in some of the scenes.
I ha never watched all of the credits before though and this time I saw something I had never scene before. We are shown a small shot of the underwater city where the mermaid had come from. That was pretty cool.
I liked that john Candy and Levy were in the flick too. They both did good jobs.
puffchunk
½ October 13, 2007
been a while.
½ August 10, 2007
"My name is EEEE"
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Movie about a man who meets a mermaid.
July 13, 2007
A charming story where Tom Hanks is saved by a Mermaid (Daryl Hanah), twice in his life. He takes her in, and has to look after her various needs. John Candy was great as the brother character. An important milestone movie for all the cast and Director Ron Howard's first big film.
June 19, 2007
A good fun, romantic comedy with 2 great leads and a top director.
March 2, 2007
I liked Tom Hanks in his pre-Philadelphia days.
garyX
½ February 23, 2007
Efficiently likeable romantic fantasy with a decent cast and John Candy to provide the laughs.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 11, 2007
strange but cool, made me wanna hook up with a mermaid
deano
November 8, 2006
This superb comedy fantasy has Daryl Hannah as the mermaid emerging onto dry land and Hanks as the gawky young man who falls for her, unaware that there's something fishy about her story. Really great and it's rated over 14 years old.