63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Star Is Born Reviews

July 20, 2014
I didn't like Esther's "big break" but other than that, it was a good picture
John B

April 7, 2014
This oft repeated film started off here with all the guts and determination of a woman who must make it in Hollywood. This remakes the best version.
Alec B

March 30, 2014
The satire is pretty light, but you really wouldn't expect a hard hitting take-down of Hollywood from a Selznick production. Compared with the two remakes that followed, this one is actually the funniest (no doubt due to Dorothy Parker's involvement with the screenplay) and its that coupled with the performances of Gaynor and March that makes the whole thing worthwhile.
February 27, 2014
While exhibiting all the traits of the American dream, this film also manages to have a few twists thrown in as well.
I can see why it was nominated for Best Picture back in 1937 (it was also neat that they actually went to the Oscars in the film), but there have been three films that pulled from the common themes found herein: "The Artist", "All About Eve", and "The Lost Weekend". These three managed to win Best Picture.
January 28, 2014
my least favorite of the 3 versions of this
TheFeldster
January 2, 2014
"A Star Is Born" is one of the great stories of dreams vs. reality, and an interesting critique on Hollywood culture, but the film is starting to become incredibly dated, which a sweet tone that doesn't really match what is, in essence, a very dark story.

Still, the acting, from Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, is very fine, and this film has some great things to say. I am yet to watch any of the remakes (and there is a third remake reportedly on the way), but I found this to be an OK film, and I think a prototype for better films that were to come.
December 28, 2013
One of the most memorable and haunting Hollywood dramas ever produced chronicles the love story between two actors, one a rising star, the other a falling one. Totally capturing the drama of the entertainment business and not afraid to show its darker sides, this film wonderfully juxtaposes the glamour of Hollywood with its squalor, although never disregarding comic relief, particularly in the performance of Gaynor as the small town girl who makes it big equally matched by the charming and yet troubled Frederic March.
December 29, 2012
a spectacular story of triumph, struggles and dreams
November 26, 2012
Powerful, and contemplative of Hollywood and what it does to and for us. With unforgettable characters who tell a tragic story of the struggles of the stars. No wonder it was remade twice and also influenced "The Artist". Danny McGuire and May Robson support the great cast to tell a touching story of overcoming adversity and staying true to one's self and your family.
November 10, 2012
Great story with a great cast beautifully brought to the screen by Selznick. For me Devine was fantastic. The story got better as it went on and continued to draw me in. A real gem.
AJ V

September 25, 2012
This is one of the original "young girl goes to Hollywood to become famous" movies. It's a little too optimistic, by our cynical POV today, yet isn't completely a glossy picture either. It seems a lot like what could have really happened with young celebrities back then, maybe, if they were attractive and very lucky, which she is. The cast is perfect in their roles, though, so it's an enjoyable movie to watch with drama, comedy and romance. So, it's pretty good, and like I said, one of the originals, but not the best of this kind of movie.
June 27, 2012
While a classic and the first of three and staring the first Oscar winner for best actress, Janet Gaynor's charm is really the only plus to this otherwise dry film. It is poorly acted, the story is dull and the copy I saw was awful! The story moves too fast to be believed and in the end nothing matters, a star isn't born, but created; while that is the point, it becomes more about the fall of her husband than her and moreover is a less interesting version of "The Artist"! I hope the others aren't this bad!
Adrian B.
June 27, 2012
Although it has to be said that most likely the best version of this story is 1954's version with Judy Garland and James Mason, the original 1937 movie is also quite fine in its own way. In this one, Esther Blodgett (Janet Gaynor) travels from her small town in North Dakota to Hollywood to pursue her dream as an actress. There she struggles, picking at best a job as a waitress, thanks to her friend (Andy Devine), at a party for big movie stars, including one Norman Maine (Frederic March), who gets her into show biz. However, his career is in decline thanks to his various issues, including alcoholism. Acting, production, and flow of story are pretty much first rate, as is the story and photography. Like the 1954 film, this one is also worth the watch.
June 4, 2012
How many movies have they done with this title--gee whiz lol.
May 27, 2012
I love early technicolor, and this film is just coated with it! Great story, great performances, and great COLOR!
May 25, 2012
I watched this on TCM (Turn Classic Movies) a few months ago for the first time. I had seen the 1954 version once before, and, although I'm a huge fan of Judy Garland, I enjoyed this version better. I love the romance and the occasional humor in the movie. The script is exceptional, and so is the cast. Janet Gaynor portrays the vulnerable and loving starlet Esther Blodgett (Vicki Lester) very well. And Fredric March does a wonderful job portraying Norman Maine, Esther's washed-up actor husband. As I once heard someone say, this was definitely Fredric March's show. He is magnificent. I recommend this to anyone who loves the Golden Age of Hollywood or anyone who just loves a great romance (albeit a tragic romance). This has become one of my all-time favorite films.
PatLongworth
April 10, 2012
Surprising, heart-warming, very well worth watching as the young girl with a dream, makes it big and marries a star and stands by him through all his troubles until he commits suicide.
February 24, 2012
Janet Gaynor is the girl who travels to Hollywood to become a star. She is too old for the part -- but hey she does become a star with the help of Frederic March who is a leading man gone off the rails (in a well-tuned performance). Her star rises as his declines. Various character actors fill out the story which is melodramatic but pretty absorbing (if you like Hollywood navel-gazing). Early technicolor but director Wellman doesn't do anything fancy with it.
July 26, 2011
People say the Garland version is better, but this still looks cool.